GML Solved - String Width but ignoring line breaks

Hello! I've got a text box that gradually fills with text, typewriter-style. I wanted to draw a little "cursor" at the end of the string being displayed, but I seem to be having some trouble.

The problem is that string_width (and string_width_ext) does not seem to actually return the line width, instead it returns the width of the "box" containing the string. When my displayed string "breaks" (like by using \n) to a new line, string_width doesn't change its value until the length of the new line exceeds the earlier one (that is, the "box" width has increased).

I can think of some workarounds here (breaking up the strings more, using a fixed-width font) but it seems like there must just be some function or feature of a function that I'm missing?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
string_width is the width of the entire string. You could get the effect you want by splitting the text at the final newline, get the height of the part before the final newline (which is where the top of the cursor would be) and get the width of the part after the final newline (which is the left side of the cursor).

(Rather than splitting the actual string you're using, you'll have an easier time if you create two copies of it for the two substrings)

Thanks! Disappointing but I'm glad to know I'm not missing something.

Since my strings can contain multiple \n's (and I want the cursor to follow the end of the text as it types in), I'll create a copy of the string, split out each line into a new string, count up the widths of each, and then just store those results rather than keeping multiple strings around.

NightFrost

Optimally, you'd want to write a script that does line feeding for you, so you can quickly move it from project to another. You'd preprocess the string by splitting it into individual words at spaces. Then the draw routine loops through the word array and counts the position of each word as it is drawn and the total width of current line. When width is reached that would exceed maximum width given to the script, the draw position would be set to start of next line and the word is drawn there instead. This also means if your UI changes, you don't need to do needless busywork repositioning all the manual line breaks you set.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
string_width_ext should - and, according to a test I did just now, does - by all means take line breaks into account, whether that's induced by the w argument or by manual insertion of line breaks in the string. Did you change the font to the one that will be used during drawing before calling it?

textYes.gif

(edit: well, almost the way I want! It appears in the wrong spot for a moment, but that should be easy to fix.)

I realized the method I described didn't really make sense, in my defense it was getting kind of late, ha ha. What I ended up doing was pretty simple, I just made a little text manipulator that cut out the lines of the string that had \n's in them, so as the message "types" in, the string_width is only checking the remaining text.

Code:
///CurrentLineWidth()
var baseString = argument0;
var n = 0;
var qPos = string_pos("\n", baseString);
while (qPos != 0)
    {
    baseString = string_delete(baseString, 1, qPos);
    n++;
    qPos = string_pos("\n", baseString);
    }
return string_width(baseString);
I appreciate the explanation of making my own word wrapper and may do that later, it's definitely in my wheelhouse now, ha ha.

string_width_ext should - and, according to a test I did just now, does - by all means take line breaks into account, whether that's induced by the w argument or by manual insertion of line breaks in the string. Did you change the font to the one that will be used during drawing before calling it?
Thanks, but I don't understand? And maybe I didn't explain clearly what I was trying to do. Here's what I get when I use string_width_ext (or the non-ext, for that matter) instead of the script I made, presumably functioning as intended, just not meant for this usage:
textNo.gif

Last edited:

Mert

For shorter calculations, you can try

Code:
var strw = string_length(text) * font_get_size(font);

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
For shorter calculations, you can try

Code:
var strw = string_length(text) * font_get_size(font);
It works for monospaced fonts, but the font OP is using clearly has different widths for different letters, so this quickly becomes inaccurate as string length grows (especially for strings with many M-like or I-like glyphs)