• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMS2: multiple people development, same project

Hi everyone, I have a simple question about team development.

I've been making my own stuff, toying around, learning,... on GMS2 since january.
I find myself driven, this is more than a passion now and in the distant future I might "go there"
and start releasing my own game. I barely game anymore, when I get home I flip open this
beefy gaming laptop and instead of Steam, I open GMS2. And I often go crazy. Often I find
myself still working on it at 3 o'clock at night (if I don't have anything going on the next day, like work or something). Vacations? That's "game making time marathon mode". It's beginning to dawn on me that this is what I need to do in the future.

Now, my wife has noticed, and she is currently on track to become a programmer herself,
as she is going through courses and will apply for jobs a few months for now. I myself am an engineer and math, logic,... is basically all I know.

I guess my passion rubbed off on her, and we both decided today to do this together. Since i'm artistic, graphics and sound will always be my side of it, but programming together might make some project a realistic pipedream to one day finish and release.

So really, it might be important to have GMS2 running on both our laptops
while still working on the same mutual project. Instead of watching a movie together, coding a game together seems like such a better usage of our free time.

Is this possible, how is this done if it is possible,...
The question is:
How good is GMS2 in team-related development?

I currently go back and forth between 2 laptops myself, but I always copy the project to a USB stick
and transfer it before I continue to work on something.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
You would use source control software such as Git for this. The project's repository would be stored centrally, such as on a home server or cloud storage, with each collaborator having a local copy of it, making changes to individual parts and pushing them back to the repository. Take a look at the Source Control page in the manual to get started.

You would use source control software such as Git for this. The project's repository would be stored centrally, such as on a home server or cloud storage, with each collaborator having a local copy of it, making changes to individual parts and pushing them back to the repository. Take a look at the Source Control page in the manual to get started.
Ah so it's as simple as right now. Right now, all the project files are stored on my laptop's hard drive. With this, such a "folder" would be shared right? I'll look into that, very interesting.

rIKmAN

Ah so it's as simple as right now. Right now, all the project files are stored on my laptop's hard drive. With this, such a "folder" would be shared right? I'll look into that, very interesting.
You'd use something like GitHub or Bitbucket to host the repo online.

@TsukaYuriko Are there still issues with merge conflicts due to the .yy format or have they been solved now?
I remember seeing posts about an extra comma in the files causing loads of issues but work alone so have never encountered it myself.