Legacy GM How can someone new to game maker use GMS 1.4, without a license?

Dr_Nomz

I tried to give a copy I downloaded to a friend, but they can't use it. Isn't 1.4 supposed to be free? Why aren't they able to use it?

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Isn't 1.4 supposed to be free?
No, it's supposed to be deprecated and unsupported. Free copies of GMS1 were included with new purchases of GMS2 for a transitory period, but that was removed when support for GMS1 was finally dropped.

The official FAQ even states this explicitly:
upload_2019-10-29_21-7-31.png

Why aren't they able to use it?
No idea. Could be licensing issues, software compatibility issues, or lack of motor or cognitive skill.

I tried to give a copy I downloaded to a friend,
You might or might not have just admitted to software piracy, which is usually a pretty bad thing to do on an official forum for the thing you're using.

R

robproctor83

Aw c'mon, give the kid a break he doesn't know. Tell your friend to go download his own copy. Tell him to do it through Steam, that is the best way I think.

Dr_Nomz

Wait can you get GMS 1.4 on Steam? I only saw Studio 2... for 80 bucks. :/

Also it is NOT piracy to download a FREE program! 1.4 is and has ALWAYS been free, just like GM 1.8.1 and older.

C

Catastrophe

Also it is NOT piracy to download a FREE program! 1.4 is and has ALWAYS been free, just like GM 1.8.1 and older.
If that software was not meant to be free for someone else, as in this case, it is piracy, and it's probably in the EULA I'm sure. I don't think anyone believes you had ill intent (and it didn't work anyways due to a lack of licence), but its pretty clearly piracy so I would really just delete the topic >.>

But yeah all of those other older copies are illegitimate too unless you previously owned them.

That said I don't understand the point. GMS2 has a free 30 day trial?
https://www.yoyogames.com/get

Last edited by a moderator:

CloseRange

Also it is NOT piracy to download a FREE program!
you're right! it's not:
Piracy: the practice of attacking and robbing ships at sea.
wait.... that doesn't seem right :confused:
the unauthorized use or reproduction of another's work.
technically it is piracy even when YoYo Games did support 1.4
If they themselves did not give it away. It's piracy. Weather they cared or not, well doubtful but now they do!

If anyone cares in the Eula section 3.6 in regards to Accessing and Using the YoYo Games Property:
YoYo Games grants to you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable, limited, worldwide licence for the licence duration specified at the time of purchase to: (i) install GameMaker for your personal use on up to three devices in order to develop and publish Publisher Property (e.g. assets and games); and (ii) distribute the runtime portion of GameMaker in object code format only as an integrated and inseparable part of your Publisher Property to third parties to whom you license your Publisher Property, subject in each case to your full compliance with the terms of this User Agreement and payment of all applicable fees. If you would like to discuss a multi-user arrangement please contact [email protected] first.
Note that even if it's free you still accept these terms and so purchase of the product still applies (even though there was no money transaction)
part i states you may only have 3 persanol copies on separate computers.
part ii states you can only distribute the runtime part of game maker (this would be if you compiled your code and distributed that, or if you gave someone a game project that they could open in their copy of game maker)
and at the end it says if you want to do a multi-user arrangement (that's what you just tried to do) you need to talk to them first.

Even if a program is free at one point doesn't mean it always will be. Just like if something goes on sale at a supermarket.
If everyone could just get game maker 1.4 for free they'd sell a whole lot less copies of game maker 2 and they are still a company after all and need to pay the bills too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yal