• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Botanical Box

woodsmoke

Grow plants in fast-motion. Currently you can collect sun with leaves, then grow branches, roots and stem. If the ground drys out leaves fall off when hit by sunlight.

- to grow you need to collect sunlight
- click on roots to grow up
- click in stems to grow branches

Last edited:
D

darthlupi

upload_2016-6-22_22-49-29.png

I grew something!
It felt just like my hobby of growing veggies. Very random.
It would be nice to know when I could grow something.
Like perhaps have the roots or stem glow a bit when they could be grown?
Maybe change the cursor to happy face or something?
Also, was I in charge of both plants? I couldn't tell what the goal was.

Still I found the experience pleasant.

woodsmoke

When the sugar (C6H12O6) bar is full (by collecting light) you can build a root or branch. When the bar is full and more sugar is produced you can't see it currently. I need to change this so you can see all the whole sugar stockpile. I'm thinking of small bars (sugar and water) which appear over the plant when the cursor hovers above the plant. But glowing could be cool too. I was thinking of adding a quick glow effect on the leaves when they get hit by light.

Cursor will be changed soon. A shovel to plant the seed and sth else when growing.
Yeah maybe an indicator when you can grow, nice idea darthlupi!

Normaly you start as a seed. I forgot to remove the other plant.
When there are two plants they are linked currently, which is unintentional.
I don't know how to separate the plants yet. The game is still in early development.

The game is still missing a win/loose state. Plan was to overshadow other plants to win. Too little light and the plant dies. Branches need to go out more horizontally. I'll be changing that soon.

I forgot to say in order to grow roots or branches to the right you have to right click.

Thank you for playing and commenting.
May your veggies be spared from nasty parasites!

Last edited:

woodsmoke

BZZZZ

Added random stones. Roots can now grow down.

New download coming soon. Not quite ripe yet.

Last edited:

woodsmoke

Fresh download.
Weeded out bugs.
Grew some instructions.

Now I will add some kind of exchange to trade seeds for different seeds.

Last edited:
F

FROGANUS

doesnt start on dinky laptop (i wouldnt worry)
"
Botanical_Box.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point InitOnceExecuteOnce could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll
"

seems really cool. i will try n run it on my other machine.

D

Dengar

question. will the plants have names? like types of plants, and if you do will they be known varieties or madeup varieties?
I like plants so this would have a lot more value if the plant I was growing was a certain type, even if its a madeup type aslong as it sounds n looks kool.

woodsmoke

The plants are made-up. I'm also thinking of adding a crazy futuristic plant.

Usually I try to use as few words as possible in my games, but I very much like the idea of naming the plants, because this is a botanical game. Thank you for your constructive feedback. I will give them silly Latin names.

Edit:
The left plant is called "Jackus Beanstalkium", middle one is still unnamed, on the right "Longaz Grass".

Last edited:

woodsmoke

FROGANUS thanks for your effort. I will check my PC for viruses thoroughly and do a back-up while I'm at it. Then I'll do a new download, will all the current features.
Progress is slow yet steady, just like the new snail:

A time-speed-up option has beed added. I plan on making it a "power-up" which you can buy late in the game, when you have too much ?money?. It changes the room_speed to 360! Is room_speed=360 a bad idea? It sure does make my CPU fan rev up a bit.

Last edited:
Neat! I don't think I've ever seen a game like this before. It's pretty interesting in a somewhat educational way. This game has the potential to teach children how plants grow and what must happen to make them grow.

woodsmoke

^ Nice big grow you did there. Ausgezeichnet!

Searched PC with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware: nothing found
Searched PC with Avira Anti-Virus: nothing found

[ Middle Mouse Button ] main root grow down
[ R ] reset game

cheats:
[ W ] gives you water
[ 1 ], [ 2 ] speed of time =1, speed of time =6
[ S ] adds sugar to plant Longaz Grass

At the main menu you can click RMB to get to the (unfinished) seed table, where you can pick up and drop seeds using LMB and RMB.

The new roots for the still unnamed plant.

Last edited:

woodsmoke

It's flowers are also finished now:

Before growing the player tosses seeds to hit icons for extra water, time speed-up, new seeds, and shovel to plant seeds.

Last edited:
P

Pelican

As someone studying environmental science (and someone who liked Plant Tycoon way more than they should), this looks awesome! I'll download it and give it a go. :)
I'm really interested in what direction you'll decide to take this. :D

woodsmoke

Cool. Haven't heard of Plant Tycoon before. Even I don't know where this project is growing.

~ Flowers ~
work in progress

Now I have sprites for all (6) plants. Tomorrow I'll create objects for the (3) new plants.

Last edited:

GMWolf

aka fel666
This seemes like a really cool unique concept! I can see this becoming a tycoon game easily.
Ill have to try it out first thing tomorow whe i turn on my pc!

woodsmoke

I've been working silently. Polishing plants, making menus, delicate details ......
New animal.

Concept drawings

Last edited:

woodsmoke

- added seasons (limited time to reach flowering), UI
- flowers turn into seeds when season has ended, seed stash is saved when game is closed
- all plants have different (dis)advantages
- help screen (how to play the game)

Still don't have names for the pink, yellow and blue flowering plants.

woodsmoke

Thunder screen shake effect 1px bigger.
Increased prettiness of clouds.
Fixed shovel bug.
and more..

Botanical Box is finished content wise now.

Questions:

Does the game work on your PC? Any slow-downs?
Are the controls clear enough to start the game and grow?
Is it too easy/hard to collect seeds?
What do you think is the biggest weakspot of the game?

Name it Botanical Box, or Photosynthesizzle?

Last edited:
I

irvinmujcin

Ok how to play game or i dont know how to start what is controls
I got plants in one hand but can put on other hand

woodsmoke

When you have seeds in your right hand you throw them with right mouse button.
To start a game you must hit at least one shovel with a seed.

I'll add a sign.

woodsmoke

Download 16MB
Botanical Box 0.9.5

- added LMB and RMB signs at main menu and right hand
- plant grow UI updated, controls appear when mouse hovers over plant when growing is possible
- seed re-throwing disabled
- watering can emptying in seed room fixed
- season and sugar UI smaller
- plant balance

Still need a help screen, and still thinking about adding grow animation.

I

irvinmujcin

This is good concept of game.
Animation is good to put and what about some story or i dont know some missions that you must do hm...
But you give good example or idea.
I subs for this for more in future i am not creator but will be good to make some missions or i dont know like sims or simulator where you must help to grow botanic again help to save planets,dont know many many ideas have but you are creator