• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker How to make rain in GMS2

Night-Ninja

so i want to create an object that can constantly fire out rain sprites downwards with a bit of spread to make it more random i'm just not really sure how to go about doing this.

Neptune

Highly recommend: https://host-a.net/f/72939-particledesigner25zip
Been using for a few years, it's great for quickly prototyping a particle effect.
It has an option to "export to GML"... which gives you the code for your effect -- which is a bunch of built-in particle functions, with their values tweaked accordingly.

It will save you countless trial & error times of running your project.

I'd be glad to help with the actual coding of it also, just let me know.

Last edited:

obscene

A few rain textures moving at different speeds is much more efficient than particles. Save the particles for slpashing effects and such.

C

CombatCalamity

A few rain textures moving at different speeds is much more efficient than particles. Save the particles for slpashing effects and such.
Particles in itself is already quite efficient enough. It's fine to use it in moderation, not to mention its ease of use, simplicity, etc. Also, you most likely won't notice the difference anyway unless your game is 'that' demanding that can really use the efficiency difference between the two.

obscene

Particles in itself is already quite efficient enough. It's fine to use it in moderation, not to mention its ease of use, simplicity, etc. Also, you most likely won't notice the difference anyway unless your game is 'that' demanding that can really use the efficiency difference between the two.
Not sure if use-in-moderation can apply to rain though, unless you're doing a very retro pixel style or simulating a very light sprinkle. To make convincing rain you need hundreds of raindrops if not thousands.