• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Build and SDK Settings for Marshmellow 6.0 (API 21) ?

Hello,

I have a specific device - uses ARM, Marshmallow.
It's not possible to update device as many of our other projects use the same device.

So, after 2.2.4 update, and installing whatever SDKs needed to the best of my understanding. GMS is refusing to compile for API 21.

First time, I got an error related to Min SDK being 9, whereas it requires 14
Second time around, it was "Android Resource Linking Failed" (After I put Min SDK to 9)

Can someone please let me know what do I need to do to compile for ARM, Android 6.0, API 21 ?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
2.2.4 will not permit you to build for any API under 28, iirc. The build tools have changed since google no longer accepts any apps submitted with a lower API level, and the old build tools have been deprecated.

Since I have a Steam Install that updates automatically, even if I reinstall everything it probably won't solve anything.
So, how do I revert to older versions ? Is there any official link to download ?

Can I maintain two different versions ? Non Steam (Older) and Steam (Current) on the same machine ?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Okay, so on checking, you should still be able to make APKs for devices running older Android versions from API 16 and upwards. You need to set the TARGET and COMPILE sdks to API 28, but the minimum should be okay with 16+ as long as you aren't using any of the updated extensions which I think require a higher minimum API level. This should permit the APK to be installed on an API 21 device.