GuiGM - A Window and Gui extension, any interest?

J

JimmyBG

Hi all,

A while ago (back in January) I made an extension for creating windows and GUI elements in GameMaker.

See topic old forum topic here: GuiGM - A Window and Gui extension

GUIGM.png

Just wondering if anyone was interested in seeing this developed further and released on the marketplace.
I know there are a few assets related to this on there already, but most cost money and either focus on windows or GUI elements but not a full system with them together.

Would be free or max $0.99. (I'd like to have 'pay what you want' but the marketplace doesn't support this)

Let me know what you think :)

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Heat4Life

You should've place this thread on the Marketplace Thread...

J

JimmyBG

Ah but its not an existing marketplace asset, neither is it really about the marketplace, already asked it to be moved to the appropriate place :)

GMWolf

aka fel666
Mods will move it if its not in the right place :)

I think its cool, we don't have enough GUI options in GM, despite the couple assets made available.

None of them quite hit the spot for me, with my favourite being the zui engine.

What I would love to see is a layout engine of some sorts, and some better support for your own widgets.

Honestly, with marketplace assets, the more the merrier. It's always better to have more options then less options. If I had more time, I'd probably release some free assets myself, some of which have paid alternatives.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Honestly, with marketplace assets, the more the merrier. It's always better to have more options then less options. If I had more time, I'd probably release some free assets myself, some of which have paid alternatives.
I would rather have more options, and then still have as many options :p

J

JimmyBG

I agree, having more options is always good, often inspires more people to have a go.

@Fel666 Layout engine is a good idea, haven't seen much of that. In terms of custom widgets, you'd like a framework that you can attach any custom object to so it acts and is treated like a widget?
E.g. a custom slider, graph etc.

GMWolf

aka fel666
I agree, having more options is always good, often inspires more people to have a go.

@Fel666 Layout engine is a good idea, haven't seen much of that. In terms of custom widgets, you'd like a framework that you can attach any custom object to so it acts and is treated like a widget?
E.g. a custom slider, graph etc.
exactly that. So far the extesion i used havent made it hard to do so, but didnt include many utilities to help you out.

J

JimmyBG

Are there any other features you would look for or want from this kind of system?

Tthecreator

Your Creator!
I'm actually making something like this (look at my signature).
And I'm almost finished. It has a lot of more positioning options, and the designer has come a long way (works just amazing if I say so myself).
I did plan on selling it for a profit.
Mine is also a bit for framework based. Since I'm not some graphical designer I'm not that good at making buttons and stuff.
But I'm allowing the maker to use it's own sprites an other assets on the objects.
And the options are just big, since I've been working on this for a few months now.
It's great you're making this and with your price being next to nothing, I might definitely notice that in my sales.
I'm almost done and the asset will be launching within a few weeks, after making some more tutorials, since this thing does require some documentation.

GMWolf

aka fel666
My favourite UI system so far is the one included in libGDX. its quite simple but its incredibly effective.
You should check it out to get ideas. Its open source too so you can get a look at the code.

J

JimmyBG

@Tthecreator - I'll definitely be interested to see this, and how you implement it.
@Fel666 - Thanks for the recommendation, it does look pretty damn good, too bad its not written in gml :p