• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Mouse_button (pressed) stays down on touch devices (Galaxy S5 and higher)

Ehsan

Pirates vs Clones
Ok, first of all I posted this to many forums, even android forums, with no replies/solution. Also posted on the yoyogames' tech blog and like to post one here as well (faster and broader community)

I'm starting to think it's a bug but mouse_button(_pressed) gets stuck on android(Galxy S5+ 6.0+) when a large skin touches the screen. SAd fAce:( !
Note that released is never triggered since button is not lifted up.

Like this:

When I do this (so a large skin simultaneously touches the screen):
touch.png
Scaled down with paint*

Done so far:

Devices tested on (Bug occurs Yes/No):
- Galaxy S5 (Android 6.0.1 ) - Yes
- Galaxy S7 (6.0) - Yes
- Galaxy S2 (4.1.2) - No
- Moto E (2014) (5.1) - No
- Shield Tablet 1 (6.0.1) - No
- Tablet Galaxy tab 3 Lite (4.2.2) - No

Code tried so far (so you don't have to):
- Mouse_clear

- device_mouse_check_button_release (this is not triggered since _button is not released)

- Check for multi-touch - didn't help because the issue here is that the side of your hand is registered as one giant finger

- mouse_check_buttons instead of device

- Tried on a new project - with all of the mouse functions there is (pressed, global pressed, button, global button)

- Played with SDK - deleted up to API 17 - no changes

My code:
Code:
if device_mouse_check_button(0, mb_left)
   {
   //device_mouse_dbclick_enable(false);   //I also tried setting this to false (per step)
   cnt+=0.5; 
   } else if device_mouse_check_button_released(0, mb_left) cnt = 0;

Please, remove to other forum (if bug) where it fits best!

But is it a bug?

How can I workaround it?

Last edited:

Ehsan

Pirates vs Clones
Not exactly sure what this would impede
A lot of stuff specially on touch screen. Jump height by holding down finger could increase to max without you knowing, when it's stuck it won't trigger button function for the next touch, and so on. Could really ruin game play if it's a fast paced gameplay.

Anyway, will report so they move it. Thanks.

Oh I see it's not a forum...

Roa

A lot of stuff specially on touch screen. Jump height by holding down finger could increase to max without you knowing, when it's stuck it won't trigger button function for the next touch, and so on. Could really ruin game play if it's a fast paced gameplay.

Anyway, will report so they move it. Thanks.

Oh I see it's not a forum...
Wait, is it holding it down that is the issue, or touching a large area? I thought it was breaking because the area of touch was too large to register properly?

Ehsan

Pirates vs Clones
Wait, is it holding it down that is the issue, or touching a large area? I thought it was breaking because the area of touch was too large to register properly?
It's holding it down.
(You're not suppose to see cnt incrementing if no touch is registered - white circle not shown)

*AND what you thought - doesn't register it properly, no.

**I think, when a large skin touches the screen, the coordinates are lost - when removing your "skin" the up coords is not the same as down coords. In which case it won't "release"/let go of mouse_button, returning 1.

Roa

Ok, yeah, that's not good. I thought in your video and by the diagram that you were talking about how too much contact over an areas breaks the sensor, which may or may not be a limit of the phone (but yoyo should still have a revert to default state)

Yeah, I would link them this thread and explain what is going on if you are confident in how you coded it. I wouldn't think it would be user error if it was different on a per device basis.

Qual

Hi, Be sure to check if you have any "touch features" enabled in your phone. ( like tapping twice to wake up, 3 finger scroll down to take a screenshot.. that kind of stuff )

They may interfer with how game maker studio handle inputs.

Ehsan

Pirates vs Clones
Thanks but i already tried those. Its Samsung Galaxy itself. Couldn't found any Galaxy forums to report the issue though. Or maybe I should look better when I have the time.