Steam Myth Bearer [Adventure/RPG]

John Bailey

Screenshots:

Myth Bearer is an open-ended adventure game that seamlessly blends RPG mechanics and puzzle solving, all rendered in glorious low-res pixel art! Actions taken during your journey are permanent - enemies don’t respawn, consumed items are forever gone, and story events have profound impacts on the world. Are you ready to brave a mysterious world full of danger and fortune?

Update: Myth Bearer is now on Steam, wishlist today! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1453450/Myth_Bearer/

Features:
  • Full mouse control, with the option to use WASD/arrow keys for movement.
  • Open-ended, interconnected level design.
  • High potential to sequence break and skip story chapters.
  • A dynamic game world that changes as the story progresses.
  • Unlockable challenge mode.
Created by @JC_Bailey1112.

Download@:
Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1453450/Myth_Bearer/
Itch: https://jc-bailey.itch.io/myth-bearer
Game Jolt: https://gamejolt.com/games/mythbearer/442391

Last edited:

Joe Ellis

I love how small the graphics are, they're like as small as possible. Looks like it'll be fun to play aswell, I'll have a go of the demo soon

M

markchapman

Just by looking at the screenshots I like your tile set, I can't seem to get the tile set art down. Looks great.

Roa

So uhh... it's die a lot till you out DPS the game?

Kinda like it, mostly hate it.
All you can do is throw yourself at enemies and walk from spawn until you break through. There is zero player skill involved. Never pickup coins so you don't lose them like the game encourages you to do. Lots of time wasted walking from spawns, and armor and weapons make almost zero difference too in the grand scheme of things. That 1-2 bonus never adds up in the long run vs just simply leveling up your strength. It doesn't scale, its just a direct static addition which doesn't change the the amount of hits to kill or live in a fight.

Very cool concept my guy, but unfortunately, terribly executed. It's basically just a monotonous clicker in disguise. It sounds kinda harsh, I see the work you put into it, but it can be so much more. It's good to see another king's field fan though.

Also, found a glitch
blue tile is walkable, red is blocked.

Last edited:

John Bailey

So uhh... it's die a lot till you out DPS the game?

Kinda like it, mostly hate it.
All you can do is throw yourself at enemies and walk from spawn until you break through. There is zero player skill involved. Never pickup coins so you don't lose them like the game encourages you to do. Lots of time wasted walking from spawns, and armor and weapons make almost zero difference too in the grand scheme of things. That 1-2 bonus never adds up in the long run vs just simply leveling up your strength. It doesn't scale, its just a direct static addition which doesn't change the the amount of hits to kill or live in a fight.

Very cool concept my guy, but unfortunately, terribly executed. It's basically just a monotonous clicker in disguise. It sounds kinda harsh, I see the work you put into it, but it can be so much more. It's good to see another king's field fan though.

Also, found a glitch
blue tile is walkable, red is blocked.
@Roa I was made aware of the design mistake with the death penalty pretty quickly, and will be changing it in an update that's going up today. The new penalty will subtract XP instead of gold, which will hopefully encourage players to be more strategic in their approach. Also, you aren't actually meant to die at all, as it's entirely possible to kill every enemy in the demo without dying. Really, the game should probably have permadeath, but since the full game will be 2-4 hours long, I thought I'd give less skilled players a bit of leeway. I'm hoping the death penalty change will convey this better. Thanks for playing anyway.

And thanks for pointing out the bug, I've already fixed it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Demo V1.1.0 is up, changes include:
  • Changed death penalty to XP loss on death instead of gold.
  • Minor bug fixes.
Enjoy!

Last edited:

Roa

@Roa I was made aware of the design mistake with the death penalty pretty quickly, and will be changing it in an update that's going up today. The new penalty will subtract XP instead of gold, which will hopefully encourage players to be more strategic in their approach. Also, you aren't actually meant to die at all, as it's entirely possible to kill every enemy in the demo without dying. Really, the game should probably have permadeath, but since the full game will be 2-4 hours long, I thought I'd give less skilled players a bit of leeway. I'm hoping the death penalty change will convey this better. Thanks for playing anyway.

And thanks for pointing out the bug, I've already fixed it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Demo V1.1.0 is up, changes include:
  • Changed death penalty to XP loss on death instead of gold.
  • Minor bug fixes.
Enjoy!
I completed the demo, it still had a grip on me. Couldn't find the enemies to get to level 14 though. Got half way through level 13

John Bailey

Devlog #1:

After a week-long break, I'm getting back to working on Myth Bearer. I'm expecting to have the full game finished and ready to download by the end of November-early December. Expect to see bi-weekly devlog updates until then.

Anyway, thanks to all who played the demo. Thankfully, only 2 bugs have been found and fixed so far, and they were both very minor. So the game seems to be in a very stable state right now, and I already have a huge list of design things that I want to change for the full game thanks to all the feedback.

If you'd like to learn more about the development of Myth Bearer, I did a test stream of the demo where I happen to talk a bit about the game and it's development. Warning: some profanity.

(sorry about chat not being visible).

Last edited:

John Bailey

Update:
Myth Bearer Demo V1.2 is here!

Demo V1.2 changes include:
- Changed the death penalty to respawn the player with half hp, instead of subtracting xp.
- Added a death counter message near Lake Ignis.
- Rewrote some of the NPC and message dialogues.
- Minor bug fixes.

Note: V1.2 save data is not compatible with previous versions.

Download From:
Itch.io: https://jc-bailey.itch.io/myth-bearer

Last edited:

John Bailey

Devlog #2

A release date for Myth Bearer has been set, expect to see a download for the full game on January 7th! ...In the meantime, I recently finished mapping out the overworld, here's a complete overview.

Last edited:

John Bailey

Devlog #3

Now that mapping of the overworld is wrapping up, I'm starting to map out the remaining content of the game! A few locations situated below the world of Myth Bearer include a sewer system, a mine, and a mysterious ancient labyrinth. There also lies "Zor's Tower" to the north, where tough enemies are said to guard a rare treasure, what could that treasure be?

Yrbiax

Hey, i tried your game.

At first i didnt really like it, but was somehow addictive so i kept playing :D

It felt bit frustrating when i couldnt make any progress without dying over and over.
I dont think you can expect player to know exactly right order to do things,
especially when necessary items and low level enemies were scattered around map.

Music was bit repetitive so i think it would be good to have mute button in game.
(i know there is option in main menu, but you cant get there without restarting game)
mythBearerEnd.png
I dont know if this is were demo is supposed to end since there was still lot of enemies that i hadnt killed.

Last edited:

John Bailey

Hiya. Congrats on the game. I've just purchased it and am already impressed by the amount of polish on it. Good luck meeting your goal!
Thank you for your support, hope you enjoy the game!

Will purchasers during this time period receive a Steam key?
I'll be adding a bunch of Steam keys on Itch to make sure that all buyers can get a Steam key from their purchase, regardless of when the game was bought. I'll try to keep plenty of keys stocked up on Itch, but if they ever run out, all anyone has to do is PM me and I'll add more.

Last edited:

John Bailey

Myth Bearer V1.1 has arrived! Changes include:

- New unlockable Start+ challenge mode.
- Ring of Power has been nerfed.
- "Freeze" spell effect now lasts forever on non-boss enemies.
- Some minor tweaks/fixes.

If you already completed the game, load up your save and you should see a message saying that you've unlocked Start+. Enjoy!

Download From:

Itch: https://jc-bailey.itch.io/myth-bearer

John Bailey

Myth Bearer V1.2 is now available! This update adds greatly improved visuals & sound, among other things. (It's basically a remaster)

Changes include:

- Color palette and tileset upgrades.
- New lighting system.
- New higher quality sound effects added.
- Music sound quality greatly improved.
- New map marker feature - click on the minimap to place a map marker, right click to remove.
- Adamant armor is now a bit easier to get to.

Trailer and screenshots have all been updated too. Enjoy!

Sisyphus

Played the demo and had fun so far. I think my favourite aspect was the way you've laid out the map so you have to pick your battles to avoid dying whilst still levelling up and getting the items. I think you've used the pixel graphics to good effect and the UI is straightforward. I initially found the font to be a bit hard to read but I realise it's meant to be pixelated. I wonder if there is a pixel font easier on the eye? I also found the music repetitive, although it is well-suited, perhaps there could be longer, more varied loops.
Overall, congrats on releasing this nice and polished. game