GameMaker GMS 2 tearing problem [SOLVED]

[Solved]
What I did: I make the dragon shoot the fire bullet.

Problem: If there is no background, it works perfect. Only when I add the background in, the problem in the image happens. The bullets or anything that "move" will be tearing.

What I try to fix: I delete the background, I recreate the background sprite, open the project on different machine and os (macos and window) but nothing works.

I encounter this error (in the image).
imgur.com/a/S9f9HcD

Last edited:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Is the background partially transparent?

If so, make sure you're also drawing a solid color background behind it. Drawing nothing over a specific portion of the screen between the current and previous step will result in the previous image not being cleared. This will stack until it creates the effect you see in the image.

If so, make sure you're also drawing a solid color background behind it. Drawing nothing over a specific portion of the screen between the current and previous step will result in the previous image not being cleared. This will stack until it creates the effect you see in the image.
Oh god, THANK YOU SO MUCH. I've been headache because of this :'(. SOLVED

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
If so, make sure you're also drawing a solid color background behind it.
This topic is an odd coincidence for me. Been puzzled a few days over a similar mistake. I had two background images: one with a large transparent center (!), and the other solid which I intended to use. Unfortunately, they look identical against my IDE room-editor background. So somehow I imported a transparent version and used it in one room.

So I had previous-step text on screen when that room started. Surprisingly, even after a game_restart () . Guess I just figured that clearing the application surface was part of game_restart().

Anyway, good catch @TsukaYuriko.