Free On Duty (Ultra-violent, retro, side-scrolling shooter)

viicty

It's 1993 and you play as a deranged LAPD detective whose colleague got murdered. Get revenge by slaughtering half of the underworld in this retro, ultra-violent, side-scrolling shooter. Aggression and speed are the only elements that will keep you alive. Variety of weapons and an amazing synthwave & vaporwave soundtrack are there to help you.

Features:
- Tons of blood
- Story
- 10 challenging levels, 3 bosses
- 20 weapons, each weapon can be used to execute an enemy
- Synthwave, vaporwave and dark ambient soundtrack by Catsystem Corp, Daniel Deluxe, Lazerpunk, Ugasanie, and Xerxes the Dark
- Retro visuals

Gameplay tips:
- Combos and executions heal you up
- Get 5 stars on a level to increase your max health
- Melee weapons are most efficient against enemies with guns and vice versa
- Plan all your moves ahead
- Nearby enemies can hear your gunshots
- Use shotguns at close range
- Shotguns can destroy doors

Controls:
- A, D: Move left/right
- W: Use stairs
- Left mouse button: Attack
- Right mouse button: Pick up/throw a weapon
- Space: Execute an enemy

DOWNLOAD, SCREENSHOTS, MORE INFO: https://viicty.itch.io/onduty

Last edited:
At the moment survival feels like sheer luck even with the right weapons and dodging via stairwells. I'm unhappy with the controls since I am lefty with a mouse and there's A + D + space. I'd recommend some alternate keys like left + right arrows and keys instead of the mouse since you don't need to aim and controller support. Other than that it's a great game.

viicty

Thanks for all the feedback!
At the moment survival feels like sheer luck even with the right weapons and dodging via stairwells. I'm unhappy with the controls since I am lefty with a mouse and there's A + D + space. I'd recommend some alternate keys like left + right arrows and keys instead of the mouse since you don't need to aim and controller support. Other than that it's a great game.
I know, the game makes you feel a little hopeless in certain situations. Especially if you're a new player. However, after hours of testing the game, I'm able to finish it with ~3 deaths every time (this makes me believe that it's possible to get better at the game, learn certain strategies, etc.). That's why I decided to keep the difficulty as it is, although every tester ragequitted. I'll definitely add some alternate keys! Controller support might take a while since I don't own a controller.

Thanks for all the feedback!

I know, the game makes you feel a little hopeless in certain situations. Especially if you're a new player. However, after hours of testing the game, I'm able to finish it with ~3 deaths every time (this makes me believe that it's possible to get better at the game, learn certain strategies, etc.). That's why I decided to keep the difficulty as it is, although every tester ragequitted. I'll definitely add some alternate keys! Controller support might take a while since I don't own a controller.
You're good at the game because you made it, and have played it so much. If every tester ragequitted, why leave the difficulty as it is?

pixeltroid

However, after hours of testing the game, I'm able to finish it with ~3 deaths every time (this makes me believe that it's possible to get better at the game, learn certain strategies, etc.). That's why I decided to keep the difficulty as it is, although every tester ragequitted.
Hi. If the game is so difficult that it makes testers rage quit, then it may be a good idea to tone down the difficulty. You don't have much of a guarantee that people will keep playing to get better at it. At some point people will just quit and move on to something else, and you'll lose your audience.

I'm speaking from experience. :(

Last edited:

viicty

I guess you're right, but I've always liked challenging, hardcore games so I created my own challenge for people who like challenges as well. If anyone quits without finishing the game, that's okay. I'm grateful for everyone who gives it a try, since this is my first finished project.

Make an easy mode then. Call it rookie mode, give us a bullet proof vest that takes 50% of the damage. You can even keep players from playing the final few levels on easy. That's what some of the 16-bit era games did.

It's not even a challenge so much as it feels random. Weapons are random. Melee doesn't kill enemies so you sit there clunkily hitting them as they hit you back.

We like your project which itself is an achievement, we just want it more playable to enjoy it more.

Last edited:
Alright, I gave it a more serious try. I figured out what the hints were telling me all along. Get the melee attackers with guns, get the gun attackers with melee. Works far better that way... until the randomness gives you melee in a house full of guns where there are two gunmen per room. Some gunmen conceal their weapons and just stand around. So it becomes needlessly difficult to melee one while the other shoots you. Even exploiting the staircase becomes an issue because many times two gunmen will just kill you by the time you reach the stairwells... just like in real life.

I got used to the controls although I still recommend other controls.

viicty

Make an easy mode then. Call it rookie mode, give us a bullet proof vest that takes 50% of the damage. You can even keep players from playing the final few levels on easy. That's what some of the 16-bit era games did.

It's not even a challenge so much as it feels random. Weapons are random. Melee doesn't kill enemies so you sit there clunkily hitting them as they hit you back.

We like your project which itself is an achievement, we just want it more playable to enjoy it more.
I actually like your idea. I'll add an easy mode.

viicty

You claim this is LA, but based on what I've learned from South Park, they are clearly Canadian
Exposed.

By the way...

Version 1.0.0.1 is now available!
- Added an easy mode, use A, D keys (or arrows) in the level menu to switch between modes
- Added alternative controls (Ctrl to attack, Shift to pick up/throw a weapon)
- Fixed some bugs and spelling errors

DOWNLOAD: https://viicty.itch.io/onduty