Real Time Strategy Game Development

Morendral

Here's an RTS game I've been working on using the RTS Engine I've built.

Let me know what you think!
You have a very nice Warcraft clone going on here, keep up the good work. It's nice to see more of this type of genre and not another platformer.

B

Booyaa

It is really like warcraft, but graphic looks very nice and game is smooth. I like rts games.

Very nice indeed!

I played on Easy, and got pasted a couple of times. A bit embarrassing.

I couldn't match in battle, so I eventually just went full tower defence, and covered most of the map. I had him cornered, when I got this error.
of Key Press Event for <Escape> Key
for object obj_construction_site:

Unable to find any instance for object index '105793' name '<undefined>'
at gml_Object_obj_construction_site_KeyPress_27
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Object_obj_construction_site_KeyPress_27 (line -1)
Which is a bit unfortunate!
I also had a few little glitches where I'd go to build towers, and the 'ghost' of the tower was there, but the building was never built. Kind of odd, but visual issue only. Sorry no screenshot.

Some feedback:
  • I need to be able to see the prices of units/items. It was really frustrating to be clicking and getting 'no gold' all the time.
  • You need to give the option to configure the hotkeys. It's basically a must. P for Peasant might seem intuitive for a new player, but many RTS player really wants to have his grid layout!
  • Idle Peasant hotkey? For AOE2, I'd use mouse scroll down for idle villagers. I can scroll down when I'm not micro'ing to jump to the nearest idle.
  • Speaking of hotkeys, the overlay says (T) is for tower, and (T) is for Town hall. But (H) is for Town Hall.
  • How about store 'Race' details externally? Something to think about for down the track. Would make modding potential: If the unit graphics and the unit attributes are stored externally, then a player can update the graphic set, and set their own unit attributes (speed, range, attack, armour). Which might be a bit of fun. Although someone *might* just create a race of trash can, that throw cans of coca cola.
Edit:
Got another crash:
Code:
of Destroy Event
for object obj_enemy_peasant:

Trying to delete non-existing path.
at gml_Object_obj_enemy_peasant_Destroy_0
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Object_obj_enemy_peasant_Destroy_0 (line -1)
called from - gml_Object_obj_knight_Alarm_1 (line -1) - <unknown source line>

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your "tower game" crashed! Haha.
I agree that I need to add the prices of the units to the GUI. That is frustrating!
Thanks also for the other feedback.
Did the mini-map glitch out on you when dragging the window around? That's bug I haven't been able to figure out yet.
Do you think "Easy" is too hard?

Last edited:
Did the mini-map glitch out on you when dragging the window around? That's bug I haven't been able to figure out yet.
There's a windowed mode? I don't know how to get to a windowed mode.
I did at one point, but that was by a mistake. (and and the mouse position was messed up, so I had to close it)

Do you think "Easy" is too hard?
Maybe! Or I'm just a pleb, haha. I'd maybe make easy feed in smaller armies. An army would turn up, and if I didn't have an army (or towers) ready, it kind of overwhelms.
So maybe just a slightly weaker army, and a little bit longer before army gets stronger knights start rolling in.

I haven't tried the other difficulties yet to compare. I was trying to notch a win first, to see how it happened, but I got those two crashes each time I was closing in with my towers. =))

There's a windowed mode? I don't know how to get to a windowed mode.
I did at one point, but that was by a mistake. (and and the mouse position was messed up, so I had to close it)
Well there is a windowed mode I believe. You can hit Enter to go windowed. But I wouldn't suggest it.
I was talking about dragging the rectangle around in the minimap.

Bentley

Wc3 is one of my all time favorite games. I am about to play a game after I type this lol. Keep it up!

Awesome! I still play it 16 years later too, and I pumped for Reforged!
Did you play my demo? My game has a lot of War3 features in a retro looking style.

Hey guys! Here's another update:
The biggest change is that I zoomed the view out so you can see more of the map. Also I added a level with a quest in it. You need to build 4 farms, a barracks, and kill all of the enemies in the area. Let me know how it goes!
You can play the latest demo here: http://bit.ly/RTSBuild02

Good to see you keep working on it: Played the simple quest: Beat it, and still enjoying the game.

Additional feedback:
  • No sound/mini-map notification on fighting: This is useful. I didn't even realize my men were fighting at the bottom till I checked.
  • Still: Add configurable hotkeys! Even if it's just a text file to start with (you can add the GUI for it later). I know 'P' for Peasant makes sense for new RTS players, but I've got buildings hotkey'd to 1, 2, etc. If I hit 1 or 2, I want to just hit the keys just below: Q, W, or E or one of those grids to queue up more units. Really important for smooth RTS play.
I noticed some little improvements on the GUI: Like prices, so great to see things coming together.

B

Booyaa

It looks great.
Some sound notifications in game would be great. Like finishing upgrade and fighting. And a sound when I cannot build something or train unit is very loud.

Every medieval RTS game needs to have some way to heal your units. In this video I'll show you how clerics and healing fountains work.
I've also added a Battle Mode and a Score Screen.
Try out the demo! http://bit.ly/RTSBuild03 Please share this with your friends! Let me know if you find any bugs or have any feedback! Thanks!

KiMPo

Hey, I tried this out and it's super fun! Simple and old school but really fun. Is this based on the engine you have on the game maker marketplace? I'm super keen to get it / do my own version and modify it as I've been playing around a little with RTS and have always wanted to create my own.

I believe this is the one I'm talking about though not to sure if it's the latest / updated recently for GMS2?

RTS Complete Engine

Anyway, thought I'd let you know rad stuff and keep up the work.

Kind regards,

Guy