• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Chances of GM2 becoming available for Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elsi11

Hello!

I am entrenched in GML, and in Linux. I'm too lazy to reinstall my inferior OS because it's only been one year into my 4-year OS-change cycle. I'm grasping at straws, so give me some hope or advice.

Firstly, is there any chance of GM2 working with Steam Proton?

Secondly, is there any chance that GM2 will be ported to Linux? I saw some old reddit post where the guy quotes the YoYo CEO, talking about GM2:
ThePC007 ‏@ThePC007 24 Jul 2014 @lordoftheyoyo @_nadine @YoYoGames Will it also run on Linux?

Sandy Duncan ‏@lordoftheyoyo 24 Jul 2014 @ThePC007 @_nadine @YoYoGames Qualified “yes”. The code is very portable.
I have a tolerate-hate relationship with Linux, but somehow mentally, I find programs that support Linux more "legit" and "community friendly". Like Godot. But man, for the life of me, I'll never get used to those Unity-like engines with all the variables on your right.

What do you think?

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Get another 2000 people who want it, then let YoYo know, then you might stand a chance... otherwise, the market is just too small, and the maintenance cost too large to even consider it. (well, I'm assuming this is still the case... but you never know...)

Ricardo

I like Linux in Desktop. I've used Linux in Desktop for years! Even so, I understand why YoYo doesn't embrace the idea of having the GMS2's IDE on Linux. Business are business and they have already enough to worry about.
Plus, if you are serious about game development, you don't tie yourself to use only Linux. Is just unfeasible considering the market.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
It's the smallest user base with the highest support costs associated with it.
THIS. If making a game to run on Linux is an absolute pain due to fragmented distros, all with their own quirks and customisation, then I can't imagine what a pain it would be to try and make an IDE that makes games run on it! I released a game for Mac, PC, and Linux using GMS2 some time agao, and 99% of the support issues came from the 0.05% of linux users, even though I specified that the game was only designed to run on a specific (Ubuntu) distro. I will no longer be exporting games for Linux because of this.... sinking most of my time into something for the least number of users is just not a viable way to work.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Linux is like picking a flavor of icecream at a freezer section

No matter what you choose someone can't have it
Let alone in this case 0.05% actually want the ice cream

So it is not worth it to get the ice cream no matter the flavor

Replace ice cream with linux and freezer section with linux export

L

Lonewolff

Linux is like picking a flavor of icecream at a freezer section

No matter what you choose someone can't have it
Let alone in this case 0.05% actually want the ice cream

So it is not worth it to get the ice cream no matter the flavor

Replace ice cream with linux and freezer section with linux export
Linux is like picking a flavour of Linux at a Linux export?

That makes even less sense than making the GMS IDE run on Linux.

E

elsi11

Wow, that Wine tutorial is great. At least I have a chance of getting it work. Can someone deny or confirm that GM2 is working with Proton automatically?

Also, I would like to know whether, if I get a Steam version, can I somehow link it to my yoyo account so I can get also the normal .exe, or does it only work the other way around (where you get a steam key if you buy directly from yoyo?)

And guys, if we go along with the ice-cream analogy, then you can say that there are like 2-3 distinct flavours of ice-cream ,and the supposed "variety" you get is only from deciding whether to put on sprinkles, or powder, or chunks or syrup on the top. 90% of all the distros are based on Debian or Arch. Ubuntu is basically Debian, infused with a bloated desktop environment (of which there are like 5 main ones - condiments)

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Also, I would like to know whether, if I get a Steam version, can I somehow link it to my yoyo account so I can get also the normal .exe, or does it only work the other way around (where you get a steam key if you buy directly from yoyo?)
Yes, you can. Once you've got the Steam version, log into your YoYo Account and link your Steam account (if you haven't already) then you should be able to download the desktop executable.

Roa

Every game dev ever tells me when people request linux and they finally give in, they don't buy or use it anyways. Not in proportion to the people that requested it anyways. I've never heard a story where it has ever gone smoothly or not wasted momentous amounts of time and resources than it could ever give back.

Linux is never worth it, sad to say.

Ricardo

Every game dev ever tells me when people request linux and they finally give in, they don't buy or use it anyways. Not in proportion to the people that requested it anyways. I've never heard a story where it has ever gone smoothly or not wasted momentous amounts of time and resources than it could ever give back.

Linux is never worth it, sad to say.
This is an excellent point. I use Linux, but I won't buy GMS2 again if they release the IDE for Linux as I already own it.
The real point here, from the business perspective, is: How many new sales will YoYo make if they release the Linux IDE? Not a lot, probably they could count the first month of sales using their hands.

Ricardo

chunks or syrup on the top. 90% of all the distros are based on Debian or Arch. Ubuntu is basically Debian, infused with a bloated desktop environment (of which there are like 5 main ones - condiments)
Linux is a kernel, and different distros have different versions of it, plus different packages available (even when they're based on the same base). So the big issue here is to make sure the distro you are running have all the dependencies the YoYo's runner needs in order to run (plus make sure the versions of these packages are within a compatible range). There's a reason why the main distros has their own repositories, and usually most of the packages are specifically compiled for it.
Again, I like Linux in Desktop, but as a long term Linux user, I understand all the hassle and all the disadvantages. Make a commercial product for Linux (Desktop) that pay itself is probably one of the harder things to achieve given the current market situation.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I use Linux at work every day, even the super-ancient Ubuntu 16.10 feels better than Windows 10 because it doesn't constantly actively get in your way... the drawback being that you need to fix a lot of stuff yourself whenever you want to do something new (unlike Bloaty mcMoneyface 10 that has every app ever created pre-installed). I kinda feel like the only reason Linux flavors hasn't taken over the PC market is (a) people are stupid and lazy, so they don't appreciate it, and (b) since almost nobody makes working Linux ports of things, people don't wanna switch over because that makes [app they wanna use] not work, so they keep a windows computer just for that.

Left-field unrealistic idea: how about starting a Kickstarter campaign to port GM to Linux, and if it collects enough donations to meet the expected development costs to port it, Yoyo has to, otherwise the idea is buried? (there would be a backer tier that gives you a license for the new Linux IDE if you donate as much as a GMS2 license costs)

Ricardo

I kinda feel like the only reason Linux flavors hasn't taken over the PC market is (a) people are stupid and lazy, so they don't appreciate it
No offense, but I feel like that's a naive and a bit arrogant view. The reason why Linux hasn't taken a bigger share of the Desktop market yet is a lot more deep and complex than that.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Left-field unrealistic idea: how about starting a Kickstarter campaign to port GM to Linux, and if it collects enough donations to meet the expected development costs to port it, Yoyo has to, otherwise the idea is buried? (there would be a backer tier that gives you a license for the new Linux IDE if you donate as much as a GMS2 license costs)
And what about the next update? All the testing that goes into that..... and the next one.... and the... etc.

It's not just about the release, it's about all future releases and bug fixing. Ongoing costs are what kills the idea.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Left-field or left-wing? There's no hope of that happening.

First of all, YoYo is not mom-and-pop stand anymore. It is a corporate subsidiary. It is in NO POSITION to unilaterally make such outlandish commitments, or bet a business decision on the results of what's essentially a truth-or-dare gamble.

Second of all, even if they raise the funds on Kickstarter to start it and PlayTech stands by it (both highly unlikely scanarios to start with), keeping it going is another financial and logistic issue that remains unaddressed. And despite the efforts of current and former YoYo staff repeatedly stating that upkeep is an issue, it is seldom raised or addressed by the userbase.

Seriously, if people keep putting up these "Kickstarter Kumbaya" proposals, while continuing to ignore that YoYo is now a corporate subsidiary and that sustaining the IDE requires ongoing income, that's one way to guarantee nothing will happen. It paints an awful caricature of who the Linux IDE is actually for, assumes a degree of autonomy that YoYo doesn't have anymore, and fails to allay any financial concerns about starting and maintaining it.

How about this: Let's take Kickstarter and all the democratic crap out of the equation, and assume a dictatorship by economics and supply-and-demand the same way a corporate subsidiary is run. After all, that's what YoYo is now.

The business case for a Linux IDE is weak for reasons already mentioned. If you want a Linux IDE, you have to explore alternative points and make them convincing from a business standpoint, instead of a personal or community standpoint.

A use case I'd go for is retention of educational clientele, which had a 50%+ jump according to this post. I work at one, and the upcoming retirement of Windows 7 is forcing many institutions to contemplate the Windows-vs-Linux choice. Those interested in STEM education are increasingly choosing Linux over Windows, and vendors who can't go with this flow risk getting dropped. Over the next couple of years is key to whether this point holds as a business case, and if Windows 10 is genuinely the final Windows, also the very last opportunity for it to happen.

While a Linux IDE satisfies this use case, I think a web-based IDE is a stronger fit still. It runs on any platform that has a standards-compliant browser (which means virtually ALL Linux distros with a GUI), and all binary issues are taken care of by the likes of Mozilla and Google. And it allows for expansion to Chromebooks, which schools are now using A LOT. Furthermore, there are runners like Electron that allow HTML5-based clients to run seamlessly on Windows and Mac, so adopting this new framework could save on future front-end development costs too. It'll be at least GMS 3 before this happens, but if it does, it'll be a radical evolution that I'll definitely stay on board to watch.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
There IS one very interesting case for Linux, and while I'm not at liberty to mention it, if it DOES come off... Linux being Linux... it could have some knock on's.

So while just porting to Linux is a dead as a Dodo... there are things that "could" make if feasible, but that depends on YoYo and Playtech agreeing that it's got commercial legs. So don't totally give up hope - you never know...

L

Lonewolff

A use case I'd go for is retention of educational clientele, which had a 50%+ jump according to this post. I work at one, and the upcoming retirement of Windows 7 is forcing many institutions to contemplate the Windows-vs-Linux choice. Those interested in STEM education are increasingly choosing Linux over Windows, and vendors who can't go with this flow risk getting dropped. Over the next couple of years is key to whether this point holds as a business case, and if Windows 10 is genuinely the final Windows, also the very last opportunity for it to happen.
Strange. I work for an education institution also and we have migrated almost all of our several hundred thousand PC's to Windows 10 without issue. Education is far from running to Linux from where I stand.

At last check we run the second largest Windows domain in the world.

From a big business perspective it would be stupidly to 'pick up your bat and ball' and move to Linux out of spite and without good reason.

Steam has Linux being at a paltry 0.8% market share and Windows at 96.2%. If you think that Windows is dying, then your perspective is a little skewed from reality.

E

elsi11

Ehh, it's a sad situation all around.

On one side, you have an OS with limitless potential, which hinges on its own powerusers. Linux has a low marketshare because its most vocal and powerful parts refuse to understand that in 2019, a fresh user should NEVER have to use the terminal. You can bet your house that the average users on Windows and OS X don't have to google solutions to the most minor problems which should have been a button or toggle. Anyone suggesting that perhaps Linux should be more new user friendly (why do you think the 'buntu distros are the most popular compared to the rest?), is met with dismissal, ridicule, and the infamous "RTFM" remark. Steam has made giant strides in making windows programs work nicely on ANY Linux, so I can't see how the community couldn't have done this ages ago. Furthermore, it is no secret that most of Linux software is just vastly inferior compared to the popular market leaders.

So you have the insurmountable (for some average user) entry-requirements, the lack of GUI, lack of good programs, lack of compatibility with windows programs, and then people wonder why Linux is not popular.

I have had Linux for 3 years or so, and it has been a chore from day 1. Currently I have it set up how I like it, and I have sheets upon sheets of notes describing how to re-create this setup (because going through the difficulties of finding solutions to the myriad of minor problems would just be too much). I like it for being so unpopular the no hacker would bother attacking it (though an app-based firewall with proper GUI is non-existent still in 2019., so you can't block a Steam multiplayer game form the internet as easily as on other OS-es), for being focused around the FOSS concept and sharing of code and improving it (though I feel that the dispersion of effort waters the quality and progress rate of everything down), privacy, and "haxxing".

So yea, I can attest to the objective fact that Linux is the most inferior of the top OS-es. But it is free and cool, and I like it just as much as I despise it.

Personally, I don't think that such minor amounts of money should be a factor in porting a program to Linux. It should be common courtesy. At the very least, and I ask nothing more, to make it easy to install and run. No need to support it or whatever, but there should at least be a person who will make sure to figure out how to make it work on Linux-es or through Proton, and make a tutorial. All I ask.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Strange. I work for an education institution also and we have migrated almost all of our several hundred thousand PC's to Windows 10 without issue. Education is far from running to Linux from where I stand.

At last check we run the second largest Windows domain in the world.
While education in general is far from adopting Linux wholesale, STEM education in particular is starting to slant towards Linux unlike others. While I was a student at the institution that I now work for, all the machines in the lab reserved for computer science and math students run Ubuntu. Given how Linux is starting to get industry traction (especially in web development and cloud computing), they are finally taking notice and acting accordingly.

YoYo don't really have to care if Windows or Linux is behind the computers writing scripts for the Drama department or proofreading essays in the English department. Their main target audience is the Math and Computer Science departments.
From a big business perspective it would be stupidly to 'pick up your bat and ball' and move to Linux out of spite and without good reason.
Except those in the educational sector aren't necessarily what I'd call "big business", but more so school boards, individual schools and even school clubs. YoYo will have the stats and contacts on those, and if their contacts start moving to Linux, they'll know and they'll act.
Steam has Linux being at a paltry 0.8% market share and Windows at 96.2%. If you think that Windows is dying, then your perspective is a little skewed from reality.
Would you say that there aren't men in this world based on the market share of sanitary napkins?

If you think that Steam's statistics on market share is representative of school computers, then your perspective has no clue what sampling bias is.

L

Lonewolff

If you think that Steam's statistics on market share is representative of school computers, then your perspective has no clue what sampling bias is.
As I said... The education dept I work quite large and I am yet to see a single Linux machine set foot in any of our five thousand schools.

THAT coupled with Steam's home user statistics, my background in education, retail, and big business, gives me a reasonable perspective of what is happening in the real world. ;)

I can't say I have ever walked in to a retail store and be served by someone who is running Ubuntu. Look at all of the POS machines in the supermarkets. They all run Windows, as do the servers supporting them.

Just because you saw a computer lab once with a couple of Linux machines, hardly makes for a compelling story.

E

elsi11

The reported market share is somewhere between 1.5% and 3%. It makes sense for some computing department to switch to Linux because they can handle such an OS, and they don't need good market-leader programs and IDE-s because it is good enough to install 5 programs, and code in any notepad with syntax highlighting. A school might also choose to save money by getting Linux, but on the other hand, maybe they are limited by old custom programs that they already have, which work only on windows. If you want to teach kids advanced excel, photoshop, or CAD, you are bound to choose a Windows. So just stop fighting. You are both right. Linux is good and great (could be better though) for certain kinds of stuff, Windows is better for other kinds.

Personally, I used the LTSB version of Windows for some time, because my coding mentor told me not to bother with Linux if I intend to play games or do anything beside coding on it (and he was right), but the scummy practices (on top of extreme privacy issues) were absolutely enough to embrace the FOSS way of life, and even though it was a hard path, I managed to keep at it, even after switching like 20 distros.

Windows deserves all the hate that it can get, but currently, it is, except in the privacy department, the absolutely superior system for the average noob user.

Recently I learned that Apple claims to not steal your data, or at least, refuses to share it with others, which is nice. And some privacy dudes told me they have an Iphone (which was inconceivable to me because I thought they were jsut like Microsoft). But now, I dunno. I'm thinking of maybe switching to MAC. There are a lot of tutorials for making a "hackintosh" out of your regular computer. Only thing you need is an intel CPU or smt like that.

For now, I guess we are stuck at using Windows, OSX, a VM, or Ubuntu for Gamemaker 2. I bought it recently, and I have it currently on a VM. It's really nice, I like how you can increase the size of letters. I see people trying to act cool with super small letters (like 2k resolutions on a laptop), but why would I wish to exert myself trying to see something, if I can just increase the fonts. I have increased fonts on my browser too, it's great. You should try it. just change layout.css.devPixelsPerPx to 1.1 in about:config on firefox ;P

L

Lonewolff

A school might also choose to save money by getting Linux, but on the other hand, maybe they are limited by old custom programs that they already have, which work only on windows.
Public schools don't pay a cent for Microsoft and Adobe products (amongst other vendors). They get it for free under the Enterprise Agreement which is funded by the government (and heavily discounted to the government I might add). Doesn't come out of the school budget whatsoever.

For example, I get the full MS Office suite for free on five of my own home devices and I pay $12 per year for Adobe CC.

So the cost argument is really a non factor.

GMWolf

aka fel666
As I said... The education dept I work quite large and I am yet to see a single Linux machine set foot in any of our five thousand schools.

THAT coupled with Steam's home user statistics, my background in education, retail, and big business, gives me a reasonable perspective of what is happening in the real world. ;)

I can't say I have ever walked in to a retail store and be served by someone who is running Ubuntu. Look at all of the POS machines in the supermarkets. They all run Windows, as do the servers supporting them.

Just because you saw a computer lab once with a couple of Linux machines, hardly makes for a compelling story.
Hold up, not a single Linux machine?
Not even virtual machines?
Do you not teach operating systems and systems programming?

At our Uni we primarily used windows, but we also had Linux boxes available for all that type of stuff.

I would quite like to switch over to Linux actually. The thing holding me back right now is laziness, I'll do so when I get a new PC.
But when I do there is little chance I'll ever look at GMS again if I can't get it running in Linux.

But I understand it's not a good business strategy for YYG, the market simply isn't there.

L

Lonewolff

Hold up, not a single Linux machine?

Not even virtual machines?

Do you not teach operating systems and systems programming?
Nope. Not in Primary and Secondary schools.

And nope. Not a single Linux machine to be seen, there is no requirement for it.

There are a handful of OSX computers about. But they are pretty few and far between. Maybe one per every thousand PC's.

Tthecreator

Your Creator!

I'm studying embedded software engineer and not a single person in my class doesn't use Linux. It depends a lot of the field you are in.
Given that this is GAME maker and most GAMERS and thus also Makers are on windows.

L

Lonewolff

I'm studying embedded software engineer and not a single person in my class doesn't use Linux. It depends a lot of the field you are in.
Exactly!

Now what population of the planet are embedded software engineers?

As you said, it depends on what field you are in. You are in a niche field, therefore have niche circumstances.

Hell, I even use Linux (in some particular cases). But I'd never consider running a domain with half a million PC's on it and try to convert the masses.

It would literally cost billions of dollars to migrate my workplace over to Linux. Not even exaggerating there.

Last edited:
E

elsi11

But I understand it's not a good business strategy for YYG, the market simply isn't there.
I have no idea, but I feel like you fellows are really overestimating the amount of effort it would take to port this to Linux.

But as I said. It is a matter of common courtesy. At the very least to make it work once, and then stop supporting that OS. The bearest minimum to show that you care.
From my experience, good guy game developers generally support Linux, or use windows ports which are absolutely compatible with Linux with minimum adjustments. On the other hand, when I look at the evil corporate publishers who don't care about users any only about money, they generally don't hesitate to use third-party windows-exclusive dependencies that would break the game on a Linux. They don't seem to care at all.

I hope that Steam will eventually make Proton work with everything. As far as I understand, the current problems are with .NET and one other thing. if it can be made to work on Ubuntu, it can be made to work on every Linux..

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
I have no idea, but I feel like you fellows are really overestimating the amount of effort it would take to port this to Linux.
But as I said. It is a matter of common courtesy. At the very least to make it work once, and then stop supporting that OS. The bearest minimum to show that you care.
From my experience, good guy game developers generally support Linux....
First... it's really not that simple. Getting "something" running might be okay, but making "everything" work properly is a big task. From basic rendering to input/shortcuts, to system menus, to OS level audio, to getting the actual tools to all work on there. There's more to it than you think, especially with something the size of GMS....

Also, there are a HUGE number of distros, and as soon as you do one, you get requests from loads of folk asking for support for some bizzare one he compiled himself.

And you can't just release something "once" then stop supporting it. What if someone buys it thinking they can use it, and there are bugs, or the network login or DRM changes? Once you commit to a platform, you have to keep supporting it, simple as that. "To show you care"....... yeah... my arse. :D

And as to "common courtesy".... come on... get real. This is almost as bad as saying "it'll only take you 10 min...". In a commercial world you need reasons for everything, and I can assure you, this is never one of them. :rolleyes:

And "good game blah blah" is also rubbish. How many EA games are on Linux? How about Assassin's Creed? Yeah... there you go. Games only get ported for PR value, or because there's money in it - or because the person doing the game is a die hard Linux fan or something. Game devs don't support Linux "usually" as it's a waste of time and money.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Nope. Not in Primary and Secondary schools.

And nope. Not a single Linux machine to be seen, there is no requirement for it.

There are a handful of OSX computers about. But they are pretty few and far between. Maybe one per every thousand PC's.
Oh right, I assumed uni for some reason.
Fair enough yeah.

I have no idea, but I feel like you fellows are really overestimating the amount of effort it would take to port this to
It's more to do with support.
Yeah it would probably require minimal effort to get it up and running on Linux assuming they wrote their code in a nice platform agnostic way (like all code should be).

But then they need to test it. Every time a new feature is implemented, the Linux platform has to be tested. It's a lot more work!

GMWolf

aka fel666
Game devs don't support Linux "usually" as it's a waste of time and money.
I think Indies have the advantage of using newer code. And nice cross platform libraries.
For instance my personal projects use glfw, OpenGL and fmod/openal/portaudio as well as modern c++ and Cmake.
Porting to another platform requires 0 effort that way.

E

elsi11

Also, there are a HUGE number of distros,
Nah, bro, it's like, 2-5. Everything else is a derivative of a derivative and 90 % is the same. Beside, we are apparently playing a numbers game. The others are irrelevant. We all know what's up. If you supported Debian and Arch, you would be supporting 95% of Linuxes. Don't make a boogeyman out of nothing.

And I didn't say "good games", but "good guy developers". Which EA and Ubisoft definitely aren't. they are, like the opposite of that. So it is absolutely logical that they do the terrible stuff that I mentioned and couldn't care less about Linux.

And you could totally make Linux work as a common courtesy, and not even advertise it as "Linux approved". Then we don't have a problem. The Linux people will definitely check whether something works or doesn't. You don't need to support it. You just have to give that minimum amount of effort. You said that the code is agnostic. So where is the problem?

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Nah, bro, it's like, 2-5. Everything else is a derivative of a derivative and 90 % is the same. Beside, we are apparently playing a numbers game. The others are irrelevant.
As soon as someone compiles it themselves - and people do, they change options, an that's effectively a different, custom distro.

I know this from experience..... It's also why the GMS Linux export is "specifically" tagged to whatever Steam use - and even then, we got folk asking how to run it on their custom ARM steam build.

DBenji

Personally, I used the LTSB version of Windows for some time, because my coding mentor told me not to bother with Linux if I intend to play games or do anything beside coding on it (and he was right), but the scummy practices (on top of extreme privacy issues) were absolutely enough to embrace the FOSS way of life, and even though it was a hard path, I managed to keep at it, even after switching like 20 distros.
If I understand correctly, you represent a tiny minority - a gm user who prefers linux because you're paranoid about how privacy is handled on windows - even the ltsb wasn't enough for you.
Steam has made giant strides in making windows programs work nicely on ANY Linux, so I can't see how the community couldn't have done this ages ago.
Seriously? Are you really comparing a powerful corporation like valve who can afford and greatly profit from something as challenging as linux support to a community with a handful of professional engineers who would have no immediate financial benefit from the endeavor?
From my experience, good guy game developers generally support Linux, or use windows ports which are absolutely compatible with Linux with minimum adjustments. On the other hand, when I look at the evil corporate publishers who don't care about users any only about money, they generally don't hesitate to use third-party windows-exclusive dependencies that would break the game on a Linux. They don't seem to care at all.
Implying YYG are like an "evil corporate publisher" if they don't give in to your demands to support what you already admitted represents a tiny market share is downright childish and manipulative. There may be some valid reasons for linux support as others have stated, but your sentiment isn't compelling.

E

elsi11

you guys are no better than kids on reddit. mean, dismissive, one-uppidy, and non-constructive. bye

L

Lonewolff

Woohoo!! I've been described as young!! Time to find those hipster clothes and cap....
Nice! I'll pick you up at 9:00pm and we'll go clubbing!

Who am I kidding? Better make that 6:00pm, otherwise we will be paying for it tomorrow. :(

E

elsi11

Sounds like a reaction a kid on reddit might have.
A kid with principles would now refund the program, and go use the pirated version. Because if you can't be bothered to get money thrown at you, and your community readily makes (absolutely weak) excuses in your stead, then maybe you don't deserve it. If we top that off with the overly aggressive DRM that just hurts the customer, it is all clear. Tears should not be shed for evil corporations that only look how to exploit users and make money. They should be boycotted and their products not payed for. Exact same thing with games which use Denuvo as an anti-piracy measure. Not only does it not work, it makes everything worse. If you have no respect for your customers, then you do not deserve any in return.

That being said, and since there is no way to delete my account, I ask the admins to delete it under the GDPR law or whatver.
I want nothing to do with you guys anymore.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
A kid with principles would now refund the program, and go use the pirated version. Because if you can't be bothered to get money thrown at you, and your community readily makes (absolutely weak) excuses in your stead, then maybe you don't deserve it. If we top that off with the overly aggressive DRM that just hurts the customer, it is all clear. Tears should not be shed for evil corporations that only look how to exploit users and make money. They should be boycotted and their products not payed for. Exact same thing with games which use Denuvo as an anti-piracy measure. Not only does it not work, it makes everything worse. If you have no respect for your customers, then you do not deserve any in return.

That being said, and since there is no way to delete my account, I ask the admins to delete it under the GDPR law or whatver.
I want nothing to do with you guys anymore.
First... you knew what you were buying - if you've bought it. It's for Windows and OSX. It's pretty clear it doesn't support Linux.
Second... many asking for a Linux version have already bought it - so this wouldn't be new money as you don't pay for the IDE (unless you get the hobby one). So that's not much encouragement.

Lastly... you'll need to file an official request via the ticket system to have stuff removed under GDPR, you can't just do so via a post that may or may not be seen.

So long.... and thanks for all the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.