• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

OFFICIAL GMS2 Google Updates 2.2.4 Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Updated Android build toolchain
  • Added support for building projects using Android API 29
  • Added support for building projects using AndroidX (Android Support Library is no longer supported, so you need to update any extensions in your projects which rely on this!)
  • Added support for building a Google Play App Bundle package (toggle the file format drop-down in the Explorer/Finder dialog when clicking Create Exe)
  • Added support for injecting text into the Android "application tag" during builds (be aware some extensions need you to set android:usesCleartextTraffic="true" for allowing http traffic in Android API 28+)
  • Added support for specifying an Amazon TV banner image and have this packaged correctly in-game
  • Changed to a current version of Gradle (5.1.1), so now you can use current versions of JDK and more easily implement some of your own extensions
  • Removed the change of title to "[Game Name] (as Yoyo runner)" when doing a run (Create exe never did this)
  • Please note that our Google Play Services and Google Play Expansion extensions have been updated to match these changes and so won't build with older runtimes!
  • Functions: Fixed the OpenGL implementation of gpu_set_texrepeat(true) (0031303)

Also fixed:
  • Game Options: Added support for specifying an Amazon TV banner image and have this packaged correctly in-game
  • Game Options: Added support for injecting text into the Android "application tag" during builds (this allows you to set android:usesCleartextTraffic="true", which some extensions need for allowing http traffic in Android API 28+)
  • Game Options: Removed checkboxes to enable Google Play Services, Google Play Licensing and Google Cloud Saving on Android. These have worked for a few releases simply via the extension being in the project or not, and so the checkbox was misleading

Please note that the release notes mention several new or updated extensions are required for use with 2.2.4 - these are downloadable HERE until the Marketplace has been updated.

The Marketplace will not be updated with these new extension versions until 2.2.4 is out fully!

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally!!! Been waiting for this update. My request is finally here. Time to update my apps on the play store. Have some fixes for them waiting for release for weeks. Thank you very much. :)

After a couple of "Build Failed", and almost gave up. I'm happy to announce I've finally ended up with an .aab. At least now I'm certain my updated setup is correct and works. Now all I need to do is wait for the playstore staff to review and release the updated apps - which unfortunately now take days not hours to happen. :)

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Lol, yeah, unfortunately... Fingers crossed! And again, let us know how it goes.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
The Google/Amazon IAPs extensions are now downloadable via the link in the first post in this thread ("HERE"), but the Play APK Expansion extension is not ready yet. That will be fixed asap and then will be added into the Google Play Services asset alongside IAPs, Licensing, and Google Play Services itself, as the APK Expansion extension relies on the Licensing extension being in your project anyway....

Lol, yeah, unfortunately... Fingers crossed! And again, let us know how it goes.
I've received feedback for 1 of the apps. It's been rejected!!! And I've been given 2 weeks to fix it else they'll remove the app from circulation - they're retaining the pre-updated version for now.

I've identified the possible issue was because I unticked "Enable Access_Network_State permission" while I have Google Licensing extension in the app and allow to write to external. The pre-release test report shows the error as such. Anyway, awaiting for a re-review with the fix. I think the rest might experience the same fate, since it all uses Google Licensing extension, despite I didn't set the rest to request any permissions. LOL

In any case, I decided to remove all of my apps from the family program, it's too rigid and stringent as well as takes a long time to get approval. And adding them to the program doesn't help improve exposure on the store.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@Dan is GMS2 Google Update 2.2.4 release already anticipating this?:
https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2019/03/changes-to-google-play-developer-api.html
Is the GMS2 runtime using the old apis? because in 2.2.2 "something" triggers this:
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...per-api-version-v1-and-v2-used-by-gms2.67463/
Yes, this is a large part of why the Android toolchain is being overhauled in 2.2.4. That message comes from the legacy IAPs system in the runner in 2.2.3 and older. In 2.2.4, all IAPs stuff (for all stores) is also no longer part of the runner - it's purely from the extension.

I've identified the possible issue was because I unticked "Enable Access_Network_State permission" while I have Google Licensing extension in the app and allow to write to external. The pre-release test report shows the error as such. Anyway, awaiting for a re-review with the fix.
Let us know if your re-review succeeds or not.

Andrey

I've received feedback for 1 of the apps. It's been rejected!!! And I've been given 2 weeks to fix it else they'll remove the app from circulation - they're retaining the pre-updated version for now.

I've identified the possible issue was because I unticked "Enable Access_Network_State permission" while I have Google Licensing extension in the app and allow to write to external. The pre-release test report shows the error as such. Anyway, awaiting for a re-review with the fix. I think the rest might experience the same fate, since it all uses Google Licensing extension, despite I didn't set the rest to request any permissions. LOL

In any case, I decided to remove all of my apps from the family program, it's too rigid and stringent as well as takes a long time to get approval. And adding them to the program doesn't help improve exposure on the store.
That's why I had to make adjustments to this extension. Without modification my game not proceeded moderation GP (Designed for Families Program).

H

HW.

I am glad to hear that it will be solved on 2.2.4. I can't wait for the release of the full version. Thanks for the confirmation :)
Yes, this is a large part of why the Android toolchain is being overhauled in 2.2.4. That message comes from the legacy IAPs system in the runner in 2.2.3 and older. In 2.2.4, all IAPs stuff (for all stores) is also no longer part of the runner - it's purely from the extension.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Google Play APK Expansion has been fixed and is now part of the Google Play Services extension. Google Push Notifications has been updated to support AndroidX also. Both of them are now available from the download link in the first thread.

Neither have had any "in-game" changes, btw - simply this compiler fix for the extension's "imports" definitions so it builds in 2.2.4.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I am glad to hear that it will be solved on 2.2.4. I can't wait for the release of the full version. Thanks for the confirmation :)
By all means, join in the beta now and confirm the fix is all good in 2.2.4 - let us know if you do have any issues... That's why we're all on these threads, right? ;)

@Dan ,

Looking forward to an update for the extension. Thanks.

The case I experienced with my recently rejected update was due to 4 errors and 2 warnings thrown by the pre-launch test the system performed.

I think the 4 errors was related to my action unticking the "Enable ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE permission" - despite I have ticked "Enable WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission" and I've filled the Google Licensing Public Key.

While the 2 warnings was related to this "License Check" message;

Note: While I've the GooglePlayLicensingAsExt imported into the project, the only action I ever did was to tick the Android option and left the rest of the platform choices unticked.

Out of 12 updates I did to this app title to date, it's the first time it's rejected. It's the first time the pre-launch report return error, while the warning regarding the license check been around from day 1. I didn't think much of it until today because GP had allowed it through. I haven't receive any feedback for the replacement I submitted with the re-ticked enable Access_Network_State, nor have I heard back regarding the other apps I updated together with this rejected one.

Edit:

All the apps been rejected with the same verdict as the image I posted in reply#9 (above). If I can't get an approval by Oct. 1st, ..... :(

Last edited:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Note: While I've the GooglePlayLicensingAsExt imported into the project, the only action I ever did was to tick the Android option and left the rest of the platform choices unticked.
As mentioned in the release notes, the extension being in the project is enough to enable it. If you don't want the licensing extension, you will need to remove it from your project. The checkboxes are gone from the IDE now - where you mention unticking them, are you using the 2.2.3 IDE with the 2.2.4 runtime? That won't work properly for a number of these extensions.

What I meant was I only ticked "Android" inside the extension itself.
I meant in this state since v.2.3.0:

I wasn't referring to this part :

Which I understand the check box been removed. And yes I am using beta 2.2.4 with latest beta runtime. I do want to retain using the public key (which I censored in above image).

I'm going to remove my apps from the family program regardless, it's too stringent and annoying but haven't felt any benefit from joining it.
================
Edit :

@Dan ,

I can't decide which category this issue falls into in the helpdesk drop down list. LOL.
So I guess if you don't mind, I'll post it here instead;
Well like I mentioned earlier, the rejections are regarding 2 matters; error, and warnings. There is actually a 3rd issue which they categorized as minor. The 3rd issue doesn't seems to effect their decision to reject the apps - at least I don't think it is.

To clarify on my issue;
  1. Error message - need not looking into; it's solely due to my mistake - my action to untick the Enable Access_Network_State permission seems to be the cause. I though I don't need to enable that network access, but after considering the logic, with a public key in use, it's logical this access is needed.
  2. Warning message - that's the issue Andrey reported in regard to compliance with the Family Policy Program. I think Andrey is more familiar about this matter than I am. Furthermore, the apps that are currently in rejected status, I can't access the pre-launch report history. For some unknown reason, they blocked me from seeing their test report even for the ones that had been approved and published until I upload a replacement for their re-evaluation. In any case, you can see for yourself what I received through my email in the spoiler in this post.
  3. Minor issue message - this one is regarding text contrast for this:

What they told me regarding no. 3 - minor issue, are these;
  1. The item's text contrast ratio is 3.07. This ratio is based on an estimated foreground colour of #848484 and an estimated background colour of #662500. Consider using colours that result in a contrast ratio greater than 4.50 for small text, or 3.00 for large text. (Read : https://support.google.com/accessibility/android/answer/7158390)
  2. The item's text contrast ratio is 2.73. This ratio is based on an estimated foreground colour of #848484 and an estimated background colour of #DCDCDC. Consider using colours that result in a contrast ratio greater than 4.50 for small text, or 3.00 for large text. (Read : https://support.google.com/accessibility/android/answer/7158390)
They pointed the issue are with the buttons "Buy" and "Retry".

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
What I meant was I only ticked "Android" inside the extension itself.
I meant in this state since v.2.3.0:
Unless you manually changed that version number you show, that's not the correct version of that extension - it should be 3.1.8, as offered in my download link above. Android should already have been ticked and been the only platform which was ticked. (I doubt it will make any difference, tbh, but something to be aware of.)

I have now copied your rejection info and a link to your post into the report I made earlier - thanks for providing that.

It's part of the Google Play Services Extension now. All Google specific extensions will be made available in a single package in the future.
Oh I see. Thank you for clarifying.

Edit:

Just wanna update my latest situation. All my app updates on GPS are all now approved. And that's because I revoked my participation from the family program. I'm going to consider 3 times or maybe a dozen times, before I opt to join such a program in the future. Requirements too stringent, not worth the effort, unless no other option given.

Last edited:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Awesome - thanks for the update. Glad to hear you can submit okay now and that you got the correct extension in the end.

The issues that you guys found with that Licensing extension when trying to submit to that programme are in our backlog to be investigated.

spinout

I appear to be getting this error with the new google play services extension, when trying to sign in.
Called achievement_login with a NULL GoogleSigninClient

maxim

Looks like GP servises dont work. It worked in 3.1.6 extension version with same code. No reaction at achievement_login(), and IAP event after GPBilling_ConnectToStore() shows gpb_store_connect as "id" even without internet connection.

Last edited:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We determined last week that the above two issues are due to the removal of the checkbox from Game Options but in some cases the value was still attempting to be checked. We have now fixed this for the upcoming beta release.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.

SIG.

@Dan I really hope that we're not forced from any beta version into another beta version (or stable release, when that comes). Versions of the Google Play Services extension have only worked with certain versions of the beta. Each version has its own bugs and requirements. Developing with GMS2 is walking on a tightrope, and going either forward or back too fast can end badly.

spinout

Beta 3 is now rolling out, so you should see the update notification soon. See https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gms2-version-2-2-4-beta-release.67327/ for the changes.

I have also updated the Apple IAPs and Google Play Services extensions in my downloads folder - Apple IAPs for a minor issue with the code help for the "verify" function, and Google Play Services for a number of small changes plus an updated iOS SDK for Google Mobile Ads.
Great, thanks Dan.

I'll give these a go!

maxim

GP services work fine but IAP event after GPBilling_ConnectToStore() still shows gpb_store_connect as "id" even without internet connection. Also GPBilling_IsStoreConnected() always returns 1

Last edited:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
2.2.4 is now out (you should see the update notifications sometime today) and the Marketplace asset pages have been updated.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
2.2.4 is now out (you should see the update notifications sometime today) and the Marketplace asset pages have been updated.

I will look into the IAP questions above.

Status
Not open for further replies.