• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

How can I make a map that would cover the level?

jakaloy

I'm wondering if I can make a map, that would cover the level similar to Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine. I'm using the Jobo lightning system. I've assigned a light source to player x and y positions which serves as a sightline of the player. Can I make a map that would cover the level and when the player lights up the level, the map would disappear? Is there a better way of doing this other than using this lightning system?

Phil Strahl

Not related to state machines, but this talks gives some nice examples for different kinds of jumps, as well as jumps that can be cancelled at any point:

Maybe there's something in for you?

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The simplest idea would be to create a lot of "darkness" objects all over the level (e.g. 3x3 tiles big so you don't need too many) that gets destroyed when the player hits them (their hitbox could be bigger than the darkness they draw) but it needs a lot of objects to look nice... you could improve it a bit by having them draw gradient rectangles, though, with colors based on whether there's another darkness object on each side of it or not. Switch to Subtract blend mode, then draw gradients where each corner is white for full darkness, or black for no darkness (white means "erase all color" in sub mode, black means "erase no color").