Legacy GM Drag and drop question

doomtucan

Yes i am wanting to make a city builder resource management rts style game using drag and drop and wondering if this would be possible for both 1.4 and 2 of GMS?

C

Carcophan

I am probably not the best suited to be answering questions like these - but I don't see why not.

As long as you have proper code and art assets, GMS can do a LOT of neat stuff. RTS and management tutorials exist.

curato

Sure you could. Do you have a specific concern? I would say the biggest issue non-programmers have making a game in gamemaker studio is the non visual features. If you are building things in an rts you will need to store a lot of information on what you are building and what it is doing etc. make sure you understand variables and their scope and the data structures and how to handle them before starting a big project. That will hold true drag and drop or code or any other engine.

doomtucan

the only problem i believe i am gonna run into is procedural terrain generation so i do not have to paint the room by hand!

curato

GMS2 is really good with tilesets. if you are sticking 2d it is a really effective way to build out levels.

doomtucan

only reason for doing DnD is cause im having a very hard time understanding GML..i can get my character to move but more complex coding i just get confused!

Slyddar

One of the problems new users have is aiming too high with their ideas. Learn to walk before you can run. Complete tutorials that are not specifically what you want, but will help you learn how GML/DnD works. After you've spent a lot of time doing this, the steps to create your own dream game will be a lot clearer, and you will start to visulise how you can use the tools to build what you need.

I've used GMS for years, and even for me, the concept of building a game like you've described, would require extensive knowledge and work. Start small, and work your way up.

C

Carcophan

One of the problems new users have is aiming too high with their ideas. Learn to walk before you can run. Complete tutorials that are not specifically what you want, but will help you learn how GML/DnD works. .
100% TRUE STORY.

I got a license and started with GMS and learning GML 6 weeks and 4 days ago. I definitely aimed too high on day 1, but am learning more and more and more each day I experiment and try new things. Just today, I would say my core engine was completed finally. Pizza tonight to celebrate!!

But I know that now starts the HARD work. I have what I would call a proof of concept now, but I have to actually make a GAME around it.

Long road ahead.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Unless you have a background in software development, if you're worried whether you can make something in GM because GML is "confusing" to you, there's a good chance you're just aiming too high and it has nothing to do with GM's capabilities at all. It's like trying to form a sentence in a foreign language when you've neither learned the words nor the grammar yet.

D&D is going to harshly limit you in the long run. If you want to make this game, get more comfortable with GML first, then consider whether you can do it. If the answer is no, you have to practice more. It takes time and dedication to learn and understand how to develop just about any kind of software, and that applies to any language or game engine.