• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Blurry Graphics

J

jr carey

so, whenever I move the player, the camera follows, that a pretty basic layout, but while the camera moves, it blur's/darkens parts of the level, including the player, Ive tried differently resolutions, zooming in and out, disabling interpolation, even tried to screenshot it, it only happens while the character is moving, and since screenshots basically pause everything, I cant show you, any ideas what could be going on and how to fix it?

If you have blur that you cannot capture on screenshot, it is probably your display. You could try looking to see if there is a setting in your display that will help this problem. If all else fails, you can try to tweak the contrast or brightness of your graphics.

TheouAegis

And if you can catch it in a screenshot, remember an important facet of using views. The view is essentially the screen. It doesn't matter if the coordinates of an instance or tile or whatever are fractional in the room, but matters is if they are fractional in the screen. So if your view camera is moving at fractional speeds, that means everything in the room is going to be at fractional coordinates to the screen. When that happens, pixels will bleed into each other.

J

jr carey

I see, I will try flooring my camera, but why would only some graphics blur and others stay? and I tried to change my refresh rate, but nothing happened

TheouAegis

Again, it depends on what is actually happening. If you force your camera to move one pixel per step right and you have an instance in the room which moves one pixel every other step (not 0.5 pixels) to the left, if that instance is blurring then it means you have motion blur, either because you have bad eyes or because your monitor creates ghosting. If it's ghosting, there's not much you can do about it other than modifying the contrast between pixels. However if you do not see any blurring, then it means that all of the things that are blurring are actually moving at fractional coordinates relative to the view.

another way to test this is to use a static camera, one that will not follow the player or any other instance. Have an instance move back and forth quickly across the screen at integer speeds. If that instance blurs then it's motion blur. If that instance stays completely focused, then you're blurring because of fractional movement.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Could it be you're noticing "ghosting" which is an issue of your monitor and not GameMaker? The refresh rate of the pixels of the screen are slow enough that you see a trail behind something that moves, especially when there is a high contrast between what is moving and the background. Basically, if you take a screenshot and everything looks crisp, then this is probably (definitely?) the issue, but if the screenshot shows blurred images then it's something else.

J

jr carey

hmm, then do you think switching monitors might fix the issue?

J

jr carey

so I was able to screen record it:

if you look at the waterfall, when im moving you can kind of notice that the edges turn black when I move (its no the best screen recorder) and also the slopped hill grass becomes a darker shade

TheouAegis

it looks fine on my phone. So I'm with nocturne, probably your monitor. Should you replace your monitor? No, most modern monitors have this issue.

J

jr carey

so how would I go about fixing the issue? I tried adjusting the settings for my display, but nothing seems to work

L

Lonewolff

Being a hardware problem, the only thing I can think of off hand, is to add some sort of subtle motion blur. But that isn't all that trivial to do.