• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Things missing from GMS1

JeffJ

@Dan suggested that I make a thread to keep this list of things missing from GMS1 > GMS2 in one place. I've also filed a helpdesk ticket with the list, but I thought a thread might be a good idea as well, so that the community can add if there's anything I've missed. Most of these are QOL features that I and others are missing dearly in everyday use, from small things to bigger things.

Let me know if anything needs to be added. Please note, the idea is not to suggest new features, these are all features that we had in GMS1, but that were not carried over into GMS2, which we would like to have back.

1: Ignore comments when searching through project

2: "Check references" on resources

3: Import multiple resources in one go

4: Delete instances from room editor without using keyboard (used to be able to do this with simply a right click)

5: Can no longer scroll from cursor position in code editor by doing ctrl+arrow up/down. Have to scroll with mouse or move cursor all the way to top/bottom with arrows

6: Can no longer drag a single code editor window to another monitor without it having the entire "app" wrapper - title bar and everything, taking up way more screen space then necessary

7: Can no longer import a single image into an existing sprite without replacing every image

8: Lots of sprite editor features missing like "Shrink" and "Grow" and "Morph"

9: Sprite editor no longer shows memory usage anywhere

10: Pressing Ctrl+F in a code window makes the workspace "pan" around, messing up the workspace position I've manually set

11: Searching through documentation (Ctrl+F): results won't be highlighted because they're hidden away in folds (not the case in GMS1)

Last edited:

DBenji

3: Import multiple resources in one go

6: Can no longer drag a single code editor window to another monitor without it having the entire "app" wrapper - title bar and everything, taking up way more screen space then necessary
+1. Arguably the some of the most annoying features not included.

I especially miss numbers 1, 2 and 8!

I might need to double check this on my copy of gms1.4, but I feel these were possible before:

Press escape to close a focused search box window.

Press enter to continue to next matching item in search results.

JeffJ

Just thought I'd update with the reply I got on the ticket.

Sorry for the delay in responding - we did actually go through all your points in the daily ticket triage the day your ticket arrived, but it has taken me a while to respond with the outcomes.

I'm afraid we can't do request 6 with the UI system used in GMS2. Appreciate that this does take up more real estate and/ore requires a slightly different way of working, but this isn't one we can change.

We believe number 7 is simply a case of dropping the sprite in the wrong place. If you drop it onto the frames panel, then this will append the image as a new frame. If you drop it onto the main preview area, then this will replace the entire sprite, yes. This is by design and documented accordingly, so this won't change.

Beyond that, all of the others we will add. They are now in our feature request system and have been reviewed/approved.

Number 2 is already done for the 2.3.0 release (not 2.2.4).
3 and 8 are significant tasks, so might not be addressed until 2.3.1 at least.
I will try and get as many of the others added into 2.3.0 as I can.

Hope this answers your questions and it gives us a plan to resolve these missing issues and avoid the situation dragging on too much further. Thanks again for compiling this list.
So there it is. Honestly I did not expect #6 to change, as I expect that it's a very core thing, so no surprise there.
#7 I never would have guessed - apparently you can add more images to an existing sprite without replacing all current images, but there is literally no button or other interface for it, so the only way is to drag images onto the specific area from an external source. Not very intuitive and/or consistent with the rest of the design paradigm, but at least the functionality exists, so that's good.

It's also good that all the rest will change, but still no time frame or anything, so nothing new - still the same general status as has been for the past 2+ years. I'm honestly a bit baffled that #3 (import multiple resources in one go) is a "significant" task - that seems like an incredibly basic and rudimentary thing that really should not be an issue. I definitely understand how #8 is a significant task, though.

Anyway... Here it is - for better or worse. On one hand, I'm happy that most of them will come, but on the other, it could still be anywhere between now and another 2 years, so... Yeah. We'll get it when we get it, I guess.

Cameron

#7 I never would have guessed - apparently you can add more images to an existing sprite without replacing all current images, but there is literally no button or other interface for it, so the only way is to drag images onto the specific area from an external source. Not very intuitive and/or consistent with the rest of the design paradigm, but at least the functionality exists, so that's good.
I'm pretty sure 7 has a button option also. I'm at my laptop right now so going off memory, but if you click on the image frames (not just the sprite) and the image tab is available at the top of the screen then the option for importing image(s) or something like that is the one you would use for adding an image to the indices.

JeffJ

Well at least you have a definite version date for them now @JeffJ , which is better than "never". :)
No, I don't.

until 2.3.1 at least
That just means "no earlier than this".

I agree that it's better than a "no", but there's still not really any timeframe on.

CameronScottCreations said:
I'm pretty sure 7 has a button option also. I'm at my laptop right now so going off memory, but if you click on the image frames (not just the sprite) and the image tab is available at the top of the screen then the option for importing image(s) or something like that is the one you would use for adding an image to the indices.
Huh... Weird that they didn't mention that, then.

rIKmAN

No, I don't.

That just means "no earlier than this".

I agree that it's better than a "no", but there's still not really any timeframe on.
Only 2 of them at are "at least 2.3.1", the rest you have solid version numbers for (2.3.0) which is something.

I probably shouldn't have used the word "date", so to rephrase: "At least you have definite version numbers for them now which is better than "never"".
I agree still no hard date, but it'll get closer with every new update

JeffJ

Only 2 of them at are "at least 2.3.1", the rest you have solid version numbers for (2.3.0) which is something.

I probably shouldn't have used the word "date", so to rephrase: "At least you have definite version numbers for them now which is better than "never"".
I agree still no hard date, but it'll get closer with every new update
Having been around since the very beginning of YoYoGames (well, before too, but not relevant) I've learned that there's what they say, then there's what they do. We shall see - only time will actually tell.

curato

Yeah I just figured out you could just add a frame by going into the images menu and goto import images.

rIKmAN

Having been around since the very beginning of YoYoGames (well, before too, but not relevant) I've learned that there's what they say, then there's what they do. We shall see - only time will actually tell.
Think positive, PMA! :)

kupo15

No ABC sorting of resources

Pressing enter while using Cnt+F doesn't do a search, need to hit the button
Also GMS doesn't default to your last searched string so you have to retype it

It would be nice if the delete "resource" button was not next to duplicate (pretty sure its still easily accidentally clickable) and isolated more. I do have a pop up check but still

Are texture groups sorted ABC yet? I'm not home to check right now, its annoying how you can't reorder the texture groups to better organize. It seems to ABC them when they are being processed on compile, not sure why they aren't in the IDE

I swear I had a bunch more but I can't remember right now