Steam Steam Developer Account Question

KPJ

Hey everyone! I have a question about publishing your game on Steam. At the moment, I am too young to have my own Steam account, so I use the Steam account of someone older. My question is, can I publish a game on Steam on the older persons account for now, and somehow move the game over to my account (when I get one), so that it's on my account and I am the "developer" of the game?

Thanks!

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
If you're not yet old enough to be able to play games legally, I have my doubts you'll be able to create a commercially viable product. If I were you, I'd start out smaller, on a site like GameJolt... less paperwork, less fees involved, and people overall have a lower bar for what is OK quality and a more laid-back attitude to feedback.

KPJ

Thanks @Yal! Yes, I am not old enough to create my own Steam account, but just to be sure - when you say "I have my doubts you'll be able to create a commercially viable product." do you mean that you doubt that I will be able to LEGALLY publish a game? Or do you mean that you doubt that I have the capability to make a commercial game that fits the standards of typical Steam games, or that is "worthy" of Steam?
Thanks again!

Last edited:

Khao

Thanks @Yal! Yes, I am not old enough to create my own Steam account, but just to be sure - when you say "I have my doubts you'll be able to create a commercially viable product." do you mean that you doubt that I will be able to LEGALLY publish a game? Or do you mean that you doubt that I have the capability to make a commercial game that fits the standards of typical Steam games, or that is "worthy" of Steam?
Thanks again!
The thing is, a commercially viable product is not a game that fits the standards of typical Steam games, but one that stands out and rises above that standard. You probably can make a game "worthy" of Steam (not hard in this day and age tbh). But will it sell?

Reactions: KPJ

KPJ

@Khao True, I get what your saying
@Yal To respond to your earlier statement, I have started publishing games on smaller sites (e.g itch.io, like in my signature)

So, I have a two more questions:
1) Will I be able to create a new Steam account (just for developing, not playing) under an older persons email address, and publish games on that account while I'm under-age?
2) And when I come of age to legally have my own Steam account is there a setting to change the accounts email address from the older persons email address to my own email address?

Thanks Again!

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
@Khao True, I get what your saying
@Yal To respond to your earlier statement, I have started publishing games on smaller sites (e.g itch.io, like in my signature)

So, I have a two more questions:
1) Will I be able to create a new Steam account (just for developing, not playing) under an older persons email address, and publish games on that account while I'm under-age?
2) And when I come of age to legally have my own Steam account is there a setting to change the accounts email address from the older persons email address to my own email address?

Thanks Again!
  1. Yes
  2. No