Dark world of the untitled game

A

AcidicHydra

Hello! Just wanted to show some of the earliest screenshots of the game I am working on. So far it has been pretty exciting to try and jump into. It takes place in a strange realm of eternal night. filled with all manner of strange creatures. Exploring a strange vibrant world filled with nightmarish monsters. My plan is to make it into a metroidvania like game built on exploration. I want to make the player explore strange places from bright and colorful to dark and forboding.
Here are a few of my screenshots!
screen02.jpg
The player with a green ooze. A pretty basic enemy encountered throughout the world the usually mindlessly roll around paying no mind to those around them.
screen05.jpg
One the enemies and Manni-Kin winding up an attack to hit the player. They are the most basic encounters in the game. Also at the top is the health bar (The Bells) and another bar that I call the Lightspark bar. This will be used to various things as I progress.
screen04.jpg
Outside the factory with a giant welcome sign. This area I hope I can expand on in cool ways as I work further through the game.
screenshot7.jpg
Another Picture in the Graveyard. I Feel pretty good thus far but I am striving to make sure it looks even cooler!

screen03.jpg
A Cool view of the night sky. So far this is one of my favorite areas as it has this strange almost mystical feel about it.

Hope you guys enjoyed the earliest look at the game I am making so far. I am still very new to this all but I appreciate any advice going further. This has been incredibly exciting for me!

A

AcidicHydra

Thanks! It took a lot of effort drawing everything. I am very excited to continue improving it can be hard drawing each frame of animation but it gives it a lot more life in my opinion

R

Red Phantom

This looks amazing.

The background is superb, it really has a special, magical and mystic feel to it.
I also really like the main character, he goes well with the background.

My favorite scenery is in the second image.
The enemy in it is really cool.
I also really like the platform how it merges concrete and dirt. This merging adds to the strange magical mystic feel/theme.
Further adding to that splendid them is the bent gates either side of the indoor area in this same scene (image #2)
The coffin in the middle makes things a lot more haunting and adds well to the eternal-night atmosphere.

Despite all the individual images being great, the visual consistency (how all the imagery looks together) seems slighty off.
For example some things have vastly higher visual quality than others, e.g. the grass in image 4 is very realistic while the character is extraordinarily more cartoon-ish.
It's like a piece of art that looks a bit strange as a whole because it's as if different artists with different ideas worked on the same things.

Forgive me for my harsh criticism I'm only trying to help. In actual fact I seriously like your work, especially looking at everything individually.

This is definitely a game I would want to play and I look forward to the possibility of a demo.

A

Andrew R. C. Beck

This looks amazing.

The background is superb, it really has a special, magical and mystic feel to it.
I also really like the main character, he goes well with the background.

My favorite scenery is in the second image.
The enemy in it is really cool.
I also really like the platform how it merges concrete and dirt. This merging adds to the strange magical mystic feel/theme.
Further adding to that splendid them is the bent gates either side of the indoor area in this same scene (image #2)
The coffin in the middle makes things a lot more haunting and adds well to the eternal-night atmosphere.

Despite all the individual images being great, the visual consistency (how all the imagery looks together) seems slighty off.
For example some things have vastly higher visual quality than others, e.g. the grass in image 4 is very realistic while the character is extraordinarily more cartoon-ish.
It's like a piece of art that looks a bit strange as a whole because it's as if different artists with different ideas worked on the same things.

Forgive me for my harsh criticism I'm only trying to help. In actual fact I seriously like your work, especially looking at everything individually.

This is definitely a game I would want to play and I look forward to the possibility of a demo.
I would say I concur with @Siavellez's observation here in terms of the varying detail levels being a tad disorienting as it were :) One thing that stands out a lot to me in terms of difference is the door in the third image, which feels seperated from the wall behind it if you get me?

Sorry I know that is brief feedback hehe but I hope that helps!

A

AcidicHydra

No you no you guys are fine, I want opinions so I better make the game better. I can definitely see what you mean by the grass being more realistic than the character in the background. It is mainly my style evolving as I work on it figuring out which way I most prefer to draw things. The door and the main character being some of my earliest stuff (and most of the factory setting). I was thinking I might have to change it if it becomes too much. It might also be a way to show it’s intractable but there is probably less jarring ways of doing that.

pixeltroid

I just opened this thread again....and have some things to say about it.

1. The perspective in this scene looks a bit off. The further an object is, the smaller it would looks. Here, the cross in the background is larger than the crosses in front. Same thing with the grass in the background....it's as large as the grass in the foreground.

2. Why do some tombstones have an outline, while others do not?

3. All the ground tiles have the same tuft of grass on top and looks repetitive. Ideally, for your style, you should have 3-4 different tiles for the ground.