• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows How far can the Mac build machine be to export to?

C

Cameron Parks

I don't have a Mac and don't plan on getting one, but my friend does and he said I can use his computer for porting to OSX, but I'm in U.S and he is in Canada. Is it possible to export to over this large of a distance? I prefer him to not see the source code, that's why I don't just send that and then let him export through his Mac IDE.

You can export to anywhere in the Universe provided they have a working Mac and valid gamemaker license.

There are online Virtual Macs you can rent if you don't want to send it to your friend.

W

WWAZman

signing it without a iMac computer of your own is going to be a massive pain in the butt if you plan on releasing it on the Apple store. I'd reconsider letting your friend see the source code, make him sign a release if necessary, and go from there. You have to sign it with *your* Apple Developer ID on the computer, and then use that same Apple ID to upload it.

C

Cameron Parks

You can export to anywhere in the Universe provided they have a working Mac and valid gamemaker license.

There are online Virtual Macs you can rent if you don't want to send it to your friend.
I was just testing out now and on the guides it says over a local network even hough you said it can be anywhere
I tried with my friend's public ip and it just says that the network connection failed on that ip (everything else is fine)

I was just testing out now and on the guides it says over a local network even hough you said it can be anywhere
I tried with my friend's public ip and it just says that the network connection failed on that ip (everything else is fine)
Ah apologies for the confusion, my first tongue-in-cheek reply had assumed you would send the project file to your friend. As long as both you and he had the right Game Maker licenses, he could just export it and play on his own machine.

It would be difficult, if not impossible to do the export over the internet. (You'd have to do risky things like opening up ports on your firewall/router and/or establish a virtual network with your friend).

The Mac-in-Cloud option would be your best bet.

G

GM029

I just completed all the requirements to distribute my game on the Mac and it was def not easy peasy, it's far more involved than getting the Windows version going.

You need an Apple developers account, you have to set up developer and distributor licenses and the app need to be signed and notarized to run on macs other than your own. You also need to research how to set up GameMaker and XCode to make everything work correctly. I can't imagine doing all of this on a computer that wasn't right in front of me, I think it would be near impossible remotely- you'd have to rely a lot on your friend having any desire to help you figure it all out. I'm lucky that my gf has a Macbook Pro, that's what I used to get my Mac version compiled. Oh and you have to pay Apple $99/year to distribute your game.

Point being this isn't Windows where you just have to load up your project and hit compile. How much does your friend want to tinker around with the inner workings of being an Apple developer? I have to be honest I hit roadblocks in the process that took many hours to figure out.