• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Texture Page preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMAllen

Would it be possible to make this tool more...useful? For complex texture page building (those that take a while for GM to sort, optimize, and finalize) there's no progress bar or notification or anything to let the user know what it's doing, or if it's actually doing anything at all. There's also the issue that it ALWAYS rebuilds them, no matter what the status of the texture pages happens to be. So even if you've done test builds, have texture pages already built and ready to be used, the texture page preview option wipes them and starts the process all over again. Not helpful. Not even a little bit.

When texture pages can take 10-30m to build, this 'tool' is terrible at best.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I'll bump this, rather than create a new topic.

Is the Texture Page preview option working for anyone? (I'm referring to the "preview" button in Game Options > Windows > Graphics. ) I've never gotten this to work. Even after several minutes with a new Studio 2 project contain one sprite... nothing happens. And I have to close Studio with the Task Manager, because the "cancel" button doesn't work either.

Am I not waiting long enough? Or is this broken?

M

MarceloP

Mine works fine. I'm on Windows 7. My company colleagues can also open it without problems, and they're all on Windows 10.

You may have a log of what is happening on the console. Maybe, just maybe, GM opens the Default image exhibition application and, this may be a problem if it can't open whatever it is that application and pass the image to it (usually image's path).
Another think that may come to mind is administrative privileges to evoke an application.

Those are the only 2 possibilities that I can think of now. Try checking them out :)

Last edited by a moderator:

JackTurbo

Works for me in GMS2. It opens a png in my default image program. Have you got a program set as a default for opening pngs?

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Yes, I normally have Irfanview set as the default program for png, jpeg, gif, etc.. I just tried setting a different app as default, but still nothing happens.

Where is the preview png file saved? I assume in a temp directory somewhere, right?... I'm going to look around.

EDIT: what's the filename?

M

MarceloP

Hello again @chance,

I've looked up for you. Mine is at: \AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\{PROJECT_NAME}_{HASH}
There you'll find a bunch of texture_{X}.png files.

Another thing I just figured out. My texture page was set to maximum (8192x8192) and it took about 35sec for it to be generated and open in my windows media preview. I think you should give it some time, that may also be the case if you have multiple textures that are as big as mine.

Also, my console shows the line corresponding to generating the texture/preview:

"C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.1.4.218/bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe" /c /zpex /zpuf="{BLARG}\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\games_532892" /m=windows /tgt=64 /tp=8192 /wt /o="{BLARG}\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\{PROJECT_NAME}_{HASH}" /baseproject="C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.1.4.218/BaseProject/BaseProject.yyp" "{PROJECT YYP PROJECT DIRECTORY}"

It really depends on the generation of such pages...

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
@MarceloP: thanks for your help with this. I checked that directory location, but it was empty. Not even a GMS2TEMP sub-directory. Maybe Studio deletes that when it closes? Unfortunately, I can't check the location after I press the "preview" button, because Studio locks up my machine.

Sounds like my copy of Studio2 might have been corrupted somehow. Perhaps it's time to delete and re-install.

M

MarceloP

Hey @chance,

No problem! Yeah, you can try a fresh install. I'd also recommend to delete that "\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\" folder and the "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/" if it doens't happen on uninstall by itself.
Let us know if a fresh install changed something. I may be wrong, but this "GMS2TEMP" folder may also be used for temporary html5 tests. If so, something very strange was happening to your GM2S

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lemonhead

For some reason when I try to preview the texture group it just creates a file called new.win inside my GMS2TEMP folder. I don't even know what a .win file is or how to view it. Does anyone know anything that could be causing this?

For some reason when I try to preview the texture group it just creates a file called new.win inside my GMS2TEMP folder. I don't even know what a .win file is or how to view it. Does anyone know anything that could be causing this?
I have no idea, but I'm having the same problem, though in my case it's called [Project_Name].win. (or something similar. you get the idea.

rIKmAN

I have no idea, but I'm having the same problem, though in my case it's called [Project_Name].win. (or something similar. you get the idea.
This thread is nearly 4yrs old and lemonhead who you quoted is no longer a member of ther forum - that's why the username is plain white text and unclickable.

If you have a problem with the current version of GM and the Texture Preview, post your own thread with up to date information as any issues people may have been having 4yrs ago are likely to have been changed/been fixed in one of the many, many updates since then.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
This thread is nearly 4yrs old and lemonhead who you quoted is no longer a member of ther forum - that's why the username is plain white text and unclickable.

If you have a problem with the current version of GM and the Texture Preview, post your own thread with up to date information as any issues people may have been having 4yrs ago are likely to have been changed/been fixed in one of the many, many updates since then.
👆

Thread is now locked to encourage people to post their own

Status
Not open for further replies.