GMC Jam Discussion The Thunderous 34th GMC Jam - Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relic

Thanks for the review! :) By the timed thing did you mean that it goes faster? Definitely will take into consideration if I decide to expand the idea! :) Thanks again!
The anti grav boots are on a timer? Then it goes back to kidney beans or something? Geez I hope so.

KPJ

Thank you @Relic and @Mercerenies for the reviews as well!

I decided to go ahead and update my entry Objective: Stealth, based on some feedback given to me. I'm also considering going ahead and expanding on this project.

So, to the updated version, the changes I made were:
1) Easing up the game: Many people also said that the game was too hard at the start, and I agree with it. I eased up the first few floors to let the players smoothly transition into the game.

2) Minimizing the controls: I had some people say that using the up and down keys for the elevators could've been replaced, so I replaced it with the interact button, F. Previously, the I used the up and down keys so that the player could go to the upper floor or the lower floor. But this piece of feedback (credits to @Relic, by the way) made me realize that there would be no reason for the player to be going up in the elevator when their objective is below them. Now that it is one button, whether you go up or down depends on whether you have the objective (if you do, then you go up, toward your escape, but if you don't, you go down toward the objective)

3) Tweaking the door interact distance: Some people, for example @ParodyKnaveBob in his playthrough of my game, had a struggle closing doors, because it wasn't stated in the game that you needed to jump to close the doors. So, I tweaked it so that you can now close the door from the ground. This was a quick fix, but it has a big impact on the game, and players becoming confused.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to review and rate my game so far, and give me such great feedback. Don't hesitate to give me any more feedback, and let me know if one of my changes needs to be improved (e.g. the game is still way too hard)

The download link to the updated version: https://krishnajawale.itch.io/objective-stealth-updated

Last edited:
P

ParodyKnaveBob

No Way Back by Gizmo199

Room to improve:
I would have preferred if the antigrav wasn't timed. It would still be the same puzzle and it didn't need to be a race.
But... they weren't timed? How'd you get the impression they're timed?

Tic-Tac-Toe by ParodyKnaveBob

Room to improve:
Could have stuck with purely mouse controls - add buttons to menu screen since game is entirely mouse based anyway. Have an automatic return to menu after game end system. I forgot that T was title screen - esc, enter, spacebar all did nothing and so I closed the window. Also, not sure what you meant by the source code - I saw no links to this in game or in the readme/afterword.
Thanks on the good of course. ~nodnod~

Room to improve: Don't I know it. $:^ ]
About the last thing I squeezed in was some kind of menu so that the player could access the different options I'd programmed. The reason for the ridiculous keyboard reset controls was that they were my debug controls, and with so little time left, and not enough space for buttons without expanding the screen and unbalancing everything I'd visualized, yeah, I just slapped some text onto the title/menu screen so that you'd know how to get some basic operation out of it. Lol. Agreed, I hate when devs mix and match mouse/keyboard especially at unnecessary points in the UI/gameplay.

Relic

But... they weren't timed? How'd you get the impression they're timed?
]
I only 'recall' it happening once. Perhaps I ran over another pickup without realising. That, combined with the phrase "grav-boots go faster" led me to that belief. I didn't understand that phrase at the time. I played through those parts of the levels quickly because of it lol.

Gizmo199

I only 'recall' it happening once. Perhaps I ran over another pickup without realising. That, combined with the phrase "grav-boots go faster" led me to that belief. I didn't understand that phrase at the time. I played through those parts of the levels quickly because of it lol.
Lol. Okay cool. I was super confused! Haha.

Yeah it will only change if you touch the certain items that change it.

Gizmo199

@HayManMarc thanks for the playthrough and review! You almost had it!! You gotta use the red key to unlock the lock and make yourself blue to get past the arrow. :p glad you enjoyed it and thanks again!

First one uploaded. @David Pisano Not a great review, but there it is.
More to come.
Hey man thanks for the review. Sadly you didn't get to the small section of actual "gameplay" to defeat the virus and get the ending and I completely understand. Meant for the game to be a bit spooky sorry if it bothered you.

Also I kept finding the computer sounds would change volume per computer and I wasnt sure why. And had to get it out.

It's definitely more a story than a game made I understand your ratings.

Keep up with the reviews I can't wait to see more!

Have a wonderful day and again thanks for the feedback.

N

Nacky Slocker

I just finished with my reviews... Oh boy, I don't think I'm going to do reviews again, that took a long time for me.
5 games were unplayable, I'm very sorry to the creators of those games.
Technically, this is my first JAM that I actually entered legitimately, the last JAM I missed the deadline and got "ith" place.

Gizmo199

I just finished with my reviews... Oh boy, I don't think I'm going to do reviews again, that took a long time for me.
5 games were unplayable, I'm very sorry to the creators of those games.
Technically, this is my first JAM that I actually entered legitimately, the last JAM I missed the deadline and got "ith" place.
Thanks for the review! Yeah I didn't realize that till a buddy of mine (after the jam) pointed it out. One of those "oh I've played this level 1000 times and this is how you do it" and didn't have the time to completely flaw test all of the levels. Haha. I am currently re working the engine rn and am going to try to come up with a solid demo project soon. Different graphics obviously. Haha. Thanks again! I will definitely add a reset button / make sure the character can change back to the right color/ability

@Nacky Slocker Yeah, the win then lose thing is a bug that I missed before submitting. You won but the other game timers reset during the win screen because I forgot to stop ALL the triggers for it.
I feel like the objective was pretty clear, the game literally says to manage the capacity of the venue. The tips are just vague hints on how to best manage it, meant to help but I do realise that the game speed is a bit fast to keep track of all of it. But in the end, if you just aim to keep people in the venue without going over the capacity(10), it's pretty simple.
Your suggestions were good, basically what I originally had in mind, but I wouldn't have had time to implement any of them unfortunately.

Micah_DS

Just 5 more games left to finish writing feedback for, but I'm going to wait to finish them until Sunday, because I really need to prioritize game dev this weekend, especially since I've unexpectedly lost most of my free time on Saturday.
I got next to zero feedback written during the work week because work drained me enough that I couldn't really get my brain to think and write useful feedback. Oh well. I see no problem finishing up on Sunday.
If I have time before the deadline, I plan to add in some short bug report clips, and perhaps some highlight clips as well. :)

N

Nacky Slocker

@Nacky Slocker Yeah, the win then lose thing is a bug that I missed before submitting. You won but the other game timers reset during the win screen because I forgot to stop ALL the triggers for it.
I feel like the objective was pretty clear, the game literally says to manage the capacity of the venue. The tips are just vague hints on how to best manage it, meant to help but I do realise that the game speed is a bit fast to keep track of all of it. But in the end, if you just aim to keep people in the venue without going over the capacity(10), it's pretty simple.
Your suggestions were good, basically what I originally had in mind, but I wouldn't have had time to implement any of them unfortunately.
Nah dude, we all had different plans than what are games actually ended up being, the point is just the fact that we all got something out in 3 days! On top of life, I think everyone did a pretty good job!
Also, your entry was one of my earliest, before I got a better grasp on writing the reviews. Heck, look at my game, "Popcorn Spider". The instructions disappear after about 4 seconds. That, is terrible, but I don't think either game is ruined because of the flaws.
Also, I'm pretty sure your game is relateable. You see, a lot of people get told they did a great job, and then immediately get fired. You just made a slice of life, good job.

EDIT: Oh, uh, what did you guys think of the ranking system I used? It helped me keep track of the games, and hopefully it showed that despite the fact that one game had a higher rating, it didn't necessarily mean it was heaps better than another.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

EDIT: Oh, uh, what did you guys think of the ranking system I used? It helped me keep track of the games, and hopefully it showed that despite the fact that one game had a higher rating, it didn't necessarily mean it was heaps better than another.
If it helped you, great. $:^ J To me, it seemed like each rank still consisted of games that voted in that order anyway, but maybe I didn't scour the details enough. ~shrug~ Either way, I'm sorry to hear you say the time it took makes you not want to do that again. I actually disagreed with a lot of your opinions on many other folks' games, but your opinion is just as valid as the rest of ours, and it's nice to get it heard, too. $:^ ]

20. Tic-Tac-Toe by ParodyKnaveBobRANK: D
Pros/Cons/Neutrals +/-/~
- You don't have an option to go 2nd
+ Functions like a perfect Tic-Tac-Toe game
~ It's Tic-Tac-Toe

Suggestions:
-Option to go 2nd
-Maybe a 4 in a row mode?

Thoughts:
It's Tic-Tac-Toe. What more could you ask for? What more can I say? I played it as a child.[/LEFT]
Yepyep. $:^ J
I mentioned in a reply to someone else, yep, option to go 2nd was something I wanted, especially since the AI actually worked (woo!), but, y'know, time. $:^ }
Naah, I wouldn't want 4-in-a-row mode, at least on this. I would've just preferred polishing it up more with sounds, a better menu, onscreen buttons for resetting, and of course the more aggressive versions of AI. (Not to mention a more conditionally thinking, efficient AI, but eh, time. Ha ha ha ha.)

Thank you much!

Good: It works! 1 on 1 or vs AI.
Bad: No sounds...
Note: Well it's tic-tac-toe. It does the job.

Yepyep, thank ya. $:^ ] I've said elsewhere, it's ironic that I love sound design so much, and yet somehow every single one of my jam entries has been silent... (At least for a week-long spring competition, I made the sound awesome. Hm.)

On the other hand, you ranked me as high as 19th place?! Are you out of your m-- Thanks, I mean. $8^ , (Lol.) Glad you enjoyed, though, seriously. ~nodnod~ $:^ ]

tic tac toe. definately works. the AI seems to make random instead of tactical choices.

~nod~ Thank ya. As for AI difficulty, though, (especially with your comments on Alice's game,) I'm guessing you played on "Child's Play"? Because that's exactly, exactly what that setting does. $F^ b (Play the third -- "Tries, But Misses Stuff" -- if you want to see it actually try, even if it misses stuff. $;^ ] heheheh)

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nacky Slocker

If it helped you, great. $:^ J To me, it seemed like each rank still consisted of games that voted in that order anyway, but maybe I didn't scour the details enough. ~shrug~ Either way, I'm sorry to hear you say the time it took makes you not want to do that again. I actually disagreed with a lot of your opinions on many other folks' games, but your opinion is just as valid as the rest of ours, and it's nice to get it heard, too. $:^ ]
yeah, I tried to spend the same amount of time with each game (roughly 5-10 minutes = 2-5 hours, not counting loading times, and notes) I did state that in the voting topic.
The ranking system, it was based on where the games ended up overall. So, if a game was good in THIS game JAM (Rank A), it could still get a lower rank in another JAM (Rank D).
And of course we're going to disagree on our opinions of the games, That's a GOOD thing. if we all agreed, then the reviews wouldn't vary. I like the variance.
I myself, looked for a good experience. I feel every reviewer looked for something different, which when all added up, creates a well rounded review.

Actually, I'm curious.
What was everyone's main reason for entering the JAM? I wanted to have fun, and I did. What about you guys?

Relic

I like that something can be completed in a short time, the challenge of doing so, the feedback from the reviewers and the competition element as well.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Actually, I'm curious.
What was everyone's main reason for entering the JAM? I wanted to have fun, and I did. What about you guys?
I've already said mine 50 times $:^ P but to honor your question with an answer (and perhaps help get the ball rolling), I hadn't programmed anything in any language in well over a year. $:^ ` Coincidentally, an e-mail telling me my GMC account was about to be eradicated got me here within a week of the next jam starting. It got my creative juice flowing a bit, but I had no intention to join; I just wanted to create a little small something to scrape my rust off. I started on Tic-Tac-Toe right about the time the jam actually started, and a couple days in, I saw that if my idea to add AI actually worked, then I wouldn't mind tying up a couple loose ends and submitting it to the jam after all. $:^ } Thus, here we are, heheheh.

Reactions: KPJ
N

Nacky Slocker

Wow, everyone does have different reasons. Neat.
Also, I got the same e-mail as ParodyKnaveBob.

So, I noticed in my reviews, the tilde (~ symbol), used to indicate "neutral", looked like the hyphen (- symbol) used to indicate "negative".
If anyone reading my reviews misinterpreted neutrals as negatives, then I apologize for the confusion. I did NOT think negatively about that aspect of your game.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Re: funerally stuff
Thanks, folks, for kindness and encouragement. Really, though, besides missing my friend/brother (e.g. not getting to visit with him the past weekends like usual), and of course regretting missed opportunities (because I'm an annoying perfectionist that way, although I'm a lot better than I used to be), I really don't grieve for him at all. He had a long, overall happy life (over 90! still driving himself, all wits about him, etc.! lol, man), and most importantly, he obeyed the gospel in his late 80s, remaining faithful and evangelistic (as far as anyone can judge actions of course) to Christ and his church (joke One True Church™ all you like, but if the shoe fits, I wear it), dying in peace, in good health, and probably in his sleep. Thus now, in a Hadean paradise "waiting room"(as I call it, heh,) he just awaits the judgement day like anyone else. Cheers to Ad. $:^ )

Re: videoally stuff
In the last day or so, I found some software that seems free and decent quality for video editing, thus right about now I'm starting to try to piece together my final review conclusion thingy, including actual order of vote-ranking. Hopefully this won't take two days! lol $:^ P

Re: @Nacky Slocker
You gave a +-~ legend at the top. 'Twas all clear to me. $:^ J Thanks for concern toward anyone else, though!

Micah_DS

Oof, 'was' done with votes and feedback, but I went over the character limit at just over 60k and the limit is 50k.
Having to reformat a bit, turning to Google Docs. I didn't realize I wrote THAT much. :eek:

EDIT: And DONE.
I even made a highlights video this time. I'm hoping it's at least mildly entertaining.

Last edited:
Ugh. Feel awful about this but I haven't had time to play and rank all the games for the first time.
I will still finish playing through and leaving my feedback if anyone is interested though. But after the voting period unfortunately.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

@Siolfor the Jackal: Good news is the voting system accounts for "partial rank lists" so that even if you only vote for top 3, an incomplete list is still more useful than no votes at all. $:^ ]

I don't know, I don't feel right doing a top 3 or even top 10 without playing everything.
Also, I was under the impression that not voting for an entry is worse than ranking it last.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Maybe we could extend the voting period by a day or two?
I know I'll have problems posting my votes until the current deadline, myself. Which is to say, I may manage to play the remaining ~10-ish games or so, but without much in-depth feedback whatsoever.

@GameDevDan what do you think?

P

ParodyKnaveBob

(Right, propose this after I lose a night of sleep and leave out a bunch of video/software work I did to meet the deadline. Lol.)

Ugh, 2 minutes to close, preview to make sure I didn't wreck the BBCode / YouTube IDs anywhere, everything looks good, submit, "Please post a message with no more than 5 pieces of media." ~sigh~ ~edit post of all my [mediia=youtube]idstuff[/media] code~

EDIT: Oh. Good. Grief. I hate it when software automagically takes control of custom formatting. I can only put 5 videos in. Fine, lemme remove all but 4. Nope! It wants to convert one (AND ONLY ONE) of my URLs into an embedded video. $¦^ o... Can I wrap a [urll] tag around? Nope! Can I misspell the URL inside? Suuure, only to have the next URL become a video. Just. UGH. It's like all these stupid word processors grabbing extra spaces and things when you highlight text to fiddle with. No, in fact, I highlighted what I wanted. And search engines bound and determined to search for things you "misspelled" when you blastedly wrote exactly what you wrote for a reason. ~exhale~ [/rant] $:^ | Apologies, kind of, but I expect many of you feel the pain, too.

All right, good enough. I got the final video in which addresses everyone one last time. Gave an official ranking to everyone. Forgot about Best ofs. Might get to rest for about 20 minutes before work. But I've accomplished what I said I'd do, which is important to me. Peace out!

Last edited by a moderator:

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder

Small version for Reaktori & Riuku's signatures

Full Rankings

1 :: master.hacker.pro :: Reaktori & Riuku
2 :: Mo's Fish Shack :: Relic
3 :: Just Another Night :: Shadow_Lancer & Cowsox
4 :: No Way Back :: Gizmo199
5 :: Garbage Heroes :: GameDevDan
6 :: Chemodynamics :: FrostyCat
7 :: Wormhole :: Alice
8 :: The Great Mech War of 2039 :: Mercerenies
9 :: The Portal :: Micah_DS
10 :: I'm Not Drunk :: Pranjal Bisht
11 :: Dicy Dungeon :: The M
12 :: Pinn :: HayManMarc
13 :: Citadel Stormer :: Pixeltroid
14 :: Ninja vs Demons :: Toque
15 :: Bouncer :: Siolfor The Jackal
16 :: No Smash The Walls :: Indiana Bones
17 :: Fort With Guns :: MikeeyBikeey
18 :: Spielcomm :: Bart
19 :: Slimelvator :: Michael McMullen
20 :: No Name As For Now :: MikeDark_x
21 :: Crimson Raider :: Lolslayer and Kazimir Mariusz
22 :: Objective: Stealth :: KPJ
23 :: Hatch Controller :: NazGhuL
24 :: #1 Dad :: Timothy Y
25 :: Popcorn Spider :: Nacky Slocker
26 :: Turret Trap :: Curato
27 :: Single Point of Entry.exe :: David Pisano
28 :: Tic-Tac-Toe :: ParodyKnaveBob
29 :: Thirst of Freedom :: Fried Llama Studio
30 :: 30第二エスケープ :: TheMiningBoyAlpha

Awards

Best use of theme: Pranjal Bisht
Best concept: Reaktori & Riuku, Gizmo199, The M
Best Presentation: GameDevDan
Best Story: GameDevDan
Best Devlog: Mercerenies

Results Spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y2WV-vdWP0HRvPGeFKGmuAH15yY2a_ldVOZkoTiHAYQ/edit?usp=sharing

R

Reaktori

Wow! Did we really win? I didn't expect this at all!
I'm very proud of our little game and I hope you all enjoyed playing it! I definitely had fun designing the mechanics and levels. Hopefully some day someone can reach the true ending (it's pretty cool!).
I liked many of the other entries but unfortunately didn't have time to do actual reviews or voting.

Thank you all for playing and voting! We'll try to come up with a clever theme for the next GMC Jam.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I'll be in for the next jam. I've got a mmo idea.
Are you sure about that? I've never seen a genuine MMO as a Jam entry by anyone, and probably for a good reason. These things tend to take a lot more than 4 days to finish.

Sure, you can create an MMO engine ahead of time or reuse one, but I'd be curious to see how you'd turn it into an on-theme entry in just 4 days. Given that you have no control of the theme this time, your idea could very well be useless for the Jam unless it's for a genuinely general-purpose architecture. If it does happen, though, it will definitely be making splashes beyond the borders of the Jam section. The MMO genre has a boogeyman status on the GMC as something that has to take many months or even years to make, and I hope that could be dispelled if there's working evidence of a better way to handle it.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
So, now that I no longer need to hurriedly play and rank entries, I can look back and answer to lots of quality feedback I got for my entry. Generally, I like how that turned out, especially for the programming/design effort spanning across less than 24 hours (listening through Waterflame's awesome tracks not included). It's definitely the concept I'd like to expand upon and release as a full game, and the overall feedback I got further encourages me to do so.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the 7th place I got is the best I got on my own both in terms of absolute ranking (i.e. the number) and relative ranking (i.e. % of entries my entry ranked higher than). The conclusion is clear - particle effects and fancy GFX is the way to go.

So, without further ado, replying to the feedback:
First of all, there have been quite a few things in common that reviewers mentioned in their feedback. In particular, how the game could use a checkpoint system or a clearer explanation (and that Walk in a Park bug which makes the mode ironically unbeatable). Also, many people appreciated the backgrounds and variety of obstacles, which suggests I might have gotten my Jam priorities right.

For the record, I made all the particle backgrounds and music synchronization stuff before I even got to making obstacle mechanics. I guess this order worked well in my case, since near the end I figured I might as well make the last stage a breather wormies party with no obstacles whatsoever and it still makes sense in context.

Based on these, here are a few points I would like to include in the full game (aside from fixing some typos and bugs):

1. Clearer instructions
The game instructions phrasing suggested that there are multiple wormholes, serving a setup for scoring a SINGLE POINT in the entire ENTRY. This, along with not explaining the obstacles properly, led multiple people to believe there are other wormholes and running into the crystal from the second section of the (only) wormhole. However, now that I can let go of this jokey theme inclusion, I can make proper and honest instructions.

Other things I want to clarify:
- the obstacle outlines are harmless; instead they serve as the warning for actual obstacles (some people apparently didn't notice that, but those who did appreciated the warning)
- only the head is vulnerable; the tail interacting with obstacles causes no harm, instead it serves as an additional obstacle for the player (also, we control the worm, so snake-like movement is quite appropriate here)

2. Checkpoints
These would have been too much trouble in the 24 hours timespan (including sleep) I worked on my entry, largely because specific stages are based on the music, so I'd need to make mechanics for that.
Also, the music is a large part of the experience, and listening to it on checkpoints basis rather than the whole thing in its entirety could spoil it, if there was no way to play it from the start again. In short, there are quite a few challenges involved here.

On that note (haha, musical note) I'd like to include tighter integration of music and gameplay, in particular by having each gameplay "step" (i.e. when worm advances a tile) synced to the rhythm of the soundtrack. Also, to allow checkpoints on the one hand and still provide the experience of playing through the entire soundtrack, I would like to include a replay system (that implies the worm will have its beginning-of-stage state stored, to consistently start from it on each restart.

3. More wormholes
I might want to gather a few more cool songs from various composers (of course, getting all the necessary licenses/permissions first) and build more levels based around these. I mean, there are so many things that can be done with this concept and such a variety of obstacles. Speaking of which...

4. Smarter and more varied obstacles/gameplay elements
Right now, the obstacles appear pretty much randomly, except for a fixed segment in aqua section. Where applicable, I might make them a little more malicious and have them appear at inconvenient places, such as "accidentally" placing them near the worm, having them explicitly appear so that they aim for the worm head or even have them appear at the tail so that the worm can't just circle around the same place. Furthermore, people said that having something to collect would be also nice, so I might make some mechanic based on that. I wouldn't rule out manipulating the worm tail length, either - the possibilities are broad here.
(also, checkpoint system should give me more leeway with the difficulty, with it being focused on single segments rather than spread across the whole song)

5. Graphics configuration, maybe
It's been pointed out that as pretty the background is, it can be straining for the eyes. I admit the general intensity and various effects (especially the foreground colour inversion effect) could be a problem, especially for people sensitive to visual stimuli and such. For that reason, I might add some extra graphics configuration options, though I'd need to consult someone on that.
(also, possibly having fewer particles effects for performance reasons, because really)

Oh, by the way, the game was partly inspired by the RAVING WORMS ON DRUGS theme (thanks, lolslayer!). I thought I included it in the Afterword, but apparently I included the wrong version in the Jam ZIP. >.<

Now, to respond to the individual reviews:

@ParodyKnaveBob - I'm glad you enjoyed my entry so much, your review really made my day; also, it was quite useful seeing someone play it; thanks a lot ^^

@Mercerenies - I like how you pointed out the sunrise background; the sense of finality was exactly what I aimed for in that part (also, if one looks closely, as the game enters the sunrise section the wormhole shadow in the middle disappears; I guess it means that technically the player exited the wormhole, but let's not look too much into that ^^')

@lolslayer - glad you enjoyed entry, however frustrating it sometimes have been. I've already addressed the checkpoint system and I admit some graphics configuration could make the game easier on the eyes. Could you please elaborate on the epilepsy trigger you mentioned? While I know some general information about epilepsy triggers (flashing images, large areas rapidly changing) I don't have much experience and "sense" of what can or cannot cause a seizure, so I'd be grateful for more details (including the part of Wormhole that might be a trigger and why)

@HayManMarc - thanks a lot for the video playthrough, that singing reminded me of that 3 days of jamming song (guess it's four days now)

@FrostyCat - thanks for the feedback; good call about the leak, in all my rush I totally forgot to clean up the particle types and systems >.< (hopefully I didn't forget to remove the objects themselves, but still)

@Relic - hopefully, the lacking feeling of progression could be addressed by checkpoints...?
On unrelated note, I totally agree that Best Reviewer award should be brought back. I don't know why it got dropped...

@NazGhuL - when it comes to the movement, hopefully it's properly smooth on the Hard difficulty (which I kinda designed my game around, and only then managed some magic numbers for easier levels); also when you said "Unforgivable" I really hope you meant unforgiving ^^'

@curato - as it turned out, the game was played on Walk in a Park difficulty from the get go, which explains why there were no obstacles (it's definitely preferable to some obstacle-devouring bug)

@The M - yeah, I guess having either some collectibles or obstacles pushing the player away from the comfort zone could be useful? Maybe not all the time, but I'll see what I can do

(also, thanks for all the other reviewers for their feedback; I just didn't feel like I had anything in particular to answer to that isn't covered by the points above)

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Alright, now I finally got all the voting post comments sorted out. Check them out here!

I wasn't going into much depth in my reviews, mostly focusing on the things that left an impression on me instead. Still, I hope you people will find my feedback useful. ^^

P

ParodyKnaveBob

I'm keeping some three tabs open for people who reviewed mine to whom I'd like to respond, but just haven't gotten there yet. What a week.

But yep, that was a nice jam. Looks like everyone who spoke therein enjoyed. $:^ ]

lolslayer

@Alice I'm not an expert on epilepsies either, but the part at the end where a ton of obstacles spawn (visually similar to the first obstacles) with all kinds of characters moving in the background, was extremely eye straining, and I can be wrong, but I believe that that's an indicator for when people with epilepsies can be triggered

Last edited:

Bart

WiseBart
Thanks for all your votes and feedback! To summarize, I think I really need to work on making an entry an actually playable game.

I really enjoyed the jam this time and will try to participate next time as well (trying to develop a good habit :))

Apparently, my entry caused quite a bit of confusion to many of you, which I can understand, really :)

The West entrance was in fact the right entrance. It was a first intentional glitch in the game.

I guess nobody found the second intentional glitch that allows you to get to the tv tower, "rise to the skies" and pop the balloons? :D

(under the bridge there's those ugly little out of place triangles doing some z-fighting with the path to the tv tower, which has a nearly black color)

I did have more plans on collecting the words and actually using them but the inspiration just wasn't there.
Translating sentences didn't make it in and neither did the achievements to indicate that you completed something. That's something that I really should've added.

The game inside the game wasn't finished at all. I always tend to try new things in these game jams and this time I did a test to see if I could get one project's assets into another one using a local asset package.
That worked out quite alright, but it left me with an obj_control and an imported obj_control1. In the code, there was still a reference to obj_control which really should've been obj_control1. I didn't spot that one and that's why the game couldn't be completed.

I made a slightly modified version with the achievements added that can be downloaded here.
Here's a walkthrough video of that modified version.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

@Bart - I guess you didn't watch my conclusion video that mentions everyone individually one last time. $;^ ]

Great video @HayManMarc , very fair feedback. In case it wasn't clear enough(I'm not sure if you went back and checked), I did draw all the art myself.

@Alice , I really wanted to do at least one more pose for each gender but it ended up being too much work. Fun fact: I have never drawn a female character in anything before, but it seemed completely wrong to not try here.

@Micah_DS , Your video presence is wonderful in that short recap, looks like you had a great time with all the games. I'm also glad you liked my game logo thing, and cheers for the good feedback.

For anyone interested, my patron sprites(male and female) are actually like, 6 sprites layered(not counting the hair) which I just used image_blend for. And the hairstyles are all 3 layered sprites as well(I think I made five or six styles for each gender?) which ended up being a lot more work than I planned!

Status
Not open for further replies.