• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Free Citadel Stormer: Mini Action Platformer

pixeltroid

cs_header2.jpg

Hi all.

I'd like to present my Gameboy-esque platformer game "Citadel Stormer" -- my very first release!

I originally made this for the 34th GMC gamejam (Aug 22-26, 2019). But after the jam, I decided to fine-tune and balance it, add some new features and re-release it. Because, why not? :)

Gameplay Summary
Basically, its a short platformer in which you must:
  • Avoid spikes and lightning bolts
  • Fight robotic enemies
  • Find keys and flip switches to open doors
  • Perform Jumping challenges

Download Links
ITCH: https://pixeltroid.itch.io/citadel-stormer
GAMEJOLT: https://gamejolt.com/games/citadelstormer/435560

Updates
06/09/19 - V1.6.1 Released. Improved controls and extra ammo! So jumps are easier and you wont run out of ammo.

Sc
reenshots/GIFS

Do please check it out! Comments/criticism/feedback welcome!

Last edited:
10/10 Graphics: I absolutely love the aesthetic you created for this game! The palette is reminiscent of Game Boy games in spite of the high-resolution. The bricks and film-grain compliment each-other perfectly (forgiving the large/blocky character.) The subtle animations "seal the deal." use of color. This reminds me of something else, but I can't quite put my finger on it ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10/10 Gameplay Experience: I found this to be an incredibly smooth game to play. IMO you've perfectly fine-tuned the platform-mechanics. I don't say that lightly. I generally hate playing platform games, but this one was a breeze. The game's learning-curve seemed fair to me, too.

I'm glad that you decided to take a second-pass at this. You did a great job with this. Thank you for sharing, @pixeltroid.

I tried it. Bullet points:
- Good to see when you're out of ammo, it's just long range ammo and you have infinite short range ammo.
- Explosions should probably be brighter and less dark. Explosions tend to light things up before they turn to smoke.
- Uh struggled with the key above the spikes with the platform. The platform never came down and I seem to need the key.
- Lots of blind jumps, but that's the GameBoy for ya. Even coming down platforms felt like a bit of a risk since you couldn't see and there was no incentive to drop down.
- Maybe make the electric barrier destroy your bullets?
- Enemy + Hazard design is good.
- Needs more player animations you obviously know.
- Needs arrow keys and I recommend having some additional keys for use and shoot. I guess I wasn't used to L and O.

pixeltroid

- Uh struggled with the key above the spikes with the platform. The platform never came down and I seem to need the key.
You mean this one?
sbgame.jpg

the platform doesn't come down. You collect the key and return to the previous room and go to the door at the top right. You will re-enter this room at the top.

- Lots of blind jumps, but that's the GameBoy for ya. Even coming down platforms felt like a bit of a risk since you couldn't see and there was no incentive to drop down.
The early version had spikes that kill upon contact. Now there's a temporary platform that gives you a second to jump away to a safe platform. Of course, if you miss you fall on the spikes.
But yes, too many people have said that the blind jumps are a problem. That's why I have added animated arrows signalling the player where to land.

- Maybe make the electric barrier destroy your bullets?
Thats an excellent idea. That way player cant just shoot at enemies through the electricity and must time his attacks. I'll implement it in the next update.

- Enemy + Hazard design is good.
- Needs more player animations you obviously know.
thanks. Yes, I'll think of some animations for when he flips a switch or takes a hit.

- Needs arrow keys and I recommend having some additional keys for use and shoot. I guess I wasn't used to L and O.
Will include in next update. I basically made the controls keeping in mind the tried and tested "movement on the left + attack on right" system of consoles. But I guess many players prefer arrow keys to move around.

xplosions should probably be brighter and less dark. Explosions tend to light things up before they turn to smoke..
I'll see if I can revise the explosion animation. It will have to work against all 4 colors.

Toque

You have pixel art skills for sure. I like the limited colors in the palette.

The game is pretty good. I think it’s just hard for people to get excited about platformers and rank higher.

I did a mini platformer but not nearly as good as yours.

Last edited:

flerpyderp

I'm often reluctant to give honest feedback even if it's requested, because sometimes it becomes apparent that the dev was only hoping for validation. However, I can tell that you are serious about progressing. Here are my thoughts upon opening this topic:

- The name is extremely cool
- It's a touched up jam game. My expectations are low, but as an occasional jammer I'm still interested
- I like the Game Boy aesthetic
- The machine sprites and explosions look quite good. The environment tiles are uninteresting but serviceable
- Main problem - the player character is entirely uninteresting. I find the design very boring, the animation is stiff, and his attack looks weak. I don't care to know more about the character, or play as him
- The footage shown makes me think of countless other bare bones action platformers where the action isn't particularly interesting. 2D action platformers happen to be one of my favourite genres, but I need something to convince me that the game either does something I won't get elsewhere, or does something I could get elsewhere, but better.

I didn't download the game due to these issues found solely from the description and screenshots you provided.

EDIT: This is more of a summary of my thoughts upon opening this thread the other day, before you posted a thread in the game design/dev subforum. I might yet download it and give my feedback having actually played it.

You mentioned that this is your first ever released game, so well done, because it looks relatively polished for a first release.

Last edited:

pixeltroid

- The name is extremely cool
Thanks!

- Main problem - the player character is entirely uninteresting. I find the design very boring, the animation is stiff, and his attack looks weak.
True. He's just a very acrobatic guy wearing a jumpsuit. Its understandable that he comes across as boring. The animation isn't much to speak of. Only his legs move. And his only attack animation is a slight recoil upon firing his gun. But I'll have to work with what I have until I get a better idea. :/

I didn't download the game due to these issues found solely from the description and screenshots you provided.
I will expand my description and add in something of a "story". But beyond that I didn't want to overdo the description as I felt it might inflate what is in reality a very short game that can be beaten in under 10 minutes. As for the screenshots, that's all there is to be honest. I showed the most interesting areas in my game. :(

EDIT: This is more of a summary of my thoughts upon opening this thread the other day, before you posted a thread in the game design/dev subforum. I might yet download it and give my feedback having actually played it.
Please do! Actually, wait. I'll alert you when I upload the next version. I've been correcting a few issues reported by players, namely:

- blind jumps, that if missed sends the player to his death
- problems with recoil
- placements of certain enemies

I also have a few other ideas to improve the player experience.

So once I get the next version out, please give it a shot and let me know your thoughts.

You mentioned that this is your first ever released game, so well done, because it looks relatively polished for a first release.
Thanks!

pixeltroid

You have pixel art skills for sure. I like the limited colors in the palette.

The game is pretty good. I think it’s just hard for people to get excited about platformers and rank higher.

I did a mini platformer but not nearly as good as yours.
Thanks for your words! Ever considered expanding your GMC entry into a proper FULL game, even if its short?

Toque

Thanks for your words! Ever considered expanding your GMC entry into a proper FULL game, even if its short?
No it’s really not interesting enough. I don’t mind short jam games. People have to play 30-50 games. Unless it’s really interested a couple minutes is long enough play for me.

flerpyderp

I will expand my description and add in something of a "story". But beyond that I didn't want to overdo the description as I felt it might inflate what is in reality a very short game that can be beaten in under 10 minutes
I also tend to give very brief game descriptions for short jam games for this reason, but in retrospect feel I should have added a bit more. It's something extra to potentially make someone interested, even if it's only a small game. I mentioned liking the name, that's what initially reeled me in. It made me wonder what the game was about, so I clicked the topic to find out more.

So once I get the next version out, please give it a shot and let me know your thoughts.
Will do!

R

Red Phantom

Played your game a couple of times, the further-est I got to was past the first gate. It was reasonably fun, mostly because of the great art and level design. These were positive aspects of the game.
The biggest letdown in your game is actually the music. Improve the music and the game will be even better in my opinion.

R

Red Phantom

In my opinion, this should have been rated much much higher in the 34th GMC Jam rather than 13th place...