• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Android Help With Export Question

G

GOD-sSs-END

Hey, guys and gals:

I only have a license for exporting my projects to PC, but I'm building a helper app for my friend's game and want to export to phones. Can I do this without a license if I'm just building a phone app for a friend's game? Or do I still need a license even though my app isn't for commercial use?

She is literally going to be the only person using it. It's basically a distance calculator for her PC game. If I can't, then I have to do it in Unity, which doesn't have this constraint. But I'm so much better and more comfortable with Gamemaker Studio 2. And that's the dilemma.

Thanks so much.

I posted this in tech support, but I'm not sure it that's where it needed to go. So, I'm trying here.

I assume you're using GMS2? If you click your "target" icon on your right side of the screen below the IDE/RunTime version number (with only PC license that you have); you can't see any mobile export options (i.e. android, ios), can you? So the answer is simply, no you can't, since you've no ability to export your project made with GMS2 to anything else other than what you've license for.

G

GOD-sSs-END

I assume you're using GMS2? If you click your "target" icon on your right side of the screen below the IDE/RunTime version number (with only PC license that you have); you can't see any mobile export options (i.e. android, ios), can you? So the answer is simply, no you can't, since you've no ability to export your project made with GMS2 to anything else other than what you've license for.
I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing target. I found the IDE/Runtime window but no target. Here's a screenshot. And thanks for your help, man. . . I love Gamemaker Studio. I loath Unity a little.
screen-shot.jpg

H

Homunculus

You definitely need the mobile export module. What @SnortySnoopy is trying to say is that if by any chance you bought the mobile export module along with the desktop one, you'd see the mobile targets by clicking there.

Your image above, the right side with the blue icon, below it says "window ...local, etc. click the target image icon. I'm very sure you won't see any android/ios, etc. other than for pc - if like you said, you only have pc license.

G

GOD-sSs-END

Oh!

Yeah, I got it. And thank you both. I actually just found the answer under the "Game Options" icon, but that target icon is pretty sweet too.

Unity it is, ugh!

I just love everything about Gamemaker Studio, but the price is too much for one app for a friend. I'm not an app guy. But I am one-app-for-a-friend guy.

Take care, and thanks again. You solved it for me. I don't see where to mark solved. Please mark as solved, if you can.

G

GOD-sSs-END

By the way, if I do decide to buy a license (testament to how much I loath Unity), can I do that through the open program? I'm looking for a link now but don't see one.

Not sure what you meant by "open program", regardless what you meant, you can get the mobile license from the same source you got your pc license.

G

GOD-sSs-END

Not sure what you meant by "open program", regardless what you meant, you can get the mobile license from the same source you got your pc license.
Sorry, I just mean "inside" the Gamemaker Studio. But I found everything. Thanks for your time, man. . .

By the way, I said screw it! And bought the damn license.

So there's that.

H

Homunculus

You can also consider the HTML5 export instead, it's cheaper and allows you to run games in javascript inside a browser (which includes mobile as well). And in both iOS and Android, you can "save" web addresses as icons, making them look just like apps. As a target it's a bit different than desktop or mobile, but may be an option to consider.

G

GOD-sSs-END

THAT is super helpful. Sh!t, I wish I new that before I dropped the dough.

Oh, well. I'm over the Rubicon. . .

Thanks, though. I will definitely use that for something down the road. . .