• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android My smallest game is now 50megs?

W

WWAZman

You know I really didn't look when I updated my games 2 be compatible with Google's new requirements for 64-bit. I just checked the size and games are 50 megs?? And that's just for a simple game. Which architectures can I get rid of to shave some file size?

pipebkOT

you can get rid of x86, x86_64 ,and mips if it's still there ,cuz they are obsolete.
You only need armv7 and arm64.

you can use gml pragma "pngcrush" to reduce images file size

and use compressed sounds instead of uncompressed, to save file size.

Last edited:
C

CombatCalamity

you can get rid of x86, x86_64 and mips if it still there.

you can use gml pragma pngcrush to reduce images file size

and use compressed sounds instead of uncompressed, to save file size
How much %% of file size is it going to cut by doing all of that?

C

CombatCalamity

Try it and report back, all of those changes will take no longer than a few minutes to implement and test.

The only one that isn't obvious how to do is using PNGCrush during the compilation, details of which can be found here: https://docs2.yoyogames.com/source/_build/3_scripting/4_gml_reference/miscellaneous/gml_pragma.html
I would do that but currently at work, without any machine that runs gamemaker, for the next 8 to 10 hours. The question, which is a case of estimation, literally doesn't take a few seconds to hit back if someone already dabbled around with this. Not to mention you need to have a project file that's outputting 50MB+ in the first place, so probably a little more than a couple of minutes. Also.. you're assuming everyone has a working android environment + its GMS mobile export all setup and ready to go.

If you don't want to answer you can just let others do it and simply ignore my request, I see a pattern of you doing this all the time to everyone around.

But thanks for that reference.

rIKmAN

I would do that but currently at work, without any machine that runs gamemaker, for the next 8 to 10 hours. The question, which is a case of estimation, literally doesn't take a few seconds to hit back if someone already dabbled around with this. Not to mention you need to have a project file that's outputting 50MB+ in the first place, so probably a little more than a couple of minutes. Also.. you're assuming everyone has a working android environment + its GMS mobile export all setup and ready to go.

If you don't want to answer you can just let others do it and simply ignore my request, I see a pattern of you doing this all the time to everyone around.

But thanks for that reference.
Oh dear LOL - which part of my post offended you?
Was it the information that it is a quick fix to test it out or the link I gave you to the PNGCrush documentation?

But I did answer and gave you the link to the PNGCrush documentation, which I presume you didn't know about seeing as you thanked me for it after being snarky with me.

And thanks, I'm glad you noticed that when people appear to make no effort that I try to help them to help themselves, it means a lot.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
@rIKmAN Answered your post with a perfectly polite and correct answer... the best way to help someone is to teach them to help themselves and by suggesting that you test it yourself he was doing just that. It's all too common for people to ask questions here that they can answer themselves with a little bit of effort, since asking here takes little to no effort at all... But by answering such questions, all we are doing is making the user lazy and incapable of doing proper problem solving in future. Try not to be so sensitive and if you are asking out of curiosity and can't test (as you suggest) then explain that instead of getting upset because someone dared to ask you to do something for yourself. ;)

C

CombatCalamity

So @pipebkOT, how much estimated %% of file size is it going to cut by doing all of that?

Or perhaps anyone know?

GMWolf

aka fel666
It's gonna depend a lot on how much data you have Vs how much code you have. (As well as other factors)

OnLashoc

I read this whole post for future info in my own development and just wanted to add

@rIKmAN has probably helped me as far as quick on the spot answers without any compensation more than anyone else on this entire forum. Please don't ruin that for the rest of us lol newbs (been learning programming via GMS 2 for almost two years now and I'm still just scratching just beneath the surface of the power of it all).

I understand sometimes things get frustrating and time consuming but you have to remember the people answering our questions are people too and are helping out of their very own spare time.

Onnie