• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM Convert YYP to GMX?

MeBoingus

Hi all,

I'm trying to convert a GMS2 project back into a GMS1.4 project. The project is fairly large, so I'd really prefer if there was a way to do this, that doesn't involve countless hours of slowly adding everything from the YYP project's folder to the GMX project's folder.

Long story short; does anyone know of a way to automatically (or even semi-automatically) convert a YYP to a GMX?

Kind Regards,
Liam

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
No. You could try writing a script geared towards your project if you know the format well, but there are just too many new things in GMS 2 for a general converter to make any sense. And it's not in YoYo's interest to publish a converter to a long sunsetted product.

curato

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to roll back to 1.4? Just thinking, it may not be what you are asking for, but maybe we could help address the root cause.

rIKmAN

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to roll back to 1.4? Just thinking, it may not be what you are asking for, but maybe we could help address the root cause.
I'll take a guess and say available export targets.

curato

I'll take a guess and say available export targets.
Yes I know there may be things that may be unavoidable in going back, but I thought I would ask in case it was something addressable and save a butt load of work if it could be done in GMS 2

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Why would you want to roll back to an outdated engine with GMS2 scripts and code that GMS1 cant read?

Thats like going from a ford pickup to a Ferrari California then wanting to take everything inside the Ferrari and shove it into the Ford

rIKmAN

Why would you want to roll back to an outdated engine with GMS2 scripts and code that GMS1 cant read?
Thats like going from a ford pickup to a Ferrari California then wanting to take everything inside the Ferrari and shove it into the Ford
As I said above my guess is that they have all the export targets on GMS 1.4 from previous purchases or the Humble Bundle deal, that's the only thing that would make logical sense.
Yes I know there may be things that may be unavoidable in going back, but I thought I would ask in case it was something addressable and save a butt load of work if it could be done in GMS 2
As people have said above, there is no "one click converter" to go back to 1.4 compatible code, so whatever way you do it there is going to manual work involved.
How much work will depend on your GMS2 project and how many of the new GMS2 systems it uses that will need to be backported / recoded to work within the featureset of 1.4.

For example if your game relied on the new tile system which doesn't exist in 1.4.

MeBoingus

Hi guys :) Didn't receive notifications for these replies, so I only just caught wind of them now.

No. You could try writing a script geared towards your project if you know the format well, but there are just too many new things in GMS 2 for a general converter to make any sense. And it's not in YoYo's interest to publish a converter to a long sunsetted product.
I was thinking of doing exactly this when I posted the topic, but I wanted to see if their were any pre-existing methods that some users may be, well... using?

My girlfriend's GMS2 license (the she bought to learn the basics of programming, and then subsequently gave to me) is expiring soon. Without going into too much detail; I am unable to renew the license at this point in time.

This gave me a good laugh! In my case I'm switching from the Ferrari to a bicycle, because my driver's license is expiring.

As I said above my guess is that they have all the export targets on GMS 1.4 from previous purchases or the Humble Bundle deal, that's the only thing that would make logical sense.

As people have said above, there is no "one click converter" to go back to 1.4 compatible code, so whatever way you do it there is going to manual work involved.
How much work will depend on your GMS2 project and how many of the new GMS2 systems it uses that will need to be backported / recoded to work within the featureset of 1.4.

For example if your game relied on the new tile system which doesn't exist in 1.4.
I'll take some time aside today to throw together a dirty script to take all GMS1.4-compatible features in a YYP and convert them into a GMX. It shouldn't be too difficult to do programmatically, especially because my current project was moved across from GMS 1.4, and it doesn't use (m)any of the new features.

Thanks for all the help, everyone! :)

Last edited:

curato

I meant to avoid rolling back to begin with, but it is a moot point now.