• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Need help fixing character grid movement

M

MMGames

Dear all,

I'm a newby on this game making thing, but I've always wanted to do a Pokemon-like game (I played Pokemon Red when I was 10 and it changed me). When I found Game Maker I decided to give it a try.

I'm doing quite well, but I'm having some issues with the character movement. I noticed it's not fluid, it's like "laggy", the character moves not smoothly and using the snap position option (I want the character to stay inside the grid) makes the character jump sometimes.

I also noticed that if I'm moving the character down but then I press right, it will move to the right still looking down. I really don't know how to fix this. I would appreciate if someone could give me a hand. Or maybe there is a tutorial already for this kind of movement?
I have the "object" version of GMStudio2 (not code version).

I'm attaching screenshots and even a video.
Thanks a lot for your time.

Video link (4.3MB) http://www.mediafire.com/file/2ln2t9xumtx3miz/charactermovement.mp4/file

Attachments