• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker [SOLVED] Surfaces & Blendmodes?

Neptune

I have two surfaces, S0 & S1. Both surfaces are filled with various color at 1.0 alpha.
When I set the drawing target to S1, and draw an opaque black sprite (bm_normal), it seems to chang the alpha of that entire area on the surface... allowing S0 to been seen underneath.
upload_2019-8-19_9-38-18.png
Is there a blendmode or a way I can just pancake opaque sprites onto S1, without cutting holes into it?
Any info is appreciated!

Neptune

Idk if its noteworthy, but the black opaque spot is being drawn using:
Code:
event_perform(ev_draw,0);
In psuedo the drawing process is:
Code:
surface_set_target(S1);

//FILL SURF WITH COLOR
   //RENDER OPAQUE SPOTS WITH 'event_perform'

surface_reset_target();

//DRAW SURF
Where S0 is just the application surface.

Neptune

Creating a blank shader and adding
Code:
gl_FragColor.a = 1.0;
seems to solve the issue when used to draw S1...
Code:
varying vec2 v_vTexcoord;
varying vec4 v_vColour;
void main()
{
    gl_FragColor = v_vColour * texture2D(gm_BaseTexture, v_vTexcoord );
    gl_FragColor.a = 1.0;
}
Uhh, this is all addressed here: https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/60/alpha-and-surfaces
However, all of the mentioned solution-functions don't seem to exist in GMS2, and this was the only way I could understand to go about fixing it.

Long story short, the alpha equation is:
Code:
final_alpha = (source_alpha * source_alpha) + (destination_alpha * (1-source_alpha));
So, a source of 0.5, and destination of 1.0 results in 0.75 or... holes in your surface :D