Any way around the Windows SmartScreen Warning?

K12gamer

When I have people download my games...I don't want them to see warnings like this...

What can I do so my games don't get flagged?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
The point of extended validation is to not only give you a certificate, but to also conduct a background check on you as a company before that. There are places where they can do it cheaper than $200 (example), but there won't be a free place to do it. Either you buy your own certificate, or get involved with a store (e.g. Microsoft Store, Steam, etc.) where they'll do the validation and use their certificate to sign your product.

Signing and identity validation are costs of doing business in the desktop market these days. If you can't make back the investment, don't stick your hand in a market of people who aren't immune to Smartscreen scaremongering.

K12gamer

The point of extended validation is to not only give you a certificate, but to also conduct a background check on you as a company before that. There are places where they can do it cheaper than $200 (example), but there won't be a free place to do it. Either you buy your own certificate, or get involved with a store (e.g. Microsoft Store, Steam, etc.) where they'll do the validation and use their certificate to sign your product.

Signing and identity validation are costs of doing business in the desktop market these days. If you can't make back the investment, don't stick your hand in a market of people who aren't immune to Smartscreen scaremongering.
Trying the Microsoft store approach right now. (I have the UWP module for GameMaker Studio 1.4)
Any other popular stores that already perform this "extended validation?"
What about: itch.io, Game Jolt, Kongregate, CNET, Source Forge, Amazon?
These are some of the places I've put games...but don't know if "extended validation was included"

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Trying the Microsoft store approach right now. (I have the UWP module for GameMaker Studio 1.4)
Any other popular stores that already perform this "extended validation?"
What about: itch.io, Game Jolt, Kongregate, CNET, Source Forge, Amazon?
These are some of the places I've put games...but don't know if "extended validation was included"
None of them. And Amazon doesn't sell Windows apps.

If something allows you to just upload stuff without a direct audit on you or formal certification, then there is no extended validation. People with Smartscreen set to the more zealous levels will still get that blocking popup.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

And Amazon doesn't sell Windows apps.
That's not true. I have an Amazon developer account and they do allow publishing titles for Windows and Mac. Whether they allow for UWP formatted apps, I'm not sure.

K12gamer

That's not true. I have an Amazon developer account and they do allow publishing titles for Windows and Mac. Whether they allow for UWP formatted apps, I'm not sure.
I had a game on Amazon for about a year (made about $20)...but they took it down because they said it had a link to another site.
The Game Page is still there: LINK:
Do you have any games on Amazon...or are there other places you prefer? (Any Links?)

K12gamer

Just out of curiosity, did you have a link to another site in there?
Yes...to other sites that sold my game (Didn't realize it was a crime)
I might update the game (Take out the links) and resubmit it again....but Amazon seems so picky...they made me lose my motivation.
Not sure if Amazon included "extended validation" with my downloads.