• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE [SOLVED] Can't figure out how to add objects to extensions

hippyman

Exactly as the title states, I can't add objects to extensions. What happened to being able to export IDE resources to extensions? I didn't think I should have to mention this since it's in the 2.x forum but this is pertaining to GMS 2.x.

Last edited:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I just updated my FHInput extension today. The IDE where you update stuff for the market has 2 columns with tree structures, with a few buttons in the middle so you can select stuff on the left(including objects) and then use the buttons to add them to the right. Then whatever is included on the right is what gets put into the file for the marketplace.

Now, I know this isn't exactly what you wanted. The exact thing you want I'm not sure how to make happen. But, an option would be to set yourself up as a publisher on the marketplace and create a new asset, even if for free. You technically could set it up and never actually publish it, and the developer side of the marketplace let's you download your uploaded assets too.

hippyman

I just updated my FHInput extension today. The IDE where you update stuff for the market has 2 columns with tree structures, with a few buttons in the middle so you can select stuff on the left(including objects) and then use the buttons to add them to the right. Then whatever is included on the right is what gets put into the file for the marketplace.

Now, I know this isn't exactly what you wanted. The exact thing you want I'm not sure how to make happen. But, an option would be to set yourself up as a publisher on the marketplace and create a new asset, even if for free. You technically could set it up and never actually publish it, and the developer side of the marketplace let's you download your uploaded assets too.
You are talking about using 1.x. I'm talking about using 2.x. If I'm mistaken please point out where you're finding this.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
No...I'm talking about using GMS2.x. The thing though is that it isn't using the "extensions" that are part of the resource tree. It is working with the dialogs that come up when creating marketplace assets. That's why I mentioned above that it isn't exactly what you wanted...though it does work, putting objects in there as part of the file.

hippyman

Oooooh sorry for the misunderstanding yet again. This is exactly what I was looking for!
No idea what their logic was here but they definitely did move it so thank you for pointing that out.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
No problem...the issue is that I DO remember that originally the only thing allowed in extension was gml code and d&d actions. Then with GMS they added a system to actually add objects, and even call a specific script when initializing the extension, so you could have it just work, creating it's own objects. With GMS2 you can't add objects to extensions, but you CAN do it with asset packages, along with rooms, fonts, and everything else.

I remember at one point, you couldn't add objects to extensions right? But you could make objects, including defining code for events, all in GML. This was before the compiler was removed from the runner itself. So I had my extension(kbinput at that time) totally defining the control object in GML code, and then creating an instance of that controller object. This was the only way to work around objects not being able to be included in extensions. It was quite an interesting thing to work around though.

hippyman

No problem...the issue is that I DO remember that originally the only thing allowed in extension was gml code and d&d actions. Then with GMS they added a system to actually add objects, and even call a specific script when initializing the extension, so you could have it just work, creating it's own objects.
This is something I didn't know either. I didn't get into making extensions until I started using GMS 1.x regularly. I guess it makes more sense that extensions are only language based and then you can now create asset packages. It makes more sense it would just be nice if they pointed that out a little more clearly for people transitioning from 1.x to 2.x.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I have actually brought up the same issue in another topic:
That's not really a shortcut relative to what GMS 1.x can do, which is creating asset packages locally without committing to a marketplace-wide package ID or a publisher certificate. Why was that feature removed from GMS 2.x in the first place, and are there plans for adding it back?

Look, not every batch transfer is meant to be reusable in the long run, and making people rely on the cloud for routine local batch operations is a cause for serious concern.
Since Russell mentioned it, I'm going to tag @Mike for this one. There's a genuine need for the ability to add resources to local extension packages, and removing it from GMS 2.x just to force us to use the Marketplace cloud sounds kind of fishy.

hippyman

I have actually brought up the same issue in another topic:

Since Russell mentioned it, I'm going to tag @Mike for this one. There's a genuine need for the ability to add resources to local extension packages, and removing it from GMS 2.x just to force us to use the Marketplace cloud sounds kind of fishy.
This is something I can agree with entirely. I get the idea of separating language extensions from asset packages, but we should be able to create local asset packages that aren't required for the marketplace. Some things I don't intend to release to the public but still use regularly through out projects. No reason to have the marketplace be used as a glorified cloud service which is mostly what I would use it for if this is the only way to handle asset packages.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
We are aware of the need for "local" libraries (which I guess this is really), and have plans to rectify this, but aren't in a position to do it just now I'm afraid. But I do agree...."local" packages would be great.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Yes Mike, "local libraries" describes what we want pretty accurately. I'm glad to see something is in the works too.

Carloskhard

We are aware of the need for "local" libraries (which I guess this is really), and have plans to rectify this, but aren't in a position to do it just now I'm afraid. But I do agree...."local" packages would be great.
Please make this someday

Last edited: