• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Cant import large sprites

V

ViceVersa

I have a sprite at size 12800 x 2140. When i try to import the image, it doesnt say anything and acts as if it worked, but the image remains blank. Anybody know whats going on? Is this going to have to be imported in pieces or something?

pipebkOT

@ViceVersa
I have a sprite at size 12800 x 2140
why do you have a sprite that big, is a sprite sheet?

Is this going to have to be imported in pieces or something?
yes, learn about textures pages https://docs2.yoyogames.com/source/_build/1_overview/3_additional_information/texture_pages.html

a sprite that big will not fit in a texture page, unless is resized

some targets will not permit pages larger than 2048x2048px. It's also worth noting that even if you have a resource that is larger than 4096px in size - or the maximum size for the chosen platform - this will be scaled down by half (and half again if necessary) until it fits on the maximum page size, it will not be split into sections over various texture pages.

V

ViceVersa

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Do you have enough free RAM to load this graphic into memory? The preview might look like it failed if you're out of RAM. Apart from that, the only other thing I can recommend is reducing the resolution or importing it in multiple parts, as this sprite will fit on no texture page anyway and would be resized upon compilation.

curato

You are going to likely have to break that up to get it to work properly. For example I have seen some plan games that the background is basically just water and that background is scrolled then they add details with sprites that get scrolled under the plane. Depending on what you are doing there is method to get the image you imagine to appear without overrunning the page file. A lot of game designed is trying to figure out how to get what you imagine to work on the equipment you and your customers have access to.