How can I make a walkable area for a drawn background and not tiled

E

electricstix

I have a drawn background, similar to what you would see in a point and click adventure like Space Quest. I have a sprite that is the player that moves where I click the mouse. Right now, it can be anywhere on the screen. Since the background is a cliff, I want to make sure the player can only walk on top of the cliff. How can I mask this?

E

electricstix

Well, I have 2 questions about that. 1. How can I create those and 2, what if the image is not in perfect rectangles or tiles. I mean it's a hand drawn image background.

pipebkOT

How can I create those
create a object, uncheck visible, assign the sprite, make a collision event with the player, in there put a blank code textbox

what if the image is not in perfect rectangles or tiles
you can assign whatever shaped sprite to the object, it all depends on the sprite, is not obligatory to use squared tile sized sprites, you can use rectangular, or any shape you want

E

electricstix

I found out what to do for this. I started a new thread with a more specific question regarding this. To make a long story short, I am assigning an image mask with precise collision that masks out the background and then I am assigning a sprite collision mask to the player. I have a specific question about that in my other thread. which I am posting now. I am new here, so I am now just finding out how to correctly post.

thread:
how do i know where a sprite collision is assigned when its different size from actual sprite