• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

(Me) How to make good art?

E

ethian

I would like to be an artist, a hand-drawn and colored one and also a digital one, but not a simple one.

The best hand-drawn artwork i had seen to nowadays is this :

And digital one is this :

But idk how they made them...

And i guess speedpaints doesn't help so much at all...

Someone can show me how to make those artworks like how they are? Some tutorials?

Also, i use Krita for digital art, i don't want to use the same programs they used to do the digital artwork i shown, i want to make my artworks have a similar art style, but not 100% accurate... but still surprising for everyone...

Reactions: Roa

curato

Art classes never hurt if you never took any. Otherwise, the more you study the shapes of things and practice a consistent style will develop. Personally, I studied some back in the day and my art usually comes out as either fluffy impressionism or holy crap I can't believe there is so much detail in that. I have trouble forcing myself into the middle.

pixeltroid

If you like drawing people, study human anatomy. Acquaint yourself with bone structures and muscles, and how the muscles change shape when the character has different poses.

Also study being able to draw people and limbs in perspective. I think its called foreshortening.

Forget about being creative and using colors for now. You will need to practice for several hours every day drawing nothing but boring basic things like hands, legs, poses etc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13992

Just draw. Seriously. Have pencils and drawpads around the house in reach. Draw anything, doesn't matter. Doesn't matter how good it is either. Then when you're finished drawing, draw some more.

You're not going to get good overnight, so be patient and keep drawing.

E

ethian

Y'know? I just made this thread for improve my drawing skills, and avoid making something cartoonish anymore as i considerer something simple in drawing...

I guess this random drawing found on the internet seems a cartoon, just a bit... or nothing actually?

I guess the humanized animals are not necessary to be cartoons... or what?

E

ethian

Y'know? I'm currently improving my art by myself by understanding the art styles i want to draw at...

I want to make my art style for the humans, like FNAFHS (Simple, a bit Anime-ish, Big Eyes, some Anime-ish details like the mouths, blah blah blah...) or like LavanderTowne's (Similar to FNAFHS) or Temmie Chang's (Also similar to FNAFHS)

Also, for anthropomorphic animals like how the Furry Fandom draw (I saw a video tutorial of how to draw furries and it was good!), and certain kind of monsters (Like Dragons) and others in a certain, cool, "extreme" style or art (An acquaintance of mine called "Royal Art" draws them in that style of art.)

...how to exactly understand art styles???

K12gamer

I'm amazed that some people just seem naturally more talented than others at making art...as if they were born to draw.

Here are some art samples from some of my students in my computer class (Grades 4-7). Art done with MS Paint and a Mouse.
Honestly...these kids can make better art than me...How is that possible??? (More samples here LINK)

Art is a skill. You will get better. Practice each and every day. Good colors can make up for lack of quality. Force yourself 2 hours a day. Also the sad thing is while you will get more efficient, that good art will take more time.

Until you get good at art, get good at colors. They help art look good.

Last edited:
W

Walky

If you like drawing people, study human anatomy. Acquaint yourself with bone structures and muscles, and how the muscles change shape when the character has different poses.

Also study being able to draw people and limbs in perspective. I think its called foreshortening.

Forget about being creative and using colors for now. You will need to practice for several hours every day drawing nothing but boring basic things like hands, legs, poses etc.
This.

Start with real people (and hopefully never really stop). There's a reason art schools will make you draw models, and will probably make you pose for your classmates, and make your classmates pose for you, and tell you that you should be doing the same at home study meetups too, and make you draw 10 second sketches, and 1 minute sketches, and 5 minutes sketches (not to be confused with art workshops where you may be allowed to draw/paint anything you want and the teacher will just make corrections). Well animated cartoon characters look natural because the animators usually have a good knowledge of the basics of how a person moves and its body structure (besides, of course, having a grip on the 12 principles of animation), it's not just about making a deformed character just for the sake of making it "different" and then making its arms and legs move when they walk and talk. Fat, thin, tall, short, young, old people look and move differently, just as different cartoon characters differ between themselves; no need to draw the Vitruvian Man ten thousand times.

Focusing on creating a "style" without considering the basics at all will only make it harder to learn things later due to preconceptions and the sudden need to unlearn things.

I wouldn't go so far as to say you should forget about drawing other stuff you feel like drawing, but giving the above a higher priority should make a difference. But it takes time.

pixeltroid

This.

Start with real people (and hopefully never really stop). There's a reason art schools will make you draw models, and will probably make you pose for your classmates, and make your classmates pose for you, and tell you that you should be doing the same at home study meetups too, and make you draw 10 second sketches, and 1 minute sketches, and 5 minutes sketches (not to be confused with art workshops where you may be allowed to draw/paint anything you want and the teacher will just make corrections). Well animated cartoon characters look natural because the animators usually have a good knowledge of the basics of how a person moves and its body structure (besides, of course, having a grip on the 12 principles of animation), it's not just about making a deformed character just for the sake of making it "different" and then making its arms and legs move when they walk and talk. Fat, thin, tall, short, young, old people look and move differently, just as different cartoon characters differ between themselves; no need to draw the Vitruvian Man ten thousand times.

Focusing on creating a "style" without considering the basics at all will only make it harder to learn things later due to preconceptions and the sudden need to unlearn things.

I wouldn't go so far as to say you should forget about drawing other stuff you feel like drawing, but giving the above a higher priority should make a difference. But it takes time.
I used to practice drawing poses and foreshortened limbs with the help of action figures. I used a Goku figure:

gokku.jpg

They helped me understand how the body can be broken down into basic shapes like spheres and cylinders. After drawing one pose, I'd simply remodel the figure into a different pose and draw it.

I'd advise @ethian to also start practice drawing this way.

E

ethian

I used to practice drawing poses and foreshortened limbs with the help of action figures. I used a Goku figure:

View attachment 26060

They helped me understand how the body can be broken down into basic shapes like spheres and cylinders. After drawing one pose, I'd simply remodel the figure into a different pose and draw it.

I'd advise @ethian to also start practice drawing this way.
Thanks but, i already done that, but using drawings that made me go nuts instead... for understand the art style.
The legendary hero of the GMC... has returned...
Why???
Also, thanks for calling me "Legendary hero"... idk why they called me of this way...

Find a bush/shrub somewhere outside that is roughly 5 ft tall and 3 to 4 ft wide. Draw it everyday for 3 days spending no less than 2 hrs per session. After this, choose the drawing that seems closest to an accurate/natural likeness and turn it upside down and draw that twice, spending no less than 1 hr per session.
After doing this process on about 5 bushes/shrubs, start doing this same thing with portraits. You'll want to find someone to sit for you in person.
If you'd like, please post pictures of your subjects here when you're done (photographs of the subjects as well as the drawings).