Does anyone have any tips for coding/ the best way to learn it fast.

J

Jamie Gargrave

Hey,

So I am new to making games and I was wondering if anyone is able to help, Shoot me a discord message Jamie#8739

M

MoncefFennich DZDev

I Have A tip for you
Do A Math In You Mind Then In Your Editor :
Like When Enemy Hit You
Code:
if (place_meeting(x,y,obj_player))
{
with (obj_player)
{
gotHit=true;
if (gotHit) && (!invisible) && (self.damageStg>0)
{
hp=hp-self.damageStg;
invisible=invisibleDur;
}
}else
{
obj_player.gotHit=false;
}

M

MoncefFennich DZDev

Another Tip:
Do A Comment To Understand What This Function/Setting/Math Function Do If You Forget It Or You Want To Share Your Work,You Are Free To Write Your Own Comment
Code:
//In GML This Line Is A Comment.
/*
You Can Do A Multiple Comment Line.
Hi, I Am Another Line!
*/

T

TinyGamesLab

Coding is just about problem solving as it is about the syntax.
Learn the general idea behind variables (and their scope), conditionals and loops.
Then try solving some math problems with the recent acquired knowledge, such as having a variable go from 0 to 10, from 10 to 0, have only the odd numbers between 0 and 50, calculate a area of a circumference, etc...
Then learn about data structure and objects x instances and try showing these values in the screen, maybe changing its position for each new value, etc...
Try watching tutorials about coding on ti YouTube but focus on the ones that teach you how think about it rather than the syntax of a specific function of a specific language. Dont worry if it is not the same coding language, as the basis for coding is the same on most languages even if writing it may be slightly different (variables, contionals, loops, etc...)
I'm actualy very inclined on starting a tutorial series teaching how to code on GMS, but focusing a lot on the problem solving part integrated with the language.

M

MoncefFennich DZDev

GML Is The Easiest Program Language, You Can Learn About It In one WEEK!
Gml Needs Math Skills And English because I m Algerian ._.

S

Sanctifier

The way I made my initial start was to go through a project I did in Drag & Drop and look up the GML equivalents for everything that I added. After this I began looking up the functions I need as I went, which helped to demystify essential tools like arrays and for loops. Though I'm still only scratching the surface, I find that I have a good foundation now and can carry out most of the basic tasks of creating a game: movement, shooting, health bars, etc.

Here's a useful DnD to GML conversion to get you started.
http://easygml.weebly.com/dnd-to-gml.html

Rob

My advice is once you get used to gml basics, don't avoid learning things that crop up. There are plenty of things that seemed complicated or black magic to me that are really simple.

You can probably say that all things are easier to code once you know how but some things are easier to pick up even if they seemed complicated.

Also : use the manual. The turning point for me was when I was able to understand the manual entries properly. If you're trying to achieve something in Gamemaker, there's probably a function for it (or at least to make things easier).

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Yeah, I'd say the best way to learn programming is by doing it. Try to solve problems first by doing what you already can (looking stuff up in the manual when you're unsure), and if you can't, google what you're trying to do and see if there's any suggestions. Try to read explanations first before you start copypasting code, they're almost always easier to read and understand than code (unless I wrote them :p), and lets you figure out stuff you can solve with the tools you already know how to use a lot of the time. Copypasting code generally doesn't make you learn anything about it, constructing it yourself out of small bits and pieces you sorta know how they work does.

rIKmAN

the best way to learn it fast.
There is no shortcut to learning how to code, you have to put in the time and effort to learn how to do it, and more importantly: understand it.

Skipping important basics or trying to fast track yourself to a level beyond your understanding is just doing yourself a disservice and will come back to bite you sooner or later.

Toque

Some people will pick up things quick.

Some it Just takes lots of time effort.

It was more challenging than I expected.

I like to make little games and implement one new thing into every project.

Niels

Another Tip:
Do A Comment To Understand What This Function/Setting/Math Function Do If You Forget It Or You Want To Share Your Work,You Are Free To Write Your Own Comment
Code:
//In GML This Line Is A Comment.
/*
You Can Do A Multiple Comment Line.
Hi, I Am Another Line!
*/
I'm pretty proficient with coding and your post confused the hell out of me haha

M

MishMash

Constantly challenge yourself. If you want to get good at programming and game dev, making lots and lots of small projects and trying out different things: platforms, tower defence, RPGs; getting experience with a wide range of gameplay systems will give you a lot of experience. You'll need to learn new programming techniques and algorithms to solve problems. Then, you can start linking components together, building them into a bit of a bigger project. This will then give you experience in managing larger projects, with more code.

Playing around in the room editor, while fun, will not make you a better programmer. All this said, there is a different approach if you want to get good at game design in general, and there is value in that, but that's a different story. :)

O

Old School Ben

I would probably recommend starting with a simple D&D that you understand and right-clicking to change it GML. It'll really help you understand what's going on on the code side.