What are good external programs for making sprites?

D

debleb

I want my game to have a hand-drawn feel (and I'm also not good at pixel art) so I was trying to use FireAlpaca to make sprites. However, drawing small in FireAlpaca just doesn't work and compressing something from, say, 340 x 340 to 34 x 34 just doesn't work well. Do you know anywhere where i could realistically do this?

johnwo

If you want a hand-drawn feel I assume you've got a tablet.
FireAlpaca is a good program for this purpose, albeit I use Krita myself, which IMO has a bit more flexibility at the price of being a tad more complex.
Draw the sprites in the dimensions you want them to appear ingame for the best results.

curato

Yeah depending on how detailed the original is, reducing it can look pretty good or really bad. Usually to work at that small of a scale, you need to be willing to get in there and poke at the pixel level to get what you want. It is tight to work with the limited area on get the shape you want without it looking bad.

D

debleb

If you want a hand-drawn feel I assume you've got a tablet.
FireAlpaca is a good program for this purpose, albeit I use Krita myself, which IMO has a bit more flexibility at the price of being a tad more complex.
Draw the sprites in the dimensions you want them to appear ingame for the best results.
I'll give Krita a shot then

O

Old School Ben

Are you looking to have animated sprites? I use Piskel for pixel sprite animations though the program starts to bog down with massive sprites with lots of colors and frames of animation.

Personally or hand-drawn sprites I just draw them on paper then scan them and vector/color digitally.

It really depends on what you would like to accomplish.