• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Sprite Flickers When Rotated

JoeHoratio

Hi all,

Very novice question here I suspect... I've been tinkering with a top down space shooter and I'm having issues with with the sprite drawing. The ship keeps a steady speed and I'm using left and right to adjust direction and rotate the sprite via 'image_angle'. The problem is that when the sprite is rotated to face certain directions, it doesn't draw smoothly, it seems to flicker and distorted lines appear. The effect seems to be markedly worse when I'm using a moving camera/viewpoint where the object almost looks as though it is shaking. The problem doesn't occur when the ship is stationary, only when moving.

I thought it might be something to do with having the code in the step event... constantly adjusting the angle causing the flickering but it doesn't seem to be the case. I've also tried it without the camera follow but no luck...

Can you help a guy out here?

Thanks

A

Annoyed Grunt

Graphical artifacts such as these are usually the cause of viewport problems. Are you running the game in windowed? Full screen? What view size? What viewport resolution?