Super Mario Maker 2

Not having much luck on Twitter so I figure I might try here.
I love the Mario Maker games and this new seems to be pretty great so far!

Anyway, leave your course or maker IDs here and I will follow you and try out your courses!

My maker ID is: 027-0P6-80G

I've only made onebasic and boring course so far but hereis the code anyway
Jungle Cave: LQK-X45-RRG

Looking forward to seeing some courses from some of you guys(if you exist)

Maker/Course IDs

Siolfor the Jackal - 027-0P6-80G
  • Jungle Cave: LQK-X45-RRG
Mercerenies - 69P-LWT-DMG

RangerX
  • Clear the Way! - 4QR-K29-LYG
  • The Swamp of Giants - 794-13M-JJF
RichHopefulComposer
  • Under the Great Oak: X8X-X54-0VG
Cloaked Games - 0P9-N5M-2TG

sofaspartan - 89F-BMN-RMF
  • Up The Vines: S7W-P8X-9MF
  • Cloud Quest: HCM-MBX-WHF
  • Deep Deep Down: FJJ-2RH-W4G
  • Pipe Place: WP1-YXD-SRG
BattleRifle BR55
  • 8FV-RY9-LFG
MaGicBush - Y64-1YD-Y1G

Last edited:

Roa

I've always liked the idea of a game like this, I used to play super mario brothers X a lot, but the community that makes all this stuff just make troll levels or only for the die hard mario players and its just boring for anyone who wants a sane and normal mario experience from the users. So while I have great interest, I've never convinced myself it was worth getting.

Yeah there is quite a bit of that here which is a shame. But I'm still managing to find a variety of more average and fun levels.
Seems to be less of an issue so far in this version over the original.
I try and make mostly average levels and when I eventually upload them I hope some people are relieved to play something that isn't crazy all the time.

How do you already have 400 plays? My levels have like 3. Also, thanks for the world record ;)
What world record? Oh, were you the clown who played before me and walked really slowly like an old person through the level? I guess your giant turtle avatar fits, huh? Huehuehue. >=D
Thanks for the easy mode weak stuff "jump on worms" level, too. First "world record" and first "first to clear," all in the span of like thirty seconds? They don't make games as hard as they used to anymore I guess. Smell ya later nerds pffffff. >;D

I actually took like twenty tries to beat Merc's time, lol. Stupid giant goomba at the end kept catching me. :'D

jk, fun levels guys. X'D
You can bounce on like five goombas in a row at the beginning of @Siolfor the Jackal's level. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, but I'm leaning "yes" because of the convenient dents in the cave ceiling, and it was a lot of fun. =D
@Mercerenies level was fun, too, even though it took me like ten tries. Those 💩💩💩💩ing wigglers on the horizontal tracks didn't want to cooperate with me, and apparently you have to actually *hit the ribbon* to complete the level in Mario Maker, which I forgot about, hahah.

Finishing up my level now, so I'll post it sometime tomorrow. It's taking forever because it's two overworld portions with a twisty windy cave in the middle. I'm trying to make it pretty hard but fun for experienced Mario peeps.

This is a cool thread, so thanks Siolfor. Had a lot of fun seeing some of your guys' design sensibilities translated to Mario levels, and I'm looking forward to more from everybody. =D

^Also, related:
I'm gonna pick up the game sometime within the next couple weeks. I won't be making courses, but I am interested in trying out the courses that will be posted in this thread.
Make some courses, coward! :p

Last edited:

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
I haven't played yet, but I've been watching my husband play.
I like the new stuff but miss a lot of the old stuff...

Mario 3 theme. Finally, a man of culture. =')

99% of my levels use the Mario 3 theme, lol
That's because Mario 3 is factually and objectively the best Mario game ever jk but I do think it's the best

Unfortunately, I don't really have the desire to play Mario Maker. I see no point when I can just make platformers myself. Also, it's $80 (including online) which I would rather spend on other games. Glad the sequel turned out good, though!

That's because Mario 3 is factually and objectively the best Mario game ever jk but I do think it's the best

Unfortunately, I don't really have the desire to play Mario Maker. I see no point when I can just make platformers myself. Also, it's $80 (including online) which I would rather spend on other games. Glad the sequel turned out good, though!
I have the same thought as you sometimes when I'm spending hours making a MM level ("I could be working on my own platformer right now..."), but the fun of MM is what you're seeing in this thread: getting to see what you can make with limited tools, and having fun playing other people's creations with the same restrictions. With art, music, sound, and the game engine already taken care of for you, the only thing left is game design. It's really fun messing around in that space and seeing what other people (including game dev friends) come up with on "equal footing."

And there are basically infinite Mario levels for you to download and play. And you can play all these levels cooperatively or versus online and off. And the entire package is so charming and well put together. I had hours of fun yesterday playing SUPER EXPERT Mario levels with random strangers, trying to do insane platforming and puzzle solving (!!!) together. There was a level where one person had to act as a step stool for others while they went ahead and opened doors and stuff like that, then kicked a trampoline down for the first person. One versus level I played was like the "game theory" thought experiment, where one route was super easy if everyone allowed one player to win, but the level was nearly impossible if everyone tried to win for themselves, accomplished with clever gate/switch mechanics. One level was a long race to the left, only to meet up with a wall of giant horizontal thwomps that chased everyone all the way BACK to the beginning while smashing the entire level we just platformed over, finally smashing the wall right where we started and revealing the hidden goal just beside the starting point. Boss music and goofy sound effects played the entire time, which had me almost crying laughing as everyone scrambled for their lives back over the pain in the ass level we all just carefully traversed. All amazing experiences from random amateur levels I bumped into.

Unless you played the first one and really disliked it or something, I'd really consider picking it up. It's a huge celebration of experimentation and game design, held neatly together with Mario's fantastic art, music, and physic's engine. One of the best games ever made, in my opinion.

Also, yeah. Whenever I'm talking about 2D Marios, I have a hard time definitively picking between World and 3, because I love them both. I know in my heart which is best, though. I just bought my little Bro a Famicom and a JP copy of 3. The Japanese version is a bit harder than the US version, so I'm looking forward to playing through it with him again when we have a spare day. =D

Last edited:

RangerX

Sometimes I get this feel for design. Just designing. Its fun to just design and not do everything. Of course this would never replace my project but sometimes you just want a certain type of run. Super Mario Maker 2 is infinite fun.
You need to escapes, those entertaining moments in order to be fresh and motivated anyways in order to continue your real game projects.

Alright, finished my level! Check it out, guys! =D

Under the Great Oak: XQH-DNY-3XG

Travel under a big tree to get to the goal! I aimed for "the harder parts of Mario 3" difficulty, so it might be a little tough. That said, my nine year old nephew beat it after about twenty minutes thanks to some generous checkpoints. His review was "impossible but still fun," lol. Hope you guys have fun with it, too. I spent way longer on it than I probably should have on it, hahah. :'D

I still have to play Ranger's level, too. I'll edit this post when I do.

Last edited:

RangerX

Crazy how we get even less plays than in Super Mario Maker. Nintendo really failed this.
The game seems to be more popular than the first one and the level limit is not 10 but 32. So there probably is a buttload more levels at once right at the start so alot of them unplayed. :(
And their algorythm to appear in people's challenges and search categories seems 💩💩💩💩ed up. It should favorise more unplayed levels.

EDIT:
LOL RichHopefulComposer you go play my level instead of just liking my posts :banana:
Tell me what you think after that. I'll play yours too next time I plug in. Try to get my alternate goals also. :p

Last edited:
@RangerX I dug some of the stuff you did with your level. The boss fight was really cool!

@RichHopefulComposer Your shrine stage was confusing and I beat it by skipping all but the last pipe!
lolll. That was my nine year old nephew's, not mine. I don't know what the hell he made, but I hope it wasn't better than my "Great Oak" stage, or I'm in trouble. X'D

@RangerX: Ah, yeah. I'll play yours when I get home today. Sorry, I've been meaning to, just no energy the last few days. :x

Edit: played Ranger's level. Had fun with it. Some good exploring with a cool boss fight. Also liked the brick blocks used to make the cave look like it was full of chunky gemstones. I'm gonna steal that, hahah. Good stuff! =D

I missed a red coin, but it just lets you skip the boss fight, right? Also a neat idea!

Last edited:
Also, @Siolfor the Jackal, did you go *under* the tree at least once, I hope? I fixed the level right after I uploaded so that your record is IMPOSSIBLE, but dumb Mario Maker won't let me reupload. :p

The caves are where the actual platforming is! ):

Edit:
Oh, it let me reupload Great Oak afterall.
X8X-X54-0VG. NO CHEATERS VERSION. :p :p

Also, is there no way to see our times on our own levels? You got me curious about how fast I can actually beat it rushing through, now...

Last edited:
@RichHopefulComposer Haha yeah I beat it properly first. Then i cheesed it after for fun. :p
Alright, that's fine then. X'D

Also, I'm impressed with the GMC so far. These levels are good.

Just noticed that RangerX mentioned the alternative goal for his level too, so I guess I'll go back and hunt for the last red coin later. Can we subscribe to users so I can just have your guys' new levels pop into my feed? Playing stuff from people I know fills my heart with PURE JOY for some reason. O':

I enjoyed the aesthetics of that level quite a bit. The falling leaves were a really nice touch.
The underground bit had a couple of frustrating moments though... but I forgive you! It was still pretty good.

So I've been playing stages from all sorts of people I know and mostly some pretty interesting stages. But I got to know, why do so many people want to make such high precision and high difficulty stages? I think everyone needs to relax a little :p

RangerX

Alright, that's fine then. X'D

Also, I'm impressed with the GMC so far. These levels are good.

Just noticed that RangerX mentioned the alternative goal for his level too, so I guess I'll go back and hunt for the last red coin later. Can we subscribe to users so I can just have your guys' new levels pop into my feed? Playing stuff from people I know fills my heart with PURE JOY for some reason. O':
You can (and should) heart the player himself when you go to his page. Look top right the screen. I hearted you all already :p
Your hearted creators have a category if I remember right in the search for levels.
As for the alternate goals, I write them in the description of the level. For "Clear the Way" you can:

- Skip the boss (5 red coins)
- Find 3 Big coins (harder than you might expect!)

I enjoyed the aesthetics of that level quite a bit. The falling leaves were a really nice touch.
The underground bit had a couple of frustrating moments though... but I forgive you! It was still pretty good.

So I've been playing stages from all sorts of people I know and mostly some pretty interesting stages. But I got to know, why do so many people want to make such high precision and high difficulty stages? I think everyone needs to relax a little :p
This!! Thiss.
Jesus Christ most levels I play from strangers outside of some communities of mine like here are just hellish difficulty Kaizo levels --- no fun.

Thank you! Aesthetics first, because I'm an art nerd. I thought "lets make a level where you go under a tree set piece" and worked from there. X'D
Can I ask which moments specifically? I have one or two spots where I thought "this is going to be a little bull💩💩💩💩 unless you're really familiar with Mario 3," but I made the level for that kind of player. I'm curious if the spots I predicted would be "problem spots" were snags for you, or if it was spots I didn't think would cause trouble.
Okay, time for a long form stream-of-consciousness rant on Mario Maker design philosophy.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I've been playing Mario since I was like two now, so basically every Mario game besides 3 is a joke for me, and I wish they'd be harder. I actually just bought my little bro a Famicom and the JAPANESE version of Mario 3 for us to play through this Summer, because 3 is our favorite out of the 2D games (it's the hardest, and it's so full of cool stuff!), and the JP version of 3 is harder than the American version. So when I make levels, I'm basically making them for me and my little brother and other Mario enthusiasts (like you, I'm sure. I know the level didn't give you that much trouble, even in the hardest parts. I know you're a huge gamer, hahah. Probably a lot of the rest of the GMC, too). I did a lot of testing, so obviously my level is easier for myself than for anyone else, but I beat my level *on the first try* after I finished making it. I was horrified at how easy it was after spending all that work fine tuning it, and had to fight myself to keep from adding more enemies and steeper jumps. Can you believe the checkpoints were the last things added, too? I thought they were complete bull💩💩💩💩, and it killed me to add them, but I knew they had to be added if I wanted most people to finish the level, because there's a huge problem Mario Maker levels come packaged with that normal Mario levels don't:

The main problem with doing hard levels in Mario Maker (even just pretty hard levels, like mine) is that unlike in a normal Mario game, there's no sense of progression. In a normal Mario game, if you die five times on a stage, you're like "💩💩💩💩, this SUCKS, lol!" But you also want to keep going, because you're not just playing a Mario level. You're playing a Mario game, and you want to see what's NEXT - you just saw GIANT world a few stages ago; what kind of crazy treat is the game going to give you next??? With Mario Maker levels, we designers don't have that draw to keep players retrying over and over again, and sticky parts in a level become frustrating way faster - without anything to look forward to after the level is finished, why would you keep on playing a level that's frustrating you?

So when you're making a Mario Maker level you want to be popular, it needs to be some collection of these:
-Has a novel gimmick. Self playing levels, joke levels, and the infamously popular musical level all do well
-Short and easy enough to pass in one or two goes in under a few minutes
-Extremely, stupidly difficult so that masochists and youtube streamers flock to it. Super kaizo-hard stages also kind of take on the role of "worlds" all within themselves with checkpoints. When the level is impossible but you get to a checkpoint, you really want to keep going if you're that kind of person. Most other sorts of levels aren't like that. This is probably why you see a lot of ultra-difficult stages. Without worlds to slowly ramp up the difficulty, these sorts of levels are kind of the closest we get to filling that function?

So....hard (but not ridiculous) levels have no real place in Mario Maker, yeah. I was really hoping MM2 would allow us to bundle up levels into eight stage worlds or whatever, complete with gameovers and one-ups. That would've gone a huge way to making difficult levels more fun and engaging. You could ramp up the difficulty over eight levels and let players actually feel like they're progressing, instead of just feeling like they're grinding out a difficult level for no reason. Unfortunately, that didn't happen, so now when difficult levels are made, people ask "why are you making difficult levels?" The answer for me, I guess, is because I like making difficult (non-kaizo) levels, even though I fully realize that Mario Maker is a horrible medium for them, unless the person playing them is already invested in your level for whatever reason.

Which is why this thread is great. We can all torture each other with difficult, hopefully well designed levels the general public would get pissed off at and quit after a few deaths!! :'D

That said, I enjoyed your easier level too, @Siolfor the Jackal. I think I'm gonna do a "world" of levels even though MM doesn't facilitate it and post them here. I'll start with some easier ones first, since they're fun to make and play, too.

Edit: @RangerX ninja'd me. I'll heart all you guys later, and poke around that level some more. I think I only got the first large coin right at the beginning, but I liked that little puzzle. =D

Last edited:

RangerX

I think a very traditional approach is way good enough in order to make your level appealing. In my opinion, the same principles makes your game or level appealing, its just that its hard for most people to design anything good so they rely on gimmicks. Design is NOT for everyone. Its not because someone created something that its cool. Its the utopia of a game like Super Mario Maker. Its possible and impossible to be good at the same time. People learn to poop at a certain angle so it stinks less. That's all there is to it.

I think a level should be approachable share a walkthrough that is doable for most people. Then exploration doesn't need to be easy. Extra challenges doesn't need to be easy. Pro players will do all the stuff, casuals will just wade through. That's our target in my opinion. And Nintendo is an undisputed champion at that. Even with true Mario games. You can totally wade through Super Mario Bros U and see the ending credits pretty easily. But there's also alot of stuff you can do if you a pro player. Getting everything is satisfying to us veteran. This is where the noob and the old coot play the same game. And just DARE playing the whole game with 4 players. Just dare. Its the hardest Mario you'll ever play.

@RichHopefulComposer So the one part that bugged me in your stage was there is a jump right before the checkpoint underground where a spiny will drop on you before you are able to see he is there. There is no way to know he is there before you jump. My first attempt I still had a power up and wasn't expecting it and bounced off it into the pit instead of landing on the platform I was aiming for. That was it really now that I think about it.
Overall I didn't find your stages difficult, only had a problem with that one part.

So with that said my comment about difficulty wasn't directed at you haha. I played through a bunch of stages last night before I went to bed, and so many(especially from this one guy I know) were just annoying enough to not be interesting. One thing I've learnt from game jams is that whatever I make is usually harder than I realise. Any time I've been worried my game was too easy and cranked up the difficulty, I've gotten people telling me it's way too hard or even impossible... so I apply that to my MM stages too.

I also love the Super Mario games, and have probably been playing them just as long. I was the only kid in my primary school who had beaten SMB1 and I thought that was heaps braggable but turned out to make more people think I was a loser ^^'
SMB3 was my favourite for so long too, I just loved the power ups and suits, the music, and the world variety. I beat it so many times just because for ages I had nothing else to play.

Mario Maker really screwed up by not letting you create Worlds or whatever. I miss the progression of levels generally found in Mario stages. Maybe I'll do what I did on the first MM and make my own quartets of stages.
I've only made the one stage so far and it was super easy just because I wanted to make something quickly on the day it released, and I didn't realise I had all the tools unlocked this time(First MM made you unlock things...)

Tried some online versus today, the lag was brutal. Either massive slowdown or input lag. Quite annoying.
A handful of matches were playable enough, and I did enjoy fighting other players. I bumped one guy upwards into a cheep-cheep and that was satisfying(especially since earlier he waited for me so he could red shell me).

I might consider making some multiplayer focused stages, working on a stage now that might make a good co-op stage.

RangerX

New levels biches :)

This one is not as tight as my first level in the swamp parts. The swamp is more an exploration thing, almost laid back. The Sky parts are optional but more puzzle oriented. Definetely more tight.
Try to do everything. Maybe not in one go. Time can be a little tight but if you feel you can do it -- I can tell you its perfectly doable!

:) Enjoy

Oh awesome! Here, my maker ID is 0P9-N5M-2TG.
I've made two levels, an easy traditional level, and a slightly harder level that is randomly generated. Definitely try out the second one, I've extremely proud of it.

I'll play a few that have been shared so far and leave comments with feedback if I have any. (My name is TMVillager).

What do you mean by randomly generated? You can't do that for real in SMM2 so you must means something else
It's not like a proper roguelike or anything. I mean that it chooses between several different layouts. Each time you play it will be a little different.

Mercerenies

What do you mean by randomly generated? You can't do that for real in SMM2 so you must means something else
I haven't experimented with it in SMM2, but at the very least in SMM1 there were clever things you could do to very inefficiently generate random numbers. One setup I recall involved a hammer bro and a note block. Another involved magikoopa attacks.

S

sofaspartan

Here's my maker ID: 89F-BMN-RMF
Here are the levels I've created so far:

Up The Vines: S7W-P8X-9MF
This is a vertical level in which you must climb vines while avoiding enemies.

Cloud Quest: HCM-MBX-WHF
This stage focuses on exploration and collecting pink coins.

Deep Deep Down: FJJ-2RH-W4G
In this stage, you must swim to the very bottom of a trench.

Pipe Place: WP1-YXD-SRG
A relatively traditional Mario level with secret pipes to discover.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaGicBush

I've been playing it alot since it released. My friend and I have made quite a few courses(including an auto-Mario level, and puzzle courses).

Maker Id: Y64-1YD-Y1G

A very fun game! I will go through and check out your guys levels in the next few days for sure.