• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Music Distortion

C

charat chan

It pains me that my first post is one asking for help. I am very hands on and have tried many things to fix this to no avail.

Any music I try to play is highly distorted and sounds like it is "pixelated" and loud. I have used preformated sound files downloaded right from the yoyo marketplace and they distort as well.

.wav and .mp3 alike do this. I have tried changing the sample and bit rate (no change).

Any suggestions?

Edit: 3 days and no reply. I can't be that unlikable.

Let me narrow it to a single question: Do most of you use the built in sound features or do you run your sound files with a 3rd party program?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Drewster

It pains me that my first post is one asking for help. I am very hands on and have tried many things to fix this to no avail.

Any music I try to play is highly distorted and sounds like it is "pixelated" and loud. I have used preformated sound files downloaded right from the yoyo marketplace and they distort as well.

.wav and .mp3 alike do this. I have tried changing the sample and bit rate (no change).

Any suggestions?

Edit: 3 days and no reply. I can't be that unlikable.

Let me narrow it to a single question: Do most of you use the built in sound features or do you run your sound files with a 3rd party program?
Perhaps posting a dropbox link to some samples -- like a sample of the original audio file plus a sample of audio captured from your game?

Everyone -- or at least nearly everyone -- uses the built-in sound stuff. It generally works well.

Are you playing music or sound effects?

If I were to take a wild guess, I would guess you are playing a sound repeatedly -- perhaps creating it many steps in a row when a specific condition is true. This can cause a very distorted sound.

For example, if you made a beep sound on keyboard event instead of keypress event, you will be activating a new copy of the sound every step while the key is being held down. Another possibility is in a collision -- the collision event fires for each frame where the collision is occurring. So, if you play an explosion sound upon collision, but do not take steps to make sure you do it only once -- such as by checking to see if it is already playing, keeping a "playing" flag, or perhaps destroying the instance, you'll get the same situation.

Lastly, if you're posting a question for help and are getting no responses, it's usually because you haven't included enough information. When in doubt post samples of what you are talking about, and/or code snippets if they might be relevant.

Z

zendraw

i get distorted sounds when i import them in the project as assets. not all of them but those that are are like bit crushed or somthing.

WillB777

The transition stops the music playing and goes to the next. Then the songs keep getting more and more distorted, and I hate it with all my passion, and I would be the happiest game designer alive to get rid of this pesky problem.