Team Request Ruins of Camelot Team looking for one more Networking Programmer

G

GMB76

I'm looking for a group of people that would like to work with me on an mmorpg that I've been working on for a while. At this point the game is pretty large but I really need another pixel artist to help with the amount of work ahead, as well as a programmer/programmers to tie it all together, and really anyone who's willing to lend a hand.

The game will be an open world, pixel art, 2.5d, sword and sorcery mmorpg. I don't want to talk to much about the game here but if this sounds like something you'd be interested in give me a shout and I'll give you more details. I'll post a moc pic to give you an idea about how the game will look.

As for what I have done so far:
- players animations (male and female) 8 directional
- 20+ unique mobs (over 60 if you include variants) 8 directional
- hundreds of weapons/gear, plus their animations
- 20+ zones well on their way (not completed)
- math for leveling worked out

Things that need work:
- programming: game mechanics
- programming: networking and servers (multiplayer)
- pixel art: some mobs and items to be finished or worked on
- map making: designing/redesigning/or altering zones
- story writing: writer/editor to help with story flow/quests
- sounds: in need of classic mmo type music and sounds

I'm honestly new to doing anything like this and will take all the help I can get. Whether you want to help with just creating the text for the storyline or feel like coding a massively complex mmorpg I could use your help. With that said, this is not a paid project at the moment, but anyone who contributes to it's creation will have free access to the game (I plan on the game being free to play, but paid members get an xp bonus, access to special realms/events, chance to get one of a kind in game items, etc).

Attachments

A

Atra

What i could deliver would be music, but music is the last thing you need with all thats missing. Its your first project right? You think an MMO is the best place to start, even with sprites? Not to be a downer but MMO are the hardest genre to do.

Anyway, for music i would need a theme and style to give you something. How the game is played, what mood ist is. Silly or a bit more serious. Do you want old PC or Console sounds or newer samples. I would need to know that if you get a few more people going on your project :)

pixeltroid

You seem to have a rather ambitious project, OP.

I think it might be a good idea to share some more screens so any potential team-mates browsing this section might be excited about your project enough to work with you on it.

That said, good luck on your game. :)

Z

zendraw

isnt this a meme? hey im new to game dev and i have this idea for the best MMO.

Reactions: Rob
B

Bountywolf

I'm making an mmo for my first game it will be amazing next WOW, I only need help on about everything.

pixeltroid

To be fair, OP has done quite a lot:

As for what I have done so far:
- players animations (male and female) 8 directional
- 20+ unique mobs (over 60 if you include variants) 8 directional
- hundreds of weapons/gear, plus their animations
- 20+ zones well on their way (not completed)
- math for leveling worked out
:)

G

GMB76

Yeah this game is no small thing, haters will be haters though lol.

Aren't you hiring an artist? Why can't you do that yourself?

Z

zendraw

Yeah this game is no small thing, haters will be haters though lol.

Aren't you hiring an artist? Why can't you do that yourself?
people that wuld help you like that wuld be generally your friends, im yet to see randoms to join up in such a team for a long project and it getting thru with it. unless its a jam game. yunger people tend to work from emotions and when its gone its over, older people tend to work for profit or on theyr ambition.

its not impossible to make a team like this but when people have 0 relation in it, its near impossible unless you pay them.

G

GMB76

people that wuld help you like that wuld be generally your friends, im yet to see randoms to join up in such a team for a long project and it getting thru with it. unless its a jam game. yunger people tend to work from emotions and when its gone its over, older people tend to work for profit or on theyr ambition.

its not impossible to make a team like this but when people have 0 relation in it, its near impossible unless you pay them.
Yeah I came here to recruit people who have an sincere interest, not to get critiqued by someone who hasn't even seen how much work has been put into this so far. I kind of agree with what you're saying, that most people won't contribute if I'm not paying them, but some people are just looking for experience and recognition too.

On the other hand, if I hire someone for cash, their only motivation is money, and they won't care if they game runs like 💩💩💩💩 as long as they get paid. You kinda lose either way.

Z

zendraw

Yeah I came here to recruit people who have an sincere interest, not to get critiqued by someone who hasn't even seen how much work has been put into this so far. I kind of agree with what you're saying, that most people won't contribute if I'm not paying them, but some people are just looking for experience and recognition too.

On the other hand, if I hire someone for cash, their only motivation is money, and they won't care if they game runs like **** as long as they get paid. You kinda lose either way.
people who do paid work tend to have the skills they sell and you can be sure they will deliver a well working game, and i dont think they wuld lack the passion either, being a paid programmer with GML isnt somthing you can live out of, in most cases. just sincere intrest wont get your project far unless its someone whos a worker which is rare.

pixeltroid

On the other hand, if I hire someone for cash, their only motivation is money, and they won't care if they game runs like **** as long as they get paid. You kinda lose either way.
I know you've done a lot of work, some very good pixel art, in fact.

But its not true that hired artists/programmers are only motivated by cash. They too would be looking for experience and recognition, and to add to their professional portfolio. Since their names and reputations are on the line, and since they are running a REAL business, they would be driven to do better work. And the fact that you are paying them would pressure them to stay on the job, or at least be more disciplined and professional.

On the other hand, anybody who works for you for free, and that too on such a large scale project, can leave the moment they get a paid job or lose interest in your project. Since they are doing free work, they aren't obliged to stick around, and can easily walk out without fear of repercussion. If that happens you'll be left with a pile of unfinished work, as well as the burden of finding another artist/coder who will match the style of the previous guys.

I'm speaking from experience -- as someone who had to deal with a "free" programmer who bailed out on me after I enthusiastically started creating art assets to pass on to him....and as someone who was enlisted as a "free" artist but had to quit midway because other priorities came up.

Last edited:
G

GMB76

Two have joined the team, and one more possible recruit.

First I'd like to say thanks to pixeltroid for complementing my pixel art, I've put a lot of work into it. I understand what your saying about paid versus unpaid, but I'm not making any money either, and just to launch the game will have unavoidable costs that I'll have to end up covering, if it became the next WoW I'd be surprised and share the loot...but that is highly unlikely.

Kinda like i said before, the game would likely be free to play anyhow with only an optional paid membership. If it could earn enough to run it's own servers I'd be happy

D

Deleted member 16767

Well, if you are ready to handle the revenue split and send the money each month to every member, that's fine imo. But I just hope it won't go down like it did with Kingdom Loot. The artist contacted a lawyer to demand his share of the revenue, even though the game seemed to no longer make profit and no longer get updates.

Anyway, on topic:

This is a great way to get experience. Some leave with assets that they worked on the game for, and start an entirely new project with the asset they themselves have done, if the project somehow gets cancelled. But I wouldn't want to work on a mmo, since it's a project that is a very long term and people need to be comitted to it for many years.

G

GMB76

Update: The team currently has myself, 2 programmers, 1 music and sound designers, and myself (art/animation). Still looking for more members!

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GMB76

The Ruins of Camelot team has filled out quite well, but we're in need of one more team member who's familiar with networking for multiplayer games. We do have other's who can help with coding the server/client but could really use a lead networking programmer to focus on that aspect of the project. Feel free to give me a shout if you're interested!