• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX 'Unable to find game!!" error message

D

dannyjenn

I'm having the same problem as was brought up in this other thread in the Legacy version forum:
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...-compiling-uploading-and-redownloading.26675/

I'm on Mac...

IDE Version: 2.2.1.375
Current Runtime: 2.2.1.287

I export my game to *.app. Everything works fine... the *.app runs on my computer without a problem. I compress (*.zip) the game and upload it to Google Drive. I then re-download, unzip it, and try to run it, and I get an error message "Unable to find game!!"

This isn't too big of a deal since (as was pointed out in the other thread) if you put the game into a *.dmg rather than a *.zip then it won't have this problem.

Still, I'm wondering whether YoYo Games has any plans on fixing this problem, or whether there is any way that I could prevent the *.app from getting messed up when I zip it.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Moving the app out of the Downloads folder after extraction fixes it for me.

PS how to make a DMG file?

Pawel

I have the same issue.
Samuel method works but it is not ideal solution when I have to explain every customer what they should do.

I have tried dmg solution but it does't work for me...

Have anyone found a permanent solution? YoYo Games?

rIKmAN

I tried that but it didn't work, still gives me the same error. Are yoyo games ever going to fix this error? It's been going for pretty much years now. I've seen other forums that have had the same error since GM 1.4
Have you tried cleaning the cache since making the name change?
Have you also tried resaving your project via File > Save As to remove spaces and any none standard characters from the project name?

If it still doesn't work use Help > Report a Bug in the IDE and follow the steps, attaching a small project that shows the error if possible.

I tried that but it didn't work, still gives me the same error. Are yoyo games ever going to fix this error? It's been going for pretty much years now. I've seen other forums that have had the same error since GM 1.4
It's usually not an error. As soon as you download something, Mac Gatekeeper flags it as quarantined if it hasn't been code signed, preventing it from being run accidentally as a security feature. This is not Yoyo's responsibility in this case.

W

wazawoo

Hello all. I can't believe this is actually an issue (GameMaker 2, 2020). It is incredibly stupid that it hasn't been fixed. I'm replying to all the duplicate posts with two actual solutions (rather than just saying "the dmg method" as all the posts do).

Option 1. Once you unzip the file on the mac you downloaded it on, if you then move the app to a different folder, it will open (you can also then move it back to the original folder and it will work too).
Option 2. If you take the app, and create a .dmg instead of a .zip from it, it will work. You do this by doing the following:
a. Generate the executable in GameMaker, which makes a .zip
b. Extract the .zip to get the app
c. Place the app in a folder by itself (unless you want to include other files/documentation)
d. Open Disk Utility, and do File -> New Image -> New Image From Folder (or cmd+shift+N), and choose that folder
e. Distribute the generated .dmg instead of the .zip generated by GameMaker

And I have a solution for YoYo: If this has literally been an issue for YEARS and YEARS, why not just make the generate executable option generate a dmg instead of a zip?

Ridiculous...

knightshaft

The original version of this thread was 2017. It's now 2024 and it's still an issue!

I've taken all the spaces out of the name
Used .dmg instead of .zip
STILL won't run if left in it's original folder!