• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Is this normal? Project is 23 megabytes and APK is 74 megabytes?

G

I added sounds to my project, which increased the project size to 23 megabytes (measured by selecting all files and folders except .git in the project directory). However, when I build an APK for Armv7 and Arm64, the APK size is 74 megabytes. I'm not using any non-script extensions.

I've tested this with a second project that was 16 megabytes without sounds. I added the same sounds used in the first project, which increased its size to 23 megabytes, and then built it, and it was also 74 megabytes.

Is there any way to avoid this bloat?

Last edited by a moderator:
Uncompressed sound file can cause the bloat. I experienced same issue before, and Nocturne pointed that as culprit, changing it to compressed will reduce its size significantly. The other possibility being extensions and your choice of architecture built - the more options you add, the larger the size will become.

G

Thank you for the answer!

I thought it was best practice to leave .wav files (for sound effects) uncompressed and only compress the music files. I guess mobile is different because of the file size concerns?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Also check what architectures you are building for. If you have more than one, then the APK will be bigger. As for sounds, normally uncompressed for SFX and compressed (streamed) for music is the way to go, but you can compress the SFX on mobile (use the "Uncompress on Load" option) and get a smaller package size too.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Thank you for the answer!

I thought it was best practice to leave .wav files (for sound effects) uncompressed and only compress the music files. I guess mobile is different because of the file size concerns?
If memory serves, there is a compressed option that decompresses on game load. That is what you want to use for SFX.
For bgm streamed compressed is what you want.

G

That did the trick. There was also *deep sigh* user error in that I forgot to re-set compressed-streaming on my music after I normalized the volume and re-imported the files. After I set music back to compressed-streaming and set the sound effects to uncompress-on-load, the APK is back to 13 megabytes.