• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM How useful is GM:S 1.4 ?

N

NeZvers

I have licenses for desktops, html5, Android, iOS. Can I still publish to them?
I've upgraded to GM:S 2 but that doesn't carry over licenses and got me down. I now feel more confident about developing and have solid ideas for real publishable games and that's where I start to worry about 1.4 exports.

I know Windows and html5 are still working.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
These exports will continue to work properly until a third party that is involved with the process changes something that invalidates the way the export modules work, such as the impending changes to Google Play that will disallow 32-bit apps and therefore break the 1.4 Android export. So, for now, they might still work, but I wouldn't count on it, as once the bomb drops, nothing can be done to prevent it from going off. GMS 2 is the way to go forward.

curato

Worst case, if you have to convert to GMS2, I haven't seen any real issue with converting my projects. They all seem to work right away.

N

NeZvers

I have no problem with converting to GM:S2 or working in it. I actually love workflow in GM:S2.

L

Lonewolff

I'd add that the desktop export will probably keep working fine for a long time.
Agreed.

Windows export will work forever, unless MS does something extremely stupid that breaks most games out there (GM made or not).

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
These exports will continue to work properly until a third party that is involved with the process changes something that invalidates the way the export modules work, such as the impending changes to Google Play that will disallow 32-bit apps and therefore break the 1.4 Android export. So, for now, they might still work, but I wouldn't count on it, as once the bomb drops, nothing can be done to prevent it from going off. GMS 2 is the way to go forward.
Agreed.

Windows export will work forever, unless MS does something extremely stupid that breaks most games out there (GM made or not).
Lots of companies, operating systems, and software are phasing out X32 bit support, soo better use it before 2023

L

Lonewolff

Lots of companies, operating systems, and software are phasing out X32 bit support, soo better use it before 2023
Yes, this is true.

But, I can't see Microsoft suddenly saying 'we are now blocking 32 bit programs for Windows 7 through to Windows 10'.

Apple though, they are a different breed. Wouldn't surprise me with anything they do.

At the most before the year 2038, um (ask your parents about the Y2K) (depending on your age) event then check out Y2K38
My parents didn't have a clue about the Y2K bug. They were 60 when that was a thing.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
But, I can't see Microsoft suddenly saying 'we are now blocking 32 bit programs for Windows 7 through to Windows 10'.
Windows 1X or whatever stupid name they call it did we even get windows 9?

EDIT:so microsoft isnt going to make a new windows version rather they will just keep updating windows 10 sooo Windows10x

My parents didn't have a clue about the Y2K bug. They were 60 when that was a thing.
I was born after it so I didnt know it was a thing until last year and im a huge computer nerd, never crossed my mind about the storage of time, figured it would all be emulated from a server that actually runs and stores the time like time.gov (meaning your computer would connect to time.gov to get the time, and the data center for time.gov would actually hold the memory and just be updated, but you see how they do updates)

Last edited:
L

Lonewolff

Windows 1X or whatever stupid name they call it did we even get windows 9?
There is historical reasons why they couldn't call it Windows 9.

Mainly due to windows version information. Older applications would check to see if the windows version was 9x (Windows 95 and 98). So you can see pretty quickly where things might go amiss when a pre-WinNT application queries the registry to see that it is running on Windows 9. It would see that it is running on the 'correct' operating system.

I was born after it so I didnt know it was a thing until last year and im a huge computer nerd, never crossed my mind about the storage of time, figured it would all be emulated from a server that actually runs and stores the time like time.gov (meaning your computer would connect to time.gov to get the time, and the data center for time.gov would actually hold the memory and just be updated, but you see how they do updates)
A lot of it was a BIOS thing. BIOS'es don't generally have the ability to see time servers. Not that it would make a difference, because the offending BIOS'es didn't store the century they we living in.

Even if the BIOS did talk to the time server, the BIOS would go and store 2019 as 1919. The other half of the millenium bug was poorly written applications that only stored the two least significant digits of the year, running into the same problem.