Is yoyo games sending out emails, or there spoofing going on?

L

Lord-Xanthor

Been sick so havent been in the forums since January 2019, and upon waking up, grabbed my phone to see an email saying it was yoyogames and to log in, or my forums account with links to my posts would get deleted. Lost count on how many fakes I ignore for other things, but this still sleepy clicked on and wierd thing was, got password error. That woke me up and ran to pc to use a saved link to go change my info just in case, but thing is, I dont see anything in faq and trying to message yoyo ganes itself to ask isn't easy as it once was. Are emails getting sent to log in and preserve accounts or this a spoof?

Yes you needed to log in. It's because of the new European privacy rules, they can't keep your data longer than 12 months. So no spoofing (or at least, the idea that the email was telling you was valid, whether people are sending out fake emails with the same details I don't know).

N

Noman

What's odd is I got that e-mail 17 hours ago, and I was logged in (and actively talking to another user in PMs) within the last week. I'm pretty much commenting on this thread just to add activity to my forum stats (in case Private Message activity doesn't count.) Keep my data plez!

Dog Slobber

The email is legitimate:
  • The URL within the email is legitimate
  • Nocturne has commented on its legitimacy in another topic
  • The changes in EU privacy rules re-enforces actions.

Having said that, that email is completely inappropriate, given it provides a URL and encourages people to login. It is precisely the activity of providing a URL within an email and encouraging logging in which makes Phishing so prominent and successful.

Kind of ironic given various, authoritative YoYo employees have commented in the past, that the forum creditientials are as onerous as they are, because of how serious PlayTech is about security. It is especially important that YoYo Games be more aware of Phishing scams because some forum members are likely to have YoYoGames accounts with credentials similar to their forum accounts and linked financial information because they are also publishers.

Recognize, I have no problem with the email other than the included URL and login encouragement. In the future YoYo Games should not be including emails with Forum or YoYo Games URLs and encouraging loggin in. This practice needs to be de-normalized.

rIKmAN

The most surprising thing for me is how surprised and shocked people with less than 10 posts in 3yrs (less than 3 posts in some cases) are about getting emails regarding a lack of activity.

L

Lonewolff

The most surprising thing for me is how surprised and shocked people with less than 10 posts in 3yrs (less than 3 in some cases) are about getting emails regarding a lack of activity.
And they freak out because they are going to lose their account.

So, if the accounts get deleted what happens to their posts? Is it a requirement that they get deleted to?

L

Lonewolff

That guy really didn't want to lose his two posts (The second one being his rant).