Question - General [Looking for] Random tile room generator

• Thread starter Deleted member 16767
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16767

Is there something that automates a room however big your tileset is, and gets saved as png? Then you can put it to your rooms background.

GMWolf

aka fel666
How about something that fills the entire room with the first tile in the tileset?
You are going to need to be more specific...

D

Deleted member 16767

It's hard to explain, but I'll try.

384x384 walls, floors can be divided by 2 or the same as the walls. I don't need solid walls, all I need is the graphical component of the generator. So, for example, in this own independant interface, you upload the wall sprite, the wall roof sprite, and two or three different floor types, different decorations like statues, book cases, trees or whatever. Then it randomizes a level and you can download it as png, similiar to Pope´s independant color switcher tool that can also save to png, but this is for a room generator. Then the user can add this png to their background and add the solid walls themselves.

I like to think of it as different sections where each section has arrows for you to choose between the things you have uploaded.

Like 1) wall section 2) roof section 3) floor section 4) decoration section.

Here is an example of me doing it by hand:

Edit: Of course, I forgot to add a wall to the left roof part in this screenshot.

You can make one yes. I don't think the market has one available:

I have found it far more cost effective to make a .png of a single room than use the game's tilesets. You would just need to make it from surface_save or save_surface. Seen above isn't a single room, it's many stacked together. In your case, you would draw the tiles to surfaces and not what I did which was draw everything enemies and items included.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16767

I sent an e-mail to @Nocturne and asked him if it was doable to add in 384x384 walls to his random maze generator. He said that he would try to make it but I had to send him the wall. I haven't done it yet, though. But still, it would be great to have something that excells at the graphical component but not the solid one. Something that can save it as png and you can add it to your background and do whatever you want with the solid. Like hidden walls, for example.

GMWolf

aka fel666
I still don't get what you want to do:
Why do you want to save it out as a large PNG? Why not just place the tiles and assets in the room?

D

Deleted member 16767

I still don't get what you want to do:
Why do you want to save it out as a large PNG? Why not just place the tiles and assets in the room?
I want plenty of levels and to randomize them so that each run is not the same. Like if certain enemy types are in one specific level range (yes, counting loot as player level too) and tileset theme with a specific tile theme, it should look different every run.

And also I want them to look similiar to Nocturnes maze generator but bigger. Placing the tiles for a 30 000 x 30 000 map like I did in my other game was such a turn off, but I did it anyway. If you need a lot of levels with a lot of variety each run, this addon is great to have. You would just have to focus on adding the solid part.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Yeah, so just generate those at runtime.
No need to bake them into big, expensive images.

What is wrong with nocturnes dungeon generator? What do you mean by a 384x384 wall? Is that the resolution of your image? The size in pixels, size in tiles?

D

Deleted member 16767

Yeah, so just generate those at runtime.
No need to bake them into big, expensive images.

What is wrong with nocturnes dungeon generator? What do you mean by a 384x384 wall? Is that the resolution of your image? The size in pixels, size in tiles?
No, nothings wrong with it. I don't think I can add a 384x384 wall sprite to the wall object in his random dungeon generator. It just makes the walls take over the whole room, with no floor to walk on. It's a nice random dungeon generator for 32x32 sprites though.

Edit: However, some people might do that with his extension.

GMWolf

aka fel666
You mean to say your tiles are 384x384 ?
That's insanity!
Or do you mean you have a collection of tiles that should be places as a brush, and they take up 384x384

D

Deleted member 16767

You mean to say your tiles are 384x384 ?
That's insanity!
Or do you mean you have a collection of tiles that should be places as a brush, and they take up 384x384
Why is that? My playable character is 180 pixels tall. The floor is not 384x384.

GMWolf

aka fel666
If your monitor is 1080p, then your tile only fits in your view ~3 times... Is that how your game works?
If your tile repeats more than 3 times across the height of your monitor, then you are wasting a lot of resolution.

Either way, does nocturnes dungeon generator just place overlapping walls everywhere? Is there no parameterization to say what the size of a tile should be?

D

Deleted member 16767

With 1024x768, the view is fine imo. I can send you a screenshot with higher resolution.

GMWolf

aka fel666
With 1024x768, the view is fine imo. I can send you a screenshot with higher resolution.
What is your view in the room?
768? You can fit 2 x 384 tiles in that...
Is that what you have? Or are you zoomed out so you have more than two tiles on screen?

When you tile big images that doesn't seamlessly connect each other it doesn't look quite good. I'd just suggest keeping your view small and not "1024x768" so that you can fill the view and don't be have to draw big images for everything as you are not a professional artist (no offense, me either). Well that'd go the way that you'll need to re draw everything maybe but instead of getting overwhelmed with large image canvasses, you'll deal with small ones and you'll have what you need. Also you can create your own room generators with small images easier than 300x300+ images. I can suggest you some view resolutions too if you wish.

D

Deleted member 16767

When you tile big images that doesn't seamlessly connect each other it doesn't look quite good. I'd just suggest keeping your view small and not "1024x768" so that you can fill the view and don't be have to draw big images for everything as you are not a professional artist (no offense, me either). Well that'd go the way that you'll need to re draw everything maybe but instead of getting overwhelmed with large image canvasses, you'll deal with small ones and you'll have what you need. Also you can create your own room generators with small images easier than 300x300+ images. I can suggest you some view resolutions too if you wish.
The environment pixel art is from a professional pixel artist. But I resized the tileset from 256 to 1920. And then I painted over the big walls I had before. The animation for the character is also from a professional digital painting artist and animator. Just the running cycles though. The characters I made myself.

But I'm not here to talk about the artistic style in my game. The size yeah, but not how good or bad it looks.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Why did you resize it?
Keep it at the resolution it was, and adjust your view settings to fit.
This will help with performance, memory footprint, portability, export times, etc....
And of course, compatibility with things like dungeon generators ;)

D

Deleted member 16767

Why did you resize it?
This will help with performance, memory footprint, portability, export times, etc....
I liked the textures better bigger. The stones look a lot bigger too.

I can't resize the view for many reasons. I can't do it bigger, since my pixel character will look shredded. I can't do it smaller than that, since that will not make it like I want it.

Edit: Oh I see what you mean now.

D

Deleted member 16767

Why did you resize it?
Actually I tried changing the view but it doesn't work. Anyways, I'm patient. I'll just do the levels and try to give someone a job now and then to help with the level designing until I see that addon that I described above.

The environment pixel art is from a professional pixel artist. But I resized the tileset from 256 to 1920. And then I painted over the big walls I had before. The animation for the character is also from a professional digital painting artist and animator. Just the running cycles though. The characters I made myself.

But I'm not here to talk about the artistic style in my game. The size yeah, but not how good or bad it looks.
Then enlarging their size them made them look bad tbh or atleast for me. You could've just kept tiles smaller though, they wouldn't look bad imo