Design Level Design

curato

I was curious if anyone is using a good program that would be good for laying out concepts for levels. I am trying to find a better way to visualize the level I am trying to create than laying it out on graph paper or something to make sure the pieces and part would work together.

pixeltroid

You can use any vector software to lay out blocks representing tiles, doors and other in-game objects.

But then again you could do exactly the same thing on the GM room editor, and also immediately test out the level. :D

For coming up with ideas for level layouts, nothing beats the old fashioned pen and paper method.

IMG_20190704_004922_HHT.jpg

You don't even need to be an artist.
That way, I can take a break from looking at Gamemaker, play some music and focus purely on layout.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I agree on using paper, you strain your eyes if you stare into a screen for too long so it's nice to have an excuse to look away and rest your eyes every once in a while. Paper doodling also usually is faster than a graphics program unless you have a graphics tablet.

Cpaz

I have a small handheld notebook that I've been using for jotting ideas and level layouts down onto. Since as of late I've been doing a lot of moving around thanks to school and familial matters, it's nice to have a pad of paper a just whip out and just go ham with.

I really should share some examples later downcthe line. They're a mess, but it's my mess :D

SoVes

Hmm I did have a handy editor that you can just use to design stuff. I just need to add it so you can draw on it aswell