Legacy GM Room size is too big to assign memory

G

Geniusbat

I have been trying to work with a big room (10000x10000), everytime I control+left click a tile a message appears "room size is too big to assign memory, returning to default room size". I suspect that the problem comes from the Game Maker engine itself, that can´t handle big enough rooms. Is there a way to bypass this?
My computer is a really decent one, that can run GTA V at 60 fps high quality, so I really doubt GMS doesn´t have enough resources.

B

Bayesian

My understanding is that room size doesn't matter at all. The room is just an plane, the only thing using resources are the code and graphics. I've been working with 20k rooms in 2.x and haven't had any issues. 1.4 should be fine too. Make sure you've actually set up a view or camera as trying to open a 10k window prob shouldn't work.

edit: One thing that helps with room to resolution issues is setting up a starting room that is the either the correct widow size or has a view port set up. That way the game launches correctly and then you can change to huge rooms.

MilesThatch

Yeah, that's something you shoud be aware of. If you don't set up a camera / view (depending if you're in Studio 2 or 1.4) then the game will attempt to display the entire 10k by 10k room all at once. Also you don't necessarily have to create a large room there are ways around it since you have the option to basically view stuff outside of the room, you have the potential of creating infinite worlds that procedurally generate as you go.