• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Released Heavy Sky (iOS, Android)

K

Krbld

Hi, everyone!

Heavy Sky is a mobile game with minimalistic graphics, inspired by old-school shoot-em ups. Fight your enemies in two game modes, earn coins and buy upgrades for your aircraft, support drones and power ups.

Main features:
- Gamemodes: coin hunt and endless mode with 3 difficulty levels.
- A good variety of enemies and bosses to fight against.
- Upgrades that improve your aircraft and support drones. You can upgrade the power ups you get in endless mode.
- Unique graphics, soundtrack and sound effects.

Game Modes:
- Coin Hunt is a game mode with a set of levels for you to complete. You gain coins after a level completion.
- Endless Mode includes 3 difficulty levels that affects the number of enemies and their health.
- Enemy health and speed depends on the time you spent in Endless mode level.
- You kill enemies, gain coins, spend coins for upgrades.

Powerups:
- In Endless Mode you gain access to three types of powerups.
- Temporary attack speed powerup that randomly changes the type of your aicraft to one of three crafts. It also gives you temporary and permanent boost of attack speed, so you can last longer in Endless mode.
- Support drone powerup send additional drones that fight on your side.
- Shield powerup gives you invulnerability and ability to ram enemies.

Upgrades:
- You can spend coins for upgrading your aircraft, support drones and powerups.
- Aircraft upgrades and support drones upgrades improve you attack speed.
- Powerup upgrades improve the duration of powerups that you obtain in Endless mode. Drone powerup lvl 3 also gives you and additional support drone from a special powerup.

Aircraft:
- There are 3 types of planes that you can use.
- Regular plane shoots the straight line of bullets. It excels against single target.
- A plane with spread gun shoots a huge number of projectiles, but the accuracy is low. It gets good benefits from upgrades.
- The third plane got a slug shots, that penetrate enemies. In addition to that it shoots a machinegun with autoaim. This one is pretty strong, but any plane need support drones to fight on the highest difficulty level.

Support Drones:
- There are 2 types of support drones - a missile drone and a drone with a burst shot weapon.
- You get a random permanent drone at a start of every round.
- In endless mode there is a pickup that provides you with additional temporary drones.
- If you upgrade the Support Drone pickup to level 3 - an additional temporary drone will come to help you.
- Missile drone shoots shrapnele missiles in small targets and regular guided missiles in big targets and bosses.
- The burst shot drone depends on attack speed upgrade a lot.

Other stuff:

- There are 4 music tracks that i'll upload to bandcamp soon.
- The background gradient changes randomly when you go to another room or menu.
- Also the gradiens changes after you defeat a boss.

Download:
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/heavy-sky/id1468641091
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.krbld.heavysky

Toque

Ok. Downloading iOS. Well you should see one sale from Canada.

So congrats on your release. Its a nice little shooter game.

Its ok. It runs fine on my 6S.

Graphics are okay. I wish the controls were better. Amplify (multiply) the movement of my finger to player a bit more. Maybe 1.4 X or so. I have to lift my finger at times wich interferes with the flow and i pretty much die. I have not made a Mobile game with GM yet so cant help with the finger controls.

Music is okay. Game gets busy fast. I find it difficult to get separation of things. The side fighters get blurred with the player and action. Hard to identify whats Good, Bad,coins, bullets. Too many coins. Fills the screen.

Its a fun little game.

Last edited:
K

Krbld

Ok. Downloading iOS. Well you should see one sale from Canada.

So congrats on your release. Its a nice little shooter game.

Its ok. It runs fine on my 6S.

Graphics are okay. I wish the controls were better. Amplify (multiply) the movement of my finger to player a bit more. Maybe 1.4 X or so. I have to lift my finger at times wich interferes with the flow and i pretty much die. I have not made a Mobile game with GM yet so cant help with the finger controls.

Music is okay. Game gets busy fast. I find it difficult to get separation of things. The side fighters get blurred with the player and action. Hard to identify whats Good, Bad,coins, bullets. Too many coins. Fills the screen.

Its a fun little game.
Thanks for the review!

It will definetely help me in future projects. I tried to amplify the movement of the finger but all attempts actually failed. Gonna try some other way to code touch controls next time.

Appsurd

An Android game which is not free? I'm out..
No seriously, no game on Android charges you any money. Instead, they put a lot of advertisements into the game and possibly some In App Purchases..

K

Krbld

An Android game which is not free? I'm out..
No seriously, no game on Android charges you any money. Instead, they put a lot of advertisements into the game and possibly some In App Purchases..
I think that the idea of ads in a game is one of the reasons PC and console gamers think mobile gaming is a joke. Free games with ads can be good for publishers that use every possibility to monetize the game, but let's be honest - free games with ads are a pure cancer of gaming community.

Appsurd

To some extent, I agree. However, in my country (The Netherlands) I barely heard anyone who has ever bought a mobile game. Mobile gaming is not a joke, it's just different from PC gaming altogether. There are many examples of games who abuse advertisements, but you can be the outstanding Publisher who does things the right way. And the right way on mobile is Ads + In App Purchases. At least that's my view on the topic :)

K

Krbld

To some extent, I agree. However, in my country (The Netherlands) I barely heard anyone who has ever bought a mobile game. Mobile gaming is not a joke, it's just different from PC gaming altogether. There are many examples of games who abuse advertisements, but you can be the outstanding Publisher who does things the right way. And the right way on mobile is Ads + In App Purchases. At least that's my view on the topic :)
Well, In App Purchases is a really good way to monetize a free mobile game. The ads, on the other hand, have one huge drawback and this is the way they affect the user experience. People add so many adds this day that you have to watch them every minute and they really break the game apart. Some may say that people would buy the "add free" version after that, but I usually delete the game.

And In App Purchases are good, because they are a part of the game - the developer make them look good and stylish, so they don't act like horrible alien lifeform "Put that water in the Glass" game advertisment.

Maybe one day I'll develop a free game with In App Purchases - Heavy Sky is just not big enough to put good purchases there.

rIKmAN

Maybe one day I'll develop a free game with In App Purchases - Heavy Sky is just not big enough to put good purchases there.
When you say not big enough - how many levels does it have?
Nothing wrong with a free game giving x amount of levels for free and then a 1 time IAP to unlock the full game.

K

Krbld

When you say not big enough - how many levels does it have?
Nothing wrong with a free game giving x amount of levels for free and then a 1 time IAP to unlock the full game.
It's 15 levels + Endless Mode with 3 difficulties. Demo version seems to be a really good idea.