The GMC cookbook

GMWolf

aka fel666
The GMC cookbook
Eat, sleep make games, repeat...

Obviously the most important step there is making games, but making food is great fun too!

So here is a thread for us all to share our best recipes!
To help get us started, here is my favourite way to cook carrots:

Glazed Carrots
Beautifully fragrant, with a rich butter sauce.
For this recipe you will need:

• Carrots
  • Vegetable stock
  • Butter
Procedure
  1. Trim the carrot tops, but don't peel them. Cut any larger carrots I half lengthwise so that none are over 2cm thick.
  2. Place carrots at the bottom of a pan or casserole and cover with vegetable stock.
  3. Cover and bring to a low simmer. Cook for 30 minutes.
  4. Uncover and bring to a medium boil until the stock has almost completely reduced.
  5. When the stock only just coats the bottom of the pan, turn the heat to very low. Stir in butter slowly until a sauce that can coat the back of a spoon forms.
  6. Serve carrots with a bit of sauce drizzled over top. Perfect with steak!

20190620_100036.jpg

Let me know what you think! And share your favourite recipes!
I'll be back with a recipe for lasagna next!

pixeltroid

This is how I make chicken curry.

1. dump green chillis + ginger + garlic into a blender. Turn it into a paste.
2. Dump that paste into a pan and saute for a while in oil. add some finely chopped onions.
3. chop chicken into small pieces and dump into the pan and mix well. Add spices of your choice.
3. dump tomatoes into a blender and make puree.
5. dump that puree into the pan.
6. add some water to lighten the mix.
7. cover and let it simmer on low flame. Stir once in a while

A

Andy

This is how I make Hot Pockets TM of Nestle^ (the Nestle logo has a apostrophe over the e and I can't figure out how to do one, so I am using the ^ character on my keyboard).

1: Remove 1 Hot Pocket from the box of 2. USE ONLY ONE. That's the official serving size and eating 2 is unhealthy.
2: Remove plastic and place the Pocket within the official cardboard cooking device. Do not attempt to cook with tin-foil as this is harmful to the microwave.
3: Microwave the Pocket for the specified time the box says. Different Pocket flavors demand different times.
4: Remove the Pocket from the microwave and let it cool. If you are in a hurry you can mix the Hot Pocket in cold water to make a lukewarm paste that's quickly eatable.
5: Eat the pocket.

This is how to cook and serve a Hot Pocket.

Joe Ellis

Exotic noodles:
1. Boil "water"
2. Crush 2 packets of instant noodles and add to bowl
3. Add standard chicken flavour packets
4. Add generous sprinklings of chilli powder, ground cumin, turmeric, black pepper, a pinch of chinese 5 spice, a dash of soy sauce and a few drops of tabasco
5. Pour the water into bowl, just covering the noodles and stir well
6. Wait until most of the water has been absorbed
7. Eat

JackTurbo

One of my favourite simple and quick meals is

Anchovy spaghetti

Cook spaghetti a little al dente.

Crush a clove or two of garlic into a frying pan.

Open a can of anchovies in olive oil and pour the oil into the pan.

Cut the anchovies very finely and add them to the pan also.

Add some crushed chilli.

Fry lightly while the pasta is cooking.

Once pasta is cooked, drain and add to the pan and mix in while removing from heat. Once mixed plate immediately (not trying to fry the pasta here)

Grate some parmesan on top (real parmesan ideally).

Serve immediately.

GMWolf

aka fel666

Anchovy spaghetti

Add some crushed chilli.

Once pasta is cooked, drain and add to the pan and mix in while removing from heat. Once mixed plate immediately (not trying to fry the pasta here)

Serve immediately.
Hmmm i really like anchovies! I'm gonna have to try that recipe! Maybe tonight!

JackTurbo

Hmmm i really like anchovies! I'm gonna have to try that recipe! Maybe tonight!
I really love it, very much a staple for me.

I've not included any real measurements as it's mostly a "to taste" kinda deal. I'm a fan of both big flavours and big portions so I'd usually use one tin of anchovies and two cloves of garlic to one big portion of pasta (along with a generous amount of chilli).

Most would probably be happy with two normal portions of pasta to similar amounts of anchovies/garlic/chilli. But might want to add a little extra olive oil to avoid it being too dry. But then like I said, it's all very much a "to taste" kinda deal so a bit of experimenting is probably required to find your ideal.

GMWolf

aka fel666

Anchovy spaghetti

Add some crushed chilli.

Serve immediately.
20190620_180300.jpg

This was some really solid (if somewhat salty) pasta! Love it!
Thanks for sharing!

Can't wait to try more recipes from the GMC!

Last edited:

GMWolf

aka fel666
So as promised, here is my lasagna recipe.
Most measurements are extremely approximate since I change it up all the time.
20180121_194922.jpg
For this recipe you will need:
  • 500g of 20% fat ground beef
  • One large onion
  • 3 large carrots
  • 3 céleri stalks
  • 5 fresh tomatoes
  • 200g canned chopped tomatoes
  • Tomato puree
  • Mozzarella cheese
  • Parmesan cheese
  • Fresh basil
  • Milk
  • Flour
  • Butter
  • Lasagna sheets

Instructions:
  • For meat sauce
  1. Cut onions, carrots and celery into small pieces, roughly 5mm a side.
  2. Cook in a pan untill onions are translucent and carrots softened.
  3. Cook beef in a separate pan, untill browned. Combine vegetables and beef before adding both chopped and canned tomatoes.
  4. Add tomatoe puree.
  5. Cook untill well reduced.
  6. Add basil after cooking.
  7. Salt and pepper to taste.
  • For white sauce
  1. Melt butter in sauce pan.
  2. Add flour to form a thick roux. Let cook for small while untill raw flour flavour is gone.
  3. Stir in milk and keep whisking over medium heat untill think sauce forms.
  4. Add mozzarella cheese and parmesan and combine.
Add a layer a meat sauce, followed by a layer of pasta, meat sauce, white sauce, pasta, meat sauce, white sauce, pasta, etc.
Finish with a layer of white sauce and cheese.

Put in oven at 180°C for 40-45 minutes or untill knife easily pokes through pasta layers.

Enjoy!

Next time I'll share my apple pie recipe!
20190616_205716.jpg

H

Homunculus

Best thread ever! I don't have much to offer except this, because making pancakes is a form of art I perfected (well... at least I tried to)

GMC Fluffy pancakes

Ingredients (for ~6 pancakes)
  • Flour - 120g
  • Milk - 100g
  • Sugar - 25g
  • 1 generous teaspoon of baking powder (the instant kind, not dry yeast, since it requires different method)
  • 1 Egg
  • A pinch of salt
  • 2 knobs of butter (add more to taste, I tend to be on the "light" side)
  • (maple syrup, honey, or whatever you want to put on top)

Instructions

1. Add all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder) into a bowl
  2. Melt the butter in a pan and mix it with the milk. Make sure the milk is at room temperature, not right out of the fridge.
  3. Crack the egg in a separate bowl (optionally, separate the egg white from the yolk, for some reason adding them separately seems to make the pancakes fluffier)
  4. Add the buttery milk to the dry ingredients, lightly stir then add the egg and keep stirring. It is extremely important not to stir too much! You don't want to have a completely homogeneous mixture, just enough to let your ingredients meet. Having small lumps of flour is OK, those will create air pockets and make your pancakes fluffier
  5. The mixture should be thick but able to run slowly and nicely off the spoon / spatula. Let it set for 5 to 10 minutes.
  6. Clean the pan from the extra butter, but not completely, so that your pancakes do not stick. Heat the pan for a while at medium temp.
  7. Pour a bit of the mixture into the hot pan (all in the same spot, don't try to create a round shape, it comes natually) and cook
  8. When you see some small bubbles forming on top (~ 2 minutes), it's time to gently flip and cook the other side. This side requires a bit less time (~ 1 min). The top side should be a golden brown color.
Code:
while( !is_empty(bowl) ) {
     repeat_points_7_and_8();
}
IMG_D370480F67DD-1.jpeg

Bonus: once you get the hang of it, try adding small pieces of banana to the mixture for banana pancakes, they are heavenly!

Edit: sorry had to review the cooking times since i realized they were too short, i usually don’t time it and rely on the bubbles since it really depends on the heat

Last edited by a moderator:

GMWolf

aka fel666
Best thread ever! I don't have much to offer except this, because making pancakes is a form of art I perfected (well... at least I try)

GMC Fluffy pancakes

Ingredients (for ~6 pancakes)
  • Flour - 120g
  • Milk - 100g
  • Sugar - 25g
  • 1 generous teaspoon of baking powder (the instant kind, not dry yeast, since it requires different method)
  • 1 Egg
  • A pinch of salt
  • 2 knobs of butter

Instructions

1. Add all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder) into a bowl
  2. Melt the butter in a pan and mix it with the milk. Make sure the milk is at room temperature, not right out of the fridge.
  3. Crack the egg in a separate bowl (optionally, separate the egg white from the yolk, for some reason adding them separately seems to make the pancakes fluffier)
  4. Add the buttery milk to the dry ingredients, lightly stir then add the egg and keep stirring. It is extremely important not to stir too much! You don't want to have a homogeneous mixture, just enough to let your ingredients meet. Having small lumps of flour is OK, those will create air pockets and make your pancaked fluffier
  5. The mixture should be thick but able to run slowly and nicely off the spoon. Let it set for 5 to 10 minutes.
  6. Clean the pan from the extra butter, but not completely so that your pancakes do not stick to the pan. Heat the pan for a while at medium temp.
  7. Pour a bit of the mixture into the hot pan (all in the same spot, don't try to create a round shape, it comes natually) and cook
  8. When you see some small bubble forming on top (~ 1 minute), it's time to gently flip and cook the other side. This side requires a bit less time (~ 30 / 45 secs). The top side should be a golden brown color.
Code:
while( !is_empty(bowl) ) {
     repeat_points_7_and_8();
}
View attachment 25401
those look absolutely gorgeous! I've never had american style pancakes, Ill have to try out the recipe this weeked!

H

Homunculus

... Ill have to try out the recipe this weeked!
Let me know! I added a bonus at the end for banana pancakes (I discovered those in thailand, can't live without now).
By the way, can we force everyone to post the ingredients in json format? Seems... fitting.

Cameron

Those pancakes look bombay! Too bad I don't eat high glycemic load foods anymore or I would try those for sure.

Z

zendraw

Recipe: Sugar Baby
Ingredients: Rice, sugar
how to cook

-put rice in the thing,
-put shugar in the thing (based on taste but around 1 spoon for every 100g rice)
-mix them up well
-boil the rice so all water vanishes
-eat

Bluetail7

Super secret sandwich
  • Two toasted breads
  • Mayo
  • A piece of jam
  • Spinach
  • Mustard
  • Cheese
>Put them in that order, covering everything between two bread.
>Microwave or put in stove while toasting bread until cheese melts, then cover it over the spinach.
>Profit.

Optional
  • Avocado
  • Sauce
  • Tomato
  • Onion
if tastes horrible, probably used the wrong:
  • cheese
  • wrong amount of mustard or quality
  • too little spinach or an old piece of jam.

pixeltroid

Found a recipe for egg friend rice.

1. Break 2 eggs into a cup of cooked rice. Mix well.
2. Add oil to a pan and saute finely chopped onions and green chilly.
3. Then add the rice+egg mix to the pan and stir for a while.
4. Add some pepper and salt.
5. Add some butter and mix it into the rice.
6. Add some sauce for taste.

Done! It works and is a great idea for boring leftover rice from last night!

ceaselessly

Seafood Pasta!

Ingredients:
- box of your choice of pasta (I like linguine or fusilli)
- 1lb shrimp, peeled
- 1/2 lb scallops
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3-5 tbsp minced garlic (I like very garlicky meals)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups white wine (sauvignon blanc works best)
- sea salt, ground black pepper, crushed red pepper, dried oregano to taste​

Directions:
  1. Cook your pasta according to package instructions.
  2. Warm olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
  3. Saute garlic and crushed red pepper for a few minutes, until fragrant.
  4. Melt about half the butter into the skillet. Add shrimp and toss.
  5. Add wine and bring to boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes.
  6. Add scallops, second half of butter. Cook until scallops are warmed through.
  7. Season with salt, pepper, and oregano.
  8. Add pasta once it is done cooking and mix until ingredients are evenly dispersed. Let sit for a few minutes to soak up some sauce before serving.
I made this the other night and it's one of my new favorite meals. If seafood isn't your jam, try the same recipe with grilled chicken or mixed veggies.

Other cooking thoughts:
  • To make the best breakfast potatoes, use a wok. Also mix in fresh thyme after they're done frying.
  • A chef's knife is worth the investment if you cook often.
  • You're never too good for spaghetti and meatballs. (Even if you don't eat meat.)
  • If you learn to cook 4-5 simple meals really well, everyone you know will marvel at how good you are at cooking.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Decadent camembert loaded rutabaga fries.
20190714_221140.jpg

Not a healthy recipe by a long shot but I like cheese.

For the cheese sauce you will need:
  • Camembert cheese (
  • Medium cheddar cheese
  • Creme
  • Jared Jalapenos
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Chilli powder
  • Bacon grease (from cooking bacon)
Instructions:
  1. Add leftover bacon grease into a sauce pan.
  2. Add camembert cheese (I used about a third of a cheese), and a bit of creme until all the cheese has melted.
  3. Add more creme, and cheddar cheese untill the desired consistency and cheese flavour is obtained.
  4. Add cayenne for that extra kick, a but of Chili powder for a touch of heat, and some nutmeg.
  5. Add chopped up jalapeno, and thin out mixture a bit with a couple table spoons of jalapeno juice (it will thiken up when it cools)
  6. Reserve in very low heat, stiring occasionally.
For the rutabaga fries:
  • 1 rutabaga
  • High smoke point oil (I like avocado oil)
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Cayenne
  1. Peel and cut rutabaga into fry shaped sticks.
  2. Put on backing sheet and coat with oil.
  3. Season, and put in 200°C oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Take out fries, and pour over the cheese sauce. Maybe add some bacon too!
Enjoy!

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Grilled chicken quesadillas with Tabasco chipotle sauce, any kind of cheese, pico de gallo, and buttermilk ranch mixed half and half with sour cream. Do with whatever amounts of each ingredients suited your fancy, but it's best loaded with everything you can fit in the wheat flour tortilla. Best dish I've ever had. Also goes good with ground bison, which I've tried instead of chicken and should be a lot healthier because the meat is more natural and not as modified.

Also, that one is tied first place with this one: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robert-irvine/hoisin-steak-sandwich-2310259

Both are to die for. Leave no ingredients out. You'll regret it if you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peanut Butter Pie
This is a super simple dessert that will surely put a smile on your face and delight your guests. I will warn you, it is dangerously delicious! On a few occasions my friends get into arguments over who gets to eat the last slice! And my boyfriend said, "No! It's all mine!" Albeit I do have approximations for the cream and peanut butter, I usually go with my gut. Whether or not you choose to use crunchy or creamy peanut butter is up to you. I personally use creamy. :)

Ingredients (Imperial):
  • Cream Cheese (8 oz)
  • Confectioner Sugar (1½ cups)
  • Peanut Butter (1½ - 2 cups)
  • Whipped Cream (1½ - 2 cups)
  • Graham Cracker Crust
  • Milk (1 cup)

Ingredients (Metric):
  • Cream Cheese (240 ml)
  • Confectioner Sugar (350 ml)
  • Peanut Butter (350 - 470 ml)
  • Whipped Cream (350 - 470 ml)
  • Graham Cracker Crust
  • Milk (240 ml)
Optional: Chocolate Chips

Directions:
  • Soften the cream cheese. I typically stick it into a microwavable bowl and set it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn yourself.
  • Using a large mixing bowl, take your peanut butter and pour it in with the cream cheese. Although you can use an electric beater for this, just using a sturdy metal spoon and mixing it by hand should suffice. As long as the mixture is fairly creamy with no cream cheese lumps in it.
  • Sprinkle some confectioner sugar onto the mixture then pour in the milk. Be sure to mix it well.
  • Fold in your whipped cream. I personally love using coconut cream or whipped cream from the bakery but some generous dollops of Cool Whip work just fine.
  • Once the mixture is consistent, carefully pour it into a pie crust close it up and set it in the freezer for at least an hour.
  • Your pie should be firm enough to eat OR what I love to do is take several dark chocolate chips and sprinkle them along the top. Gives it an extra richness and I personally love biting into chocolate chips when eating this pie. You're basically eating a giant Reese's cup!

Enjoy! ^^

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Evanski's Casa del loco
Simple nice breakfast of a budget, I guess? Idk i'm not a cook I just made this and thought it was good.

skill level required:
Monkey with two hands

Ingredients:
-Eggs
-Ramen noodles
-tostitos salsa
-tabasco sauce (optional)
-ketchup (optional)

Directions:
open your packet of Ramen Noodles and make as it says so on the packet
take your eggs and makes some scrambled eggs
drain your ramen noodles and place a serving onto a plate as a blanket
place your scrambled eggs on top of the noodles
put some of your salsa on top of your eggs
and your optional toppings from the list above and enjoy!

Chaser

Pizza toast is a nice quick snack I like to knock up.

Grill one side of toast, whilst doing that grate some cheese. Once one side is done, lightly butter the other side and spread a small helping of tomato sauce. Sprinkle on grated cheese and add some oregano. Whack it back under the grill until cheese is nice and golden brown. Voila!

You could also add other bits as well, ham, bacon, jalapeños etc even swap the tomato sauce for bbq sauce if you prefer. :)

GMWolf

aka fel666
Blood orange Duck

20210214_225850.jpg

Duck breasts with a Sweet and sour orange sauce.

Ingredients list:
  • 2 duck breasts
  • 3 blood oranges
  • White vinegar
  • Beef or Veal stock
  • Sugar
Directions:
  1. Trim excess fat from duck breast and lightly score the skin.
  2. Pan fry duck breasts, 3 minutes on each side or until skin is crispy.
  3. Set duck to roast, remove excess fat from pan (leave about a table spoon).
  4. Sprinkle sugar a thin layer of sugar on the pan.
  5. Cook sugar on medium heat until caramelized .
  6. Splash in some vinegar. Caramel should get very hard before dissolving into the vinegar.
  7. Add juice from blood oranges and reduce until thick.
  8. Add equal amounts of veal stock and reduce untill just shy of being thick and sticky (large bubbles should start forming).
  9. Add duck back into the pan, to warm up, untill sauce reaches desired consistency .
  10. Serve duck with pan sauce.

Pro tips:
- Use your excess duck fat and butter to sauté potatoes!
- Add some orange liqueur to your sauce for extra complex flavours. (Grand Marnier or Cointreau)

Last edited:

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
MAXIMUM MUSHROOM CREAM

Made this recipe 2 times already and it's VERY easy to do. Based on a recipe from Adam Ragusea.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 large onion
  • 1/4 cup of flour
  • 400g of mushrooms (any kind)
  • 1 liter of water or Milk
  • 1 can of cream
  • Olive oil or butter
  • Cognac (or whiskey)
DIRECTIONS
  1. Dice the onion and fry until translucent;
  2. Pour the flour to make the roux, mix constantly until golden (add more butter if needed);
  3. Pour the cognac (or spirit) to deglaze the pan;
  4. Dice roughly half of the mushrooms and put them into the pan with the milk (or water);
  5. Simmer for 30 min to 1 hour;
  6. Meanwhile, dice the other half of the mushrooms;
  7. Fry the mushrooms in butter until done;
  8. Back on the simmering mushrooms, blend it with a hand mixer;
  9. Mix the fried mushrooms in (add the cream if you were using water) and deglaze the frying pan with spirits;
  10. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper
You can't go wrong with this, just DON'T use magic mushrooms. XD

GMWolf

aka fel666
MAXIMUM MUSHROOM CREAM

Made this recipe 2 times already and it's VERY easy to do. Based on a recipe from Adam Ragusea.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 large onion
  • 1/4 cup of flour
  • 400g of mushrooms (any kind)
  • 1 liter of water or Milk
  • 1 can of cream
  • Olive oil or butter
  • Cognac (or whiskey)
DIRECTIONS
  1. Dice the onion and fry until translucent;
  2. Pour the flour to make the roux, mix constantly until golden (add more butter if needed);
  3. Pour the cognac (or spirit) to deglaze the pan;
  4. Dice roughly half of the mushrooms and put them into the pan with the milk (or water);
  5. Simmer for 30 min to 1 hour;
  6. Meanwhile, dice the other half of the mushrooms;
  7. Fry the mushrooms in butter until done;
  8. Back on the simmering mushrooms, blend it with a hand mixer;
  9. Mix the fried mushrooms in (add the cream if you were using water) and deglaze the frying pan with spirits;
  10. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper
You can't go wrong with this, just DON'T use magic mushrooms. XD
Omg I love mushroom soups and the like this sounds fantastic!

Gonna make this this weekend. With addition of parsley and substituting milk & creme with butter milk (because ive never had it before and am curious to see what it is).
Cognac seems like a genius addition to what im used to!

This was really good. Cognac works really well for this.
Thanks for this @Kezarus

Attachments

Last edited:

gkri

loykoy.jpg
Loukoumades (Λουκουμάδες)

Ingredients

540 gr. flour, preferably 'hard'
500 gr. lukewarm water (not hot!)
Juice from 1 orange
1/2 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
20 gr. fresh or 7 gr. dry yeast (I prefer dry because it smells less...)
oil for frying
honey for serving
chopped walnuts and / or sesame seeds for serving
cinnamon for sprinkling

Implementation (Pieces: 30-40, Preparation: 30΄, Waiting: about 1 hour)
  1. In a bowl, dissolve the yeast in half the lukewarm water, stirring with a fork or with the egg beater.
  2. Add the orange juice and sugar.
  3. Mix salt with flour. Put the flour and the dissolved yeast in a bowl and mix, adding the rest of the warm water, until it becomes a dough like a thick porridge (you should not be able to knead it).
  4. Cover the bowl with a towel and leave in a warm environment until the dough triples in volume.
  5. Heat plenty of oil in a medium saucepan. With two spoons make small balls (loukoumades) and throw them in the hot oil (that is, with one spoon take some of the dough and with the other push it to fall into the oil). Fry the loukoumades little by little, turn them around with a slotted spoon until golden brown on all sides.
  6. Remove them with a spider ladle and leave them on absorbent paper towels to drain.
  7. Serve drizzled with honey and sprinkled with cinnamon and chopped walnuts.

Last edited: