Windows Terra Nova (JRPG)

2DKnights

A recent discovery in a mine on planet Nova unleashes a frightening new power. What does the presence of this new power mean to the denizens of this planet. Terra Nova features hundreds of monsters, spells, items, and dozens of unique character classes. Inspired by the classics. Terra Nova is a can't miss experience. Come relive the great JRPG's of the 80's & 90's!

• Play in 8-bit or 16-bit mode
  • Turn based or Active battle system
  • Controller/Keyboard Support
  • Character customization
  • CRT & LCD screen filters

Demo

www.2dknights.com/games/terranovademo.zip

If you try/test it please let me know what you think in the comments below.

Last edited:

2DKnights

AVG detected a virus in your exe. I'm a bit confused by the screenshots. Are there two different graphics modes?
Hmmmm?

I used WinRAR to make a self extracting exe. Maybe thats why (i'm not getting the message)
Yes there are two graphics modes press select to swap in game.

Geoff Jones

Ok yes, it was the self-extracting exe- a false positive. It worked when I extracted it manually.
I gave it a try but wasn't able to get past the first few screens. I hit New game, then enter when I saw the controls screen, then it came up with this - with seemingly no way to get passed it. It just seems to bug out.

upload_2019-6-20_16-28-6.png

2DKnights

The window is also very big. It won't work so well for people with 1080p screens.
Z is cancel
X is confirm
Enter toggles the menu (which shouldn't be toggleable in this area)
The window should be resizable and you can go full screen, but youre right i'm used to running on a near 4k monitor

Thank you so much for your input.

2DKnights

Ok yes, it was the self-extracting exe- a false positive. It worked when I extracted it manually.
I gave it a try but wasn't able to get past the first few screens. I hit New game, then enter when I saw the controls screen, then it came up with this - with seemingly no way to get passed it. It just seems to bug out.
I fixed this bug as well and posted a new version at the above link.

Looks great, fantastic work. I love the inclusion of a CRT filter option and the 8bit-16bit toggle option is cool. It must take a lot of extra work to do graphics and music for both styles.

I had a quick play and it is all looking very polished. I liked the way the game introduced the function of all the shops in the first town by way of conversation between the two characters, its a nice way to do a tutorial but have it as part of the game.

I felt the story/exposition/history of Nova with the scrolling words at the start was a little long, it made me wonder if some of this information is all necessary at the start of the game, or could it be integrated into the game itself, with the player characters discovering more of the history during the game, rather than load it all at the start. I'm not saying it needs to be changed, this is just giving you my first raw thoughts I had.

I was amused and pleasantly surprised that the bank had money in it that I could withdraw already at the start of the game, so I could purchase more items.

I had gone and purchased some weapons and armour without realising the characters already had weapons, so I didn't have enough money for potions until I checked the bank and found I could grab some money out.

I'm not sure if you need to have a dialog pop up for the ship captain, it asked me if I wanted to talk to him (yes/no). I mean if I am standing next to him and press the action button, it should just take me straight to the dialog like with the other villagers, right? Unless there is some other reason for that extra pop up to be there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I though the villagers were telling me that there was a bridge to the west I needed to take, but when I left the village and headed to the left, i couldnt see any bridge nearby. Maybe it is further away, but I didn't get that far unfortunately due to a crash.

I went into the forest just next to the starting village, my first battle was some a woman and two goblins. The fight went ok, but I felt for a starting area, the damage they were dealing to my characters was quite high. One of my characters had only 8 HP after the battle, and probably would have died if I had taken any more hits.

I headed a little bit further to the left, still within view of the starting village, and after my second battle with a "porco", I got the following crash error:

Code:
of  Step Event0
for object ObjBattleController:
unable to add undefined to a string
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
called from - gml_Script_copy_battle_stats_back_to_player (line 13)
called from - gml_Object_ObjBattleController_Step_0 (line 467)
The error happened just after I had won the battle, there were a couple of character level up messages and i got a skill point as well.

The two characters were jumping up and down in celebration, but nothing else was happening. I *think* i pressed the "X" key, although I might have pressed Enter as well, cant remember.

Overall, looks great, the dialog was pretty good (it didn't seem to cheesy) and the interface and graphics worked well. I didn't see any big negatives, it seems like a game that is in its final release state.

I might not have time to play it again, but what made me interested to check it out was the 8bit/16bit toggle and the fact it had a CRT filter.